• Latest reply 10 years ago by Rensh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shaker.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I read a post awhile back that somebody else's shaker motor was sounding like a broken muffler on their Metallica and the way they fixed it was to tighten the weights. I check my weights and they seem tight to me but I really do not know what to look for or how to tighten them. So my question is how do I tighten my shaker motor weights and what tools do I need? Also I remember reading some were that you can losin or tighten them to get them more balanced. All help is appreated thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Interesting you say this, as my ACDC shaker is shit compared to the one I had on my TFLE. I don't have much experience with shakers so now sure what they should be like. The TFLE was smooth and the ACDC is violent like you describe.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Interesting you say this, as my ACDC shaker is shit compared to the one I had on my TFLE. I don't have much experience with shakers so now sure what they should be like. The TFLE was smooth and the ACDC is violent like you describe.

I think it has something to do with the weights but I do not know how to adjust them. Help any budddy .

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I think it has something to do with the weights but I do not know how to adjust them. Help any budddy .

I think that might of been me. You have to use an allen wrench to tighten the hex set screws that attach the weights to the motor.
I checked mine by removing the box over the shaker and runnin the shaker in coil test mode. Make sure no wires are in the way of the shaker when you do.

#5 10 years ago

I have to take off my plastic cover or else I get that "rattling" sound.....

#6 10 years ago

You can re-position one of the weights on the shaker to make the two weights less out-of-balance. They are both oriented the same by default. If you rotated one 180 degrees, they are fairly balanced and the shaker doesn't do much, but rotating one about 90 degrees is a nice middle ground. I did that on my Metallica, as that shaker was much more violent than those in my other machines. There is a dimple on the motor shaft where the allen head set screw rests, but I haven't had issues since rotating mine off of this dimple. Just make sure the set screw is tight.

Also, I just fixed a rattle issue on my Iron Man shaker that was not caused by the orientation of the weights. Rather, the motor itself had come loose from the mounting bracket. I used some metal strapping to hold the motor down tight to the bracket and that solved the problem. Let me know if you would like some photos of this. Good luck!

#7 10 years ago

Yes, photos please! Good stuff! No shakers perform alike and many seem poorly tuned or balanced.

#8 10 years ago

Here's a pic. I moved one of the weights 90 degrees for illustrative purposes. On this particular shaker I actually have them set in the default position. You can see the metal strap that I used to hold the motor to the bracket.

Shaker.JPGShaker.JPG

#9 10 years ago

I fixed the promblem you just have to tighten the rod that is right above the motor. Their is a nut on one side and a screw on the other. You have to use a screw driver to hold the screw in place while you tighten the nut on the other side. The shake is really tight and silent now and feels great when shocking sparky.

The pin is for sale:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/huo-metallica-limited-edition-246-w-617-in-extras

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

You can re-position one of the weights on the shaker to make the two weights less out-of-balance. They are both oriented the same by default. If you rotated one 180 degrees, they are fairly balanced and the shaker doesn't do much, but rotating one about 90 degrees is a nice middle ground. I did that on my Metallica, as that shaker was much more violent than those in my other machines. There is a dimple on the motor shaft where the allen head set screw rests, but I haven't had issues since rotating mine off of this dimple. Just make sure the set screw is tight.
Also, I just fixed a rattle issue on my Iron Man shaker that was not caused by the orientation of the weights. Rather, the motor itself had come loose from the mounting bracket. I used some metal strapping to hold the motor down tight to the bracket and that solved the problem. Let me know if you would like some photos of this. Good luck!

+1 did exactly the same

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 25.50
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 29.95
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-sounding-like-a-broken-car-muffler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.