Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by wizzardz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I installed a shaker motor in the SM last weekend. Last night is started making a squealing sound at times when running. I'm going to pull the cover tonight to check for anything obvious. Anyone here have this issue that was resolved by a process other than an exchange?

#2 12 years ago

If you can still exchange it that may be the best way to go. I haven't noticed anything like that with mine knock on wood.

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

If you can still exchange it that may be the best way to go.

agreed...I have an email into pinball life to see how they handle things like this. I was hoping it was just something that could be tightened, or loosened, or moved, etc.

Update: Just got an email back and the guidance is "Contact cleaner sprayed into the motor will fix this." Not really the guidance i was expecting....but will try it. I seems to me that simply spraying contact cleaner into the motor isn't necessarily a good thing

#4 12 years ago

A brand new motor? Request an exchange.

#5 12 years ago

exchange, the contact cleaner would be a temp fix at best. It is not perfect.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

the contact cleaner would be a temp fix at best. It is not perfect.

Agreed. I guess I'll try a little spray first and if it comes back or otherwise kills it, then I'll take it to the next step with pbl,

#7 12 years ago

Dry motor shaft bushing. Is there a lubrication access in these units? I wouldn't want to flood the armature area with a cleaner, it could break down the varnish that insulates the windings and short the armature thus making it run hot, weak and possibly fail all together.

Call it DOA, (it stopped working before you could try their quick fix) and send it back for a replacement before it's to late to send back.

#8 12 years ago

Seems like most everyone will have this issue. I've had 2 shakers that did this. One I returned, the other I tried to fix myself.
If yours has the cross bolt going across the top of the shaker you can try this.

Loosen the bolt almost completely.
Push up and down (directly toward you and down to toward the bottom of the cab) on the motor iteself. You may hear it click up and down on one side of the motor.
Push the motor down toward the bottom of the cab and tighten the cross screw back up. You should then try and move the motor back up and down. At this point it shouldn't move.
Pull the interlock and go into test mode and test it. If it squeals, repeat the procedure but move the motor to the top instead and tighten.
I did this with also adding one tiny drop of Mobil1 motor oil to the shaft of the motor and it seems better. It may or may not work in all cases.

#9 12 years ago

Oil is a bad idea because it will attract dust into the wrong place and it will ruin the motor in the long run.

#10 12 years ago

Ya I know, but squealing is worse for my nerves. The drop was about as big as you can fit on the tip of a toothpick.

2 weeks later
#11 12 years ago

Just an update on this. My squealing/squeaking came back after a while on mine too. Emailed Terry and got the same response to spray it with contact cleaner.
Took the motor out, sprayed either end and in the motor itself. A little bit of black residue came out from the inside of the motor. Let dry and reinstalled.
No more squeaking.... for now anyway.

#12 12 years ago

Mine was whining/squealing in my Iron Man. I took it out, took the end plates off, and lubricated the bushings. I don't think these things have bearings, just sleeve bushings, so lubrication is needed. Not a ton, just a little. No more squealing.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

and lubricated the bushings.

What did you use?

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

What did you use?

Teflon spray lube. I don't know if that is the best thing to use but it is what I had on hand.

1 month later
#15 12 years ago

Took a bit to exchange and get reinstalled. I've had it in a week and so far no noise. I did, however, move one of the weights 90 degrees (but left shaker use to maximal). I actually like it better with a slightly less aggressive shake the 90 degree turn gives. I also don't hear the other rattling I heard when the shaker was more aggressive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-squealing-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.