11 days ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 days ago

Hello, i installed the Pinball Lifes shaker motor to my new TMNT, unfortunately its much too strong.
    https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

I have a shaker on my DP which is 1/3rd of the power, much better. Rattling tape won't help with this problem.
    The in-game settings just provides quantity not intensity.
    i can not turn the weights because there is just one pre drilled hole in the weights mounting pole to lock the weight in place.
    i thought about cutting the weights in half, bad idea? any other options, something electrical maybe?

#2 11 days ago

Is there a threaded rod in the metal housing that goes from one side to the other that you can tighten? My old shaker in my Star Trek Pro had one for that very purpose.

#3 11 days ago

You can try a step down converter like this.

ebay.com link

Or you could use a adjustable motor controller like this.

amazon.com link »

I'm sure others here have some more ideas to slow the motor down. I am against the idea of cutting the weights due to it's a balanced assembly. You would have to weigh each weight on a postal scale to get it right or run the risk of burning up the motor bearings prematurely. Hope this gets some ideas in your head for you to play with.
    -Mike

#4 11 days ago

Following as I've gotba customer with metallica same issue.

#5 11 days ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

You can try a step down converter like this.
    ebay.com link
    Or you could use a adjustable motor controller like this.
    amazon.com link »
    I'm sure others here have some more ideas to slow the motor down. I am against the idea of cutting the weights due to it's a balanced assembly. You would have to weigh each weight on a postal scale to get it right or run the risk of burning up the motor bearings prematurely. Hope this gets some ideas in your head for you to play with.
    -Mike

Don’t think you can use these in spike games.

#6 11 days ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

You would have to weigh each weight on a postal scale to get it right or run the risk of burning up the motor bearings prematurely.

I always thought a shaker was inherently an unbalanced system. Hence, the shake. The weights are intentionally offset. So if you’re saying a gram on one end or the other is the extra weight that will throw the entire system off, I’m crying foul.

#7 11 days ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I always thought a shaker was inherently an unbalanced system. Hence, the shake. The weights are intentionally offset. So if you’re saying a gram on one end or the other is the extra weight that will throw the entire system off, I’m crying foul.

They are designed to shake,yes but the weights are equal so that the shaft does not tear apart the motor bearings.
    These are just a smaller version of what we use on our dump trailer bodies at work.
    Furthermore some shaker weights are offset, some are not. If you have the weights offset the motor spinning will give less vibration but it will last longer. We can usually get 4-5 yrs from the offset weight style motor at work.
    The non offset in our clay bodies last about 2.5-3 yrs depending on how long the driver has it on to get the body empty.
    So you don't think I'm full of shit, here is a video of a dump vibrator in action.
    -Mike

#8 11 days ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Don’t think you can use these in spike games.

You would be putting this in between the vibrator controller and the motor itself. I'm not sure how the mpu would know you slowed things down since it's after the controller.
    -Mike

#9 11 days ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Is there a threaded rod in the metal housing that goes from one side to the other that you can tighten? My old shaker in my Star Trek Pro had one for that very purpose.

yes, i thought about this too and i tightened it to a point where the metal frame got slightly bend.
    i didn't want to go further because i wasn't sure how tight i can make it and how it affects the mechanics. any idea?

also what do you think about cutting the weights?

#10 11 days ago

I think you can rotate one weight. If the weights are both pointing in the same direction you’ll feel the max imbalance (shake). Rotate one weight 90 degrees and check.

#11 11 days ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

I think you can rotate one weight. If the weights are both pointing in the same direction you’ll feel the max imbalance (shake). Rotate one weight 90 degrees and check.

thanks but in my first post i said that i cant do it, because the pole has just one hole where the screw can be locked in, i cant use different positions of the weight.

#12 11 days ago

I always thought the PBL shakers were good, this sounds like a CT "Red Tremor" motor. Those were ridiculous...

#13 11 days ago
    Quoted from Prodoshi:

yes, i thought about this too and i tightened it to a point where the metal frame got slightly bend.
    i didn't want to go further because i wasn't sure how tight i can make it and how it affects the mechanics. any idea?
    also what do you think about cutting the weights?

I’m not sure for this version. On the old shaker I had which was compatible with the SAM system, I tightened the rod pretty much all the way. To make things even more fun, the rod took a flat head screw driver instead of a Phillips. I’m pretty sure I stripped the screw getting it to where I needed it to go. Perhaps contact pinballlife before you do more.

#14 11 days ago

thanks, i tightened the screw even more now and the housing really is bend, but it works!

cheers!

#15 11 days ago

Oh good. Though I’m not sure the housing is supposed to bend, but if it works . . . .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,200.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.95
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 14.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside