(Topic ID: 204531)

Shaker Stronger on SAM games than Spike?

By pindude80

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pindude80
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I ordered a shaker from Cointaker for my newly acquired TWD. When I got it there was no labeling on the box, but had instructions in it that said red tremor at the top. I installed it and the thing is strong! When it goes off at full strength I can feel air coming out of the cabinet between the lock down bar and side rails under my hands and it rattles my dmd glare guard loose that is a very tight fit; I have to put it in at the same time as the glass because it won't slide in if the glass is already in. I contacted Melissa she asked me what color the cover was on the shaker, I said white/clear and she said it was a standard and someone put the wrong instructions in the box.

I went over to my Aerosmith, looked and it has the same shaker with the same cover. I played a couple games and it is very soft to where you almost have to pay attention to it to know it was on, kind of too soft really in my opinion. So I am have two shakers in two machines at both ends of the spectrum. That brings me to my question if the shakers are that much stronger in SAM games compared to Spikes and if so why?

#2 6 years ago

That hasn't been my experience. I have both systems with shaker motors, both seem somewhat similar. Are you sure you're using the correct type for spike, it's different connections. On the SAM systems there is a board you add for power supply. On spike, or at least my Aerosmith machine there was an exsisting board (different type) that I plugged into, no additional installation. I would need to check which connector but it was very clear in my instructions, also believe these both were from pinball life. I accidentally connected a wrong wire plug on my new AC/DC 'VE' thank goodness for no damage however it did operate the motor but it was extremely week like you described. Figured it out using test mode & realized it wasn't hooked up correctly.

#3 6 years ago

Something isn't right with your Aerosmith shaker install, but I can tell you really need to order a Pwm controller to tame the red tremor. Out of the box they are way too powerful. I love shakers, but this was too much. When I installed own cntrller I could turn the shake up or down to my liking. Right now I have it at 35 or 40 percent of max. It went from ridiculous to I like this again! There is a thread about adding a cheap Pwm controller t a red tremor shaker...

Quoted from pindude80:

I ordered a shaker from Cointaker for my newly acquired TWD. When I got it there was no labeling on the box, but had instructions in it that said red tremor at the top. I installed it and the thing is strong! When it goes off at full strength I can feel air coming out of the cabinet between the lock down bar and side rails under my hands and it rattles my dmd glare guard loose that is a very tight fit; I have to put it in at the same time as the glass because it won't slide in if the glass is already in. I contacted Melissa she asked me what color the cover was on the shaker, I said white/clear and she said it was a standard and someone put the wrong instructions in the box.
I went over to my Aerosmith, looked and it has the same shaker with the same cover. I played a couple games and it is very soft to where you almost have to pay attention to it to know it was on, kind of too soft really in my opinion. So I am have two shakers in two machines at both ends of the spectrum. That brings me to my question if the shakers are that much stronger in SAM games compared to Spikes and if so why?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from SamIam:

That hasn't been my experience. I have both systems with shaker motors, both seem somewhat similar. Are you sure you're using the correct type for spike, it's different connections. On the SAM systems there is a board you add for power supply. On spike, or at least my Aerosmith machine there was an exsisting board (different type) that I plugged into, no additional installation. I would need to check which connector but it was very clear in my instructions, also believe these both were from pinball life. I accidentally connected a wrong wire plug on my new AC/DC 'VE' thank goodness for no damage however it did operate the motor but it was extremely week like you described. Figured it out using test mode & realized it wasn't hooked up correctly.

I am pretty sure both are right. The shaker in AS was in my GB prior and I ordered it for the spike system. It's been a few months since I installed in AS, but I do remember hooking it up to the board that was factory installed unlike how I added the board for the Sam system shaker. I don't know if I would say the one in AS is extremely weak as much as isn't just nowhere near as noticeable like on my TWD where you think the game is going to split in 1/2!

I wonder if there is some variance in these shaker motors though and the way they are made? My friend ordered a shaker for his GB, installed it and unhooked it because he said it was way too violent and thought it would damage his game, which is the way I feel about the one in my TWD. I thought it was a standard, but I will have to double check with him and report back. If the shaker were just a bit stronger in AS it would be optimum in my opinion. I really like the strength of the factory installed shaker in my Dialed In. You know and feel it when it goes off, but it's not so strong that it feels like the game is going to vibrate apart.

Thanks for sharing your experience and observation. for a little bit I didn't think I was going to get any responses.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Something isn't right with your Aerosmith shaker install, but I can tell you really need to order a Pwm controller to tame the red tremor. Out of the box they are way too powerful. I love shakers, but this was too much. When I installed own cntrller I could turn the shake up or down to my liking. Right now I have it at 35 or 40 percent of max. It went from ridiculous to I like this again! There is a thread about adding a cheap Pwm controller t a red tremor shaker...

I was told the shaker in my TWD isn't a red tremor even though it is very strong. I have a red tremor in my Metallica and honestly I can't tell much if any difference in the two of them. The pwm controller you mention seems like a great solution and something I would like. I think this is probably the thread you were referring to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor I will have to read up on it. I, like you, like shakers but this thing is just way too much and I don't like it as is.

#6 6 years ago

I've found the ones in Spike games to be generally more tame. I think it is due to the control that they have with the Spike system. In SAM the shaker was either full on or off. I'm pretty sure Spike allows them to use PWM and get much more variability. I've noticed with my Ghostbusters that sometimes it will gently shake the game for a while and other times it will shake hard.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I've found the ones in Spike games to be generally more tame. I think it is due to the control that they have with the Spike system. In SAM the shaker was either full on or off. I'm pretty sure Spike allows them to use PWM and get much more variability. I've noticed with my Ghostbusters that sometimes it will gently shake the game for a while and other times it will shake hard.

this was kind of what i was thinking that the spike system controls it differently.

#8 6 years ago

It's very simple order the Pwm control and hook it to your powerful shaker in your TWD and you can turn it down to your liking. I have never seen a shaker as powerful as these red tremors. It even said in the box something about now with more shake!!!! The other games I have stern shaker motors installed and they purr, never move the machine across the floor like the red tremor.

Quoted from pindude80:

I was told the shaker in my TWD isn't a red tremor even though it is very strong. I have a red tremor in my Metallica and honestly I can't tell much if any difference in the two of them. The pwm controller you mention seems like a great solution and something I would like. I think this is probably the thread you were referring to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor I will have to read up on it. I, like you, like shakers but this thing is just way too much and I don't like it as is.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

It's very simple order the Pwm control and hook it to your powerful shaker in your TWD and you can turn it down to your liking.

I did this with the shaker in my Avatar. It was a Red Tremor and was ridiculous. The previous owner had to unplug it because it was so obnoxious on location that patrons complained. I adjusted the weights to tone it down and it was still too crazy for location use. The PWM control finally let me dial it in to be usable.

#10 6 years ago

I ordered 3 PWMs off of ebay last Sunday, they came in yesterday. I installed one in my TWD last night, it works great!! It was super easy to install using the directions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor#post-3060928 The only thing I wish was different was that it came with stand offs and screws to mount it to the cabinet, but I'll figure something out. I have it set at around 50% and it feels great, much more tame, and tolerable compared to unregulated.

#11 6 years ago

Good to know! I got a PWM delivered yesterday and I will be installing it in my new Met Premium tonight. That Cointaker shaker is ridiculous. Sounds like a washing machine off balance going 900mph.

#12 6 years ago

Can you use any stern shaker on sam or spike or are there different shakers for the different systems?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Good to know! I got a PWM delivered yesterday and I will be installing it in my new Met Premium tonight. That Cointaker shaker is ridiculous. Sounds like a washing machine off balance going 900mph.

You'll like it! I unplugged my shaker after about 2 games thinking it was going to rattle the game apart and it really might have caused an issue. I was losing all of my GI and feature lights. I was told which connector is problematic on TWD for this, I reset it and been good so far. I don't really understand why they make them so strong, especially the standard model. I could see the red tremor being extreme, but not the standard. I think they should either include the PWM or sell it and people would enjoy their product more.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PoppyCock:

Can you use any stern shaker on sam or spike or are there different shakers for the different systems?

They are specific to each system. I believe if you use the wrong one on spike it will blow a node board. You can't use the PWM on spike system, it will blow a node board. It seems the spike system controls the shaker differently and it's no where near as strong as the sam system at least with the cointaker system.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
7,760 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-stronger-on-sam-games-than-spike?hl=samiam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.