(Topic ID: 39538)

Shaker Motor: Must have...or most overrated add-on in Pinball?

By FLpinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01.jpg
    th-1.jpeg
    sylmar1971.jpg
    0f0522e2e0c6afb42d573d01e7e68346_four_.jpg
    4542014_std.jpg
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

I added one to my LOTR LE this last weekend and I really like it. It seems that it's use was well thought out and not overused. My JP had one and it was cool too, but sometimes a little obnoxious.
    -Barry

#52 11 years ago

ok on xmen, great on afm

#53 11 years ago

Is it too late for a poll to be added?

#54 11 years ago

I love the sound and feel of a shaker motor. When I owned an IM, I thought the game play was great but there was something missing. Added a shaker...complete! Shakers go into all my games, keep in mind I am now strictly a newer Stern collector.

#55 11 years ago

Who has a Shaker in their X-Men ? and is it Worth it ? I need 2 know !!!!

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Who has a Shaker in their X-Men ? and is it Worth it ? I need 2 know !!!!

Worth it just for when you get to Avalanche in Brotherhood mode alone.

Storm mode is pretty sweet too.

and I really don't like shaker motors just from all the troubles I've had with them lol.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from muttonboy:

Worth it just for when you get to Avalanche in Brotherhood mode alone.
    Storm mode is pretty sweet too.
    and I really don't like shaker motors just from all the troubles I've had with them lol.

Thank's , I guess ..

#58 11 years ago

As far as mods go... It is better than a whiplash with an LED insert... Shakers add to the expirience. Definitely better on newer games, but add so much life to the games.

#59 11 years ago

Console game designers have long passed the gimmick stage with controller rumble and recognize its use for vital information delivery, not just for making big explosions seem cool. If you're playing modern games, I'd recommend turning the feature back on.

What I've always wondered, and it has been mentioned, is if rumble significantly moves the tilt bob. It would be cool if someone who owned a machine with a significantly powerful shaker could video tape the tilt bob to show how much it moves JUST from the shaking. I've played on a lot of different machines with varying shaker performance/tilt settings and haven't experienced a danger just from the shaker going off.

#60 11 years ago

All the people who put their groins against the machines say it's a must have.

#61 11 years ago

I added one to my AFM and I'd say it's a the-it-or-leave-it upgrade. For a much as I wanted it, I'm just not THRILLED to have it.

-M

#62 11 years ago

First off, the most over rated items are Toppers hands down. Shakers can be cool, but just throwing them on anything isn't going to work.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

First off, the most over rated items are Toppers hands down. Shakers can be cool, but just throwing them on anything isn't going to work.

Exactly, I installed one in IJ, it's cool but not as interactive as I thought it would be so i was a bit disappointed. It's probably why Martin still has it 'in test'

#64 11 years ago

Pinball vibrator. Useless, ridiculous add-on. These things are a joke. Aftermarket toppers are in the same crap bucket. Less is more.

#65 11 years ago

The shaker for wwf royal rumble is great, every target makes the machine shake, it give a different feels to the gameplay. But it's a thing that you either loves or you don't, you got to try it if you want to know.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Added a shaker to Tron - loved it, but now that I'm used to it, I don't really notice it's there. I think the FF sub is a better mod.
    IM integrates the shaker really well.

Great minds think alike...I was just about to say the same thing about my IronMan. First game Ihave owned with a shaker, and at first, it was incredible. Really drew me into the game. Although it still is set on max, I hardly notice it anymore.

Dan

#67 11 years ago

Out here in Cali, we get used to shakin', so shaker motors are a must!

#68 11 years ago

Shaker...I hardly new her.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Out here in Cali

Nobody from California calls it "Cali". That's East Coast Slang...

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Nobody from California calls it "Cali". That's East Coast Slang...

Wheres that?

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wheres that?
    » YouTube video

I Don't think so. LL is from New York.

#72 11 years ago

How to tell a true Californian? When the big one hits, we ride it like a surfboard. Easterners usually start running in the direction of Nevada.

#73 11 years ago

East Coast people always say, "I'm going to Cali". Just like that.

The other sign is when the person says, "out here", like you said. We don't say "out here".

We just say "here".

#74 11 years ago

East Coast people always say, "I'm going to Cali". Just like that.

The other sign is when the person says, "out here", like you said. We don't say "out here".

We just say "here".

Truth be told- most of the people around here came from somewhere else (heaven knows where), so we pick up a little slang from all over, without having to get on a plane. But I've ridden out quite a few quakes since this one hit in 1971.

0f0522e2e0c6afb42d573d01e7e68346_four_.jpg0f0522e2e0c6afb42d573d01e7e68346_four_.jpg sylmar1971.jpgsylmar1971.jpg

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

most of the people around here came from somewhere else

So where are you from then?

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

East Coast people always say, "I'm going to Cali".

"I'm heading to Frisco." That pisses them off

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

Is it too late for a poll to be added?

Do it bro if u can. I started this thread

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

So where are you from then?

Just past Uranus.

#80 11 years ago

This was previously stated, but I never had one until I owned TFTC. I can't imagine Tales without it. Love the shaker.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just past Uranus.

So you are talking out of Uranus.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

So you are talking out of Uranus.

Yes I am! I am from the place listed next to that red dude on the left. How bout yourself?

#83 11 years ago

I am from Washington, D.C. but been in AZ for 9 years. NEVER said "Cali" before moving. Now,we always say "Cali"

#84 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

I am from Washington, D.C. but been in AZ for 9 years. NEVER said "Cali" before moving. Now,we always say "Cali"

I worked with a bro from NY who aways said "out here in Cali"- monkey hear, monkey say!

#85 11 years ago

Can you hook a shaker up to a pinball mat? Don't worry...it'll happen before x-mas

#86 11 years ago

cool vid, huh? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I worked with a bro from NY who aways said "out here in Cali"- monkey hear, monkey say!

Fair enough. Proves the point. I notice because I'm a native.

#88 11 years ago

Can't we all just get along?

th-1.jpegth-1.jpeg

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

I for one swear by the shaker in STTNG. Even though it is tied in with the flashers, it's amazing how well the shaker reacts to certain activities during the game......BTW, the most overrated game add on is figurines (especially if its over 50.00 worth). I have them in my LOTR and they came with it, I could care less if they were not included.

Quoted from tilt-master:

Actually, I added the FF kit as well and it does add to the experience quite nicely. This is why a good amount of us all our own machines, mod how we want and share our experiences. I experienced playing a sttng with a shaker as well as a FF kit on someone else's machine and i had to have them! When it comes to mods, to each their own.
    As far as gimmicky, I'm not sure what that means, aren't most machines gimmicky to a degree?

Yup, think the shaker is my next move for my STTNG. FF speakers, ColorDMD, Shaker... Maybe powder coat at some point. I'm gonna need a second mortgage.

#90 11 years ago

» YouTube video

love the guitar lead!!!...one of my favorites

#91 11 years ago

aww man...THIS is the LEAD part I was thinking of

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

cool vid, huh? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

they have some WIIILD ones!

#93 11 years ago

I can't believe no one has mentioned JP's shaker. If there is ANY game that integrates a shaker well, it is Jurassic Park - especially during "Feed T-Rex". Just the sounds of the T-Rex getting closer, man, so well done on so many levels. And when multiball started and the T-Rex ate the ball with all the shaking going on = epic win.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from redmamanora:

I never met a shaker I didn't like.

#95 11 years ago

Definitely the most overrated mod in pinball history. It's hilarious how people add these things to EVERYTHING. Wow, my pinball shakes! that's almost as awesome as my pinball lighting up the floor!

Honestly once one person did it, the lemmings took over and now everyone has to put a shaker in everything in order to have a collector quality pin.

Sometimes I wish pin collectors were more like vid collectors, where getting the machine back to its *original* glory was the ultimate goal, not tricking it out like some east LA low rider.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

aww man...THIS is the LEAD part I was thinking of

You want a wild LEAD part? Check this one from 1978.

#97 11 years ago

I'm thinkin' Chili Peppers pinball machine!

01.jpg01.jpg

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from ButtonMash:

Sometimes I wish pin collectors were more like vid collectors, where getting the machine back to its *original* glory was the ultimate goal, not tricking it out like some east LA low rider.

That's not "collectors" that's just the fruits over on KLOV....that get butthurt over saying that you can buy something cheaper from an online retailer than paying for their overpriced parts...

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That's not "collectors" that's just the fruits over on KLOV....that get butthurt over saying that you can buy something cheaper from an online retailer than paying for their overpriced parts...

Unless you're referring to crappy inkjet repro art, I have no idea what you're talking about. Everyone buys everything online

#100 11 years ago

I'm not a super-mod-led enthusiast but I think adding a shaker to Congo would add to the experience since the erupting Volcano stops play and erupts and all ... but the shakers are not cheap at $250 US and Pinbits is sold out anyway. But I am keeping markmon's great tutorial handy nonetheless: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/congo-shaker-motor-turorial

WWF:RR's shaker is relevant and fun, imho.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-must-haveor-most-overrated-add-on-in-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.