Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by locdb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a noob question... I'm looking into purchasing a new Stern pinball machine. A Star Trek Pro to be exact. I'm confused as to whether I should order a shaker, which is $150 extra or this:

http://flipperfidelity.com/sound/stern-speaker-systems/flipping-fantastic-big-10-inch-stern-speaker-system-208.html

Is the Shaker and a Sub the same thing? Do they mount in the same or different locations on the inside of the pin?

I've noticed that some people will buy a shaker and an external sub, is this a better route to take?

-Don

#2 9 years ago

A shaker motor is exactly that - a compact motor with little weights which spins & shakes the machine (making a small noise). It sits inside the coin door to the left, near the tilt bob. Modern Sterns are programmed to use the Shaker but they're optional extras in most cases. I have 1 in my Spiderman and think it's great! You'd need to put some damping around the backglass and playfield glass to stop annoying rattles though.

That Flipper Fidelity speaker kit is 2 backbox speakers and a beefier cabinet subwoofer - they replace your 3 existing/factory speakers. If it's loud enough you might get some vibrations, but more likely a better quality sound and much more bass. I know some people prefer to just add an external powered subwoofer in addition to the 3 factory supplied speakers to improve the bass - can't comment on that myself as never tried it; prefer to have it all built in where possible. Also have the FF speakers you link to in Spiderman. Sounds awesome at higher volumes.

Both are great upgrades. I'm not sure which i'd choose to be honest. Maybe the Shaker as it adds an extra dimension to the game, whereas the Speakers just make the sound better...

Does that help?

#3 9 years ago

not knocking FF's speaker systems, but this is me and I'd try the -cheap- route first for more bass. MCMelectronics.com 8" 10" 12" (whatever fits) treated paper cone cloth surround woofers are good for 93-97db SPL from the 1st watt of audio power (depending on size-diameter).. VERY efficient and replacing just the woofer, is cheapest quickest and easiest. about 2x louder bass than a typical woofer that'll give 88-90db from the same 1st watt. cheepo backbox speakers are usually pretty well mated to the machines amp section, might be just fine left in place.

you'd get more from a powered sub of course, if you dont mind using another electric outlet for something on the floor to sweep or vacuum around with wires hanging down from your machine to feed it.. depends on how much bass you feel the need for I guess, lol.

#4 9 years ago

Here is a shaker motor and info about it to help you see what it is. Just mounted inside the cabinet, and Star Trek is always pre drilled and pre wired for easy install.

http://pinballpro.net/shop/shaker-motor/

#5 9 years ago

The stock speakers sound good enough for me. More bass might be nice but not sure how easy it is to install a sub. The shaker is designed and built by Stern. Game is already designed to use it. You just bolt it in and plug in the wires. It couldn't be easier and adds a cool effect to gameplay.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 9 years ago

Grab a shaker, don't waste your money on the Fidelity setup...a sub upgrade may be worth it, but the backbox speaker "upgrade" does nothing and is a waste.

#7 9 years ago

Shaker all the way. Sometimes an external sub is good, but shakers are the best.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

The stock speakers sound good enough for me. More bass might be nice but not sure how easy it is to install a sub. The shaker is designed and built by Stern. Game is already designed to use it. You just bolt it in and plug in the wires. It couldn't be easier and adds a cool effect to gameplay.

the inexpensive MCM woofer can add more bass pretty painlessly:
their 8", http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2950 (94db?!)
their 10", http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2951 (95db?!)

their 4-ohm versions perform about the same if the original woofer is 4-ohm, you can, same price.
best bang for the buck that I've seen yet, after LOTS+LOTS of looking. inexpensive but real nice.

#9 9 years ago

I just added an external sub yesterday to my Metallica, and wow what a difference! I picked up one at a pawn shop for 25 bucks and it has made a world of difference. All i did was plug it in and attach alligator clips to the stock sub connectors, and rocked on!

#10 9 years ago

Yep I would say:

1. Shaker
2. Polk Audio Sub
3. Upgrade speakers if you have the money to burn

#11 9 years ago

Thanks a lot, guys, for clearing that up! I will order the shaker with it. -Don

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-sub-flipper-fidelity-speaker-system-star-trek-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.