New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 143771)

Shaker (Spike) DOA?

By Stack15

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gripwhip
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

87071-Caddyshack-gif-well-were-waiti-ZRtq.gif
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
414289.jpg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with a stern spike system shaker? I just put one in my WM. It was a very simple six step process - basically put it in, screw it down and plug it in. It doesn't do anything.

I don't know much about this spike system. But maybe did I blow a fuse? Anyone know what the orange light means on the side board? That is the only odd thing I see.

#2 5 years ago

Pictures

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#3 5 years ago

There are some different shaker motors/boards out there.

Is the one you got for the Spike System ?

LTG : )™

#4 5 years ago

Yes. Stern Shaker Motor Kit (rev c) for Spike System games.

#5 5 years ago

Does it need to be enabled in the setup portal?

#6 5 years ago

Spike shaker = confirmed.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

#7 5 years ago

And the shaker is set to maximal. Does anyone know if WrestleMania just isn't coded for a shaker? It is weird to have a DOA one.

image.jpeg

#9 5 years ago

Is the game doing anything strange like not being able to start a game?

#10 5 years ago

No. Everything seems to work fine - just no shaker action. All signs point to either a DOA shaker or no game code for a shaker.

I will call stern when I get home.

#11 5 years ago

Had this same issue with mine. After calling Stern they sent out a new node board and it worked perfect after that.

#12 5 years ago

Thank you! That is most helpful.

#13 5 years ago

FYI That's not a Stern Shaker. That an Aftermarket Shaker. Can you test the shaker in another game?

#14 5 years ago

These aren't too hard to troubleshoot. The spike shakers have only two wires. It's a 12vdc shaker so you can give it a bit of 12vdc on those two wires and see if the shaker moves. If so, problem is upstream if not problem is shaker.

#15 5 years ago

WM is my only spike game - I mean there are only three to choose from. I am pretty sure the problem is with the stern board.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

WM is my only spike game - I mean there are only three to choose from. I am pretty sure the problem is with the stern board.

Just to be sure, double-check your shaker motor to ensure that there is NOT a small blue capacitor soldered to it, as pictured below:

414289.jpg

Pinball Life originally had this blue capacitor connected to all of their Spike shaker motors, and it ended up taking out everyone's node board. They had to modify all future PBL Spike shaker motors by removing the blue capacitor (or you could just clip it off).

Just thought you could double-check to make sure that they didn't send you a pre-modified shaker by accident.

If yours never had a blue capacitor attached, then yeah, the issue is most likely the Stern node board.

#17 5 years ago

I called Stern. They picked up on the first ring and were extremely helpful. They are sending me a new "node board" - the little one on the inside of the cabinet.

#18 5 years ago

Thank you everyone. Stern asked me about the capacitor too. None here.

The weird thing = every other shaker I bought came with the side board.

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

The weird thing = every other shaker I bought came with the side board.

Yeah, this is one of the changes with all newer Spike games. The Spike shakers just plug right in to the game's existing node board. I'm glad to hear Stern is taking care of this for you.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

These aren't too hard to troubleshoot. The spike shakers have only two wires. It's a 12vdc shaker so you can give it a bit of 12vdc on those two wires and see if the shaker moves. If so, problem is upstream if not problem is shaker.

I'm surprised the shaker would only be +12v. The manual (WWE, KISS) doesn't tell what voltage that connection is, but I expected more than +12v.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm surprised the shaker would only be +12v. The manual (WWE, KISS) doesn't tell what voltage that connection is, but I expected more than +12v.

Same motor has been used forever. Always 12 volts.

LTG : )™

1 month later
#22 4 years ago

Over a month later = still no action. It is getting frustrating.

#23 4 years ago

What do you want us to do about it? It may not even be a node board. Did you power it with 12v to test like suggest in the start of this?

#24 4 years ago

You did not say if you recieved the new node board from stern,I had my node blow from a shaker

#25 4 years ago

It seems to be stuck in a loop. I called stern 30 days ago and went through the trouble shooting. They told me I needed a new node board, got my name and address and said there would be one in the mail. Ten days later and no package. I called back and stern told me they don't send things directly to owners and I needed to go through my distributor for the node board. I was confused because earlier it was quite clear they were sending one. I am not one of those people who always asks for the name and employee number of everyone they speak. Maybe I should have done that. We went through trouble shooting again and they said I need a new node board.

So I emailed my distributor. They said they would call stern. I followed up two days later and they asked for pictures. I sent those. Followed up six days later and apparently we are waiting on stern. That was five days ago. I have been oddly enough expecting a node board in the mail for over 30 days. I called stern 2x today. They are not answering. I left a message. What else am I supposed to do?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I called stern 2x today. They are not answering. I left a message. What else am I supposed to do?

Its obvious you need to burn their house down

#27 4 years ago

Hahaha. That made me laugh. Thank you.

Stern called back just now. Spoke with Chad and he was great! I think we will get it all straightened out in time for Christmas. I am admittedly kind of hard to deal with. I just want things to work as they should - hence I dumped all my 90s games for newer sterns.

#28 4 years ago

Hopefully in another week or so I can go back to being happy.

1 week later
#29 4 years ago

1 Week Later: So any update?

87071-Caddyshack-gif-well-were-waiti-ZRtq.gif

1 month later
#30 4 years ago

I am having similar issues with a new GoT and a new shaker. It was one made for spike. No blue capicitor. I tested it with a 9 volt battery and it worked fine. It just does not work in the machine. It is set on maximum in the settings. Any way to test it through the menu? Bad node board? The game starts so I don't think it was the previous issue that these shakers were blowing the board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 229.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside