Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

I'm installing a pinball life shaker motor on my JP and one of the two top sockets for the plastic cover has stripped both the included small bolt with lock washer and a backup one I had lying around. The four bolts holding the motor to the bottom of the cabinet are fine and dandy, as is the other bolt and washer connecting the top half of the protective plastic cover, but I think the socket for the other one to hold the bottom half of the plastic cover is just not accepting, and technically killing the threads of bolts.

Any ideas? I'm not a particularly handy guy but I can tell for certain those bolts are stripped after having only attempted to go into that socket.

Thanks as always!

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShineSpark:

Hi everyone,
    I'm installing a pinball life shaker motor on my JP and one of the two top sockets for the plastic cover has stripped both the included small bolt with lock washer and a backup one I had lying around. The four bolts holding the motor to the bottom of the cabinet are fine and dandy, as is the other bolt and washer connecting the top half of the protective plastic cover, but I think the socket for the other one to hold the bottom half of the plastic cover is just not accepting, and technically killing the threads of bolts.
    Any ideas? I'm not a particularly handy guy but I can tell for certain those bolts are stripped after having only attempted to go into that socket.
    Thanks as always!

Figure out the threads and just buy a single tap on Amazon or a local hardware store. I had to do that to a metal bracket that held some plastic on a Stern. Gently ran the tap thru and cleaned up the threads...done in like a minute.

For example:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 1 year ago

What mbwalker said. And if that doesn't work, drill and tap to the next size larger.

#4 1 year ago

Thank you both! Will give it a shot.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShineSpark:

Thank you both! Will give it a shot.

I should add mine was a 4-40 if I'm not mistaken (i.e. small). Grab a known nut size to figure out the bolt thread, likely a number 6 or 8. I just got a pinvise to hold the tap and turn it by hand. Just let the tap guide itself along the existing threads. Definitely was no-brainer easy in the end. I mentioned it was a minute job - really wasn't even that.

Don't forget to tell us how it worked!

#6 1 year ago

success! thanks again.

#7 1 year ago

Yay! Easy peasy, right? What was the tap size?

#8 1 year ago

Tell us what you did.

1 week later
    #9 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShineSpark:

success! thanks again.

Sucks when people ask for advice. They get advice. They resolve their problem, but don't tell us what the solution was.

People search for issues and find these posts, read through hoping to find what the solution was, but the OP never brings closure.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Sucks when people ask for advice. They get advice. They resolve their problem, but don't tell us what the solution was.
    People search for issues and find these posts, read through hoping to find what the solution was, but the OP never brings closure.

LOL, at least it was probably an easy fix (run the tap thru). But yeah, like not reading the last page of a book.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

LOL, at least it was probably an easy fix (run the tap thru). But yeah, like not reading the last page of a book.

Yeah. Or maybe he was too embarrassed to admit he was using the wrong screw? I guess we'll never know.

I can't tell you how many times I've come to Pinside to search for a solution to a problem I am looking to solve. I read all kinds of suggestions and recommendations in a thread, but the "last page of the book" is blank....or "problem solved, thank you all for the help." Geesh.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Yeah. Or maybe he was too embarrassed to admit he was using the wrong screw? I guess we'll never know.
    I can't tell you how many times I've come to Pinside to search for a solution to a problem I am looking to solve. I read all kinds of suggestions and recommendations in a thread, but the "last page of the book" is blank....or "problem solved, thank you all for the help." Geesh.

Hi guys,

Sorry, I've been out of country for the past ten days or so and haven't checked pinside.

I used the 4-40 and was initially concerned that I had really messed things up but after a couple of attempts I got the bolt threading snugly.

Played a few games and did another check on tightness and no issues.

Thank you both!

Evan

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from ShineSpark:

Hi guys,
    Sorry, I've been out of country for the past ten days or so and haven't checked pinside.
    I used the 4-40 and was initially concerned that I had really messed things up but after a couple of attempts I got the bolt threading snugly.
    Played a few games and did another check on tightness and no issues.
    Thank you both!
    Evan

LOL, thanks for the update! Case closed.

If the bolt is a little loose after awhile, try some BLUE Loctite. Don't use the RED. Blue isn't as strong as red, and allows for removal if needed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-stripped-socket?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.