(Topic ID: 39538)

Shaker Motor: Must have...or most overrated add-on in Pinball?

By FLpinball

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

01.jpg
    th-1.jpeg
    sylmar1971.jpg
    0f0522e2e0c6afb42d573d01e7e68346_four_.jpg
    4542014_std.jpg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

Greetings! First of all have three games with a shaker motor including my MM. I have played the MM with the shaker motor with and without. Its not like my gameplay with the shaker motor was any better then on the game without. IMO, the shaker motor adds nothing to the gameplay experience. So to the room..is the shaker motor a must have on certain games...or is it much to do about nothing?

#2 7 years ago

Some games I like it. Like Balrog shaking on LOTR, or on the Bally Harley Davidson pin revving up the motor, TFTC.

And some I think it's a loud annoyance.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Not having a shaker for IM or SM is like play-n a EM ,,, Shaker's are a Must have ..... My opinion ..

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Not having a shaker for IM or SM is like play-n a EM ,,, Shaker's are a Must have ..... My opinion ..

Can you elaborate further as to why?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from FLpinball:

+1 on that.

I've gotta hear the rationale for considering pins with that much speed/flow as EM's...

I love it on Tron. It's the first game I've had one on. I knew that soon as I played a Spider-Man with a shaker that they had potential to be awesome. I never noticed them before that.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from FLpinball:

Have you played an ES ? That's why .. Went i installed a shaker in SM and Tron ,, Man I Love the Rumble ,, for $ 150.00 to $ 175.00 it's the Best mod ( besides CoinTaker's Leds ) to have ..

#7 7 years ago

The two most performance enhancing mods in pinball are the shaker motor and high performance glass. Both are musts for high end games in my book for sure.

#8 7 years ago

Good call out..and yes have owned/played several. Here is my take. LEDS, mirror blades,PDI Glass, etc, all make the game more visually pleasing. In turn enhance the gameplay experience. For me the shaker motor does not do that at all.

#9 7 years ago

Shaker on Tron didn't seem that great to me, shaker on my TFTC is awesome

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Maybe practice shooting the spinners in Zuse fast scoring.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

In a way Yr rite ,, but it was still Cool to have in there & the Flipper fidelity System was Awesome !! I had to get some Anti- Rattle tape from Tekman to take care of the vibrating p/f Glass ..

#12 7 years ago

Shaker on LOTR is exciting and adds to game play immensely. On CSI not so much as it only activates on the jackpots, the centrefugue actually is more of a shaker in the game. Sopranos alas has no Shaker support. Can anyone speak to their game play experience with a shaker in STTNG?

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from paulohotline:

Shaker on LOTR is exciting and adds to game play immensely. On CSI not so much as it only activates on the jackpots, the centrefugue actually is more of a shaker in the game. Sopranos alas has no Shaker support. Can anyone speak to their game play experience with a shaker in STTNG?

Shaker in STTNG is tied into flashers as far as I am aware. There's no actual code support for it, the board just does some finagling with timing when it's triggered. That said, everyone I've ever seen talk about it swears it's awesome and worth the money.

#14 7 years ago

Really like the feedback the shaker gives on SM

#15 7 years ago

I love the tactile feedback of a shaker on MM, AFM and SM. Haven't played many others with one but it's a must have on those games IMO.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Shaker in STTNG is tied into flashers as far as I am aware. There's no actual code support for it, the board just does some finagling with timing when it's triggered. That said, everyone I've ever seen talk about it swears it's awesome and worth the money.

I for one swear by the shaker in STTNG. Even though it is tied in with the flashers, it's amazing how well the shaker reacts to certain activities during the game......BTW, the most overrated game add on is figurines (especially if its over 50.00 worth). I have them in my LOTR and they came with it, I could care less if they were not included.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from wilsonza:

I love the tactile feedback of a shaker on MM, AFM and SM. Haven't played many others with one but it's a must have on those games IMO.

Why is that?

#18 7 years ago

I love shakers. I have one in my STTNG and I cant imagine playing Borg MB without it. So immersive.

Good call by Cliffy on Harley Davidson. I was amazed the first time I experienced the skaker. It seamlessly integrated with the engine revving audio. Really felt good and natural.

I love the shaker implementation on 24. It really adds to the impact of gun fire.

Probably any type of concussive effect would be enhanced by appropriate shaker code.

Why would anyone want to deprive themselves of another sensory experience, provided its well-integrated and tasteful?.... Ok, so maybe I'm not sure I want to smell my machines yet

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Agreed, I would add one to a lot of my games if I could. Gladiators has enough shaker for five machines!

#20 7 years ago

loved it on BBH, ok on acdc and marginal on wolverine

#21 7 years ago

I done the shaker mod for my congo which I got from a fellow pinsider.

Its a must for congo. When the ball locks in the volcano or the volcano erupts for multi-ball its great! Also pulses on left ramp and bottom playfield on unlit targets.

#22 7 years ago

I love the shaker on my TFTC and think it brings something to pinball.

#23 7 years ago

I love the shaker on my TFTC and think it brings something to pinball.

And then some!

4542014_std.jpg

#24 7 years ago

For SM the shaker with a sub woofer makes for a great experience.When I play a SM without those I feel like something is missing.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

I for one swear by the shaker in STTNG. Even though it is tied in with the flashers, it's amazing how well the shaker reacts to certain activities during the game......BTW, the most overrated game add on is figurines (especially if its over 50.00 worth). I have them in my LOTR and they came with it, I could care less if they were not included.

Actually you don't need a shaker in STTNG if you upgrade the speaker system and put a really nice subwoofer in. The the shaking is more integrated into sound and gameplay.

I think generally-speaking, unless shaking fits in with the theme (like Earthshaker or Road Show - in the case of Road Show the shaker motor is programmed to behave differently depending upon whether there's an explosion or an idling bulldozer), but in games as a "mod" that isn't directly related to the theme, I think it's gimmicky.

#26 7 years ago

Its a must, the game and video interact very well with them. I just set i at moderatly .

#27 7 years ago

It was a fun gimmick on ES, but beyond that IMO they are annoying. If I bought a pin that had an aftermarket one it would get removed and sold.

#28 7 years ago

Shakers are mods and add to the overall experience of the game. Some like them but others don't care. For me the shakers all enhance the experience similar to the sub woofer. Together the seem to enhance it even more. I like feeling the rumble when hitting the castle, the ship, the volcano erupts.

If you tried a few and don't like them then save your money. I can't imagine something in this thread all the sudden making your want a shaker.

#29 7 years ago

I never met a shaker I didn't like.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

The two most performance enhancing mods in pinball are the shaker motor and high performance glass.

Wait. I can improve my performance just by using a shaker and special glass? Will it last for more than 4 hours?

Neither will improve scores. Didn't we just have this discussion?

Quoted from phishrace:

Why on earth would I pay money for a device that starts the tilt bob moving before I've ever nudged the machine? They should pay me to put one in my game.

I see why they are big sellers, but to me, they're more a novelty item for casual players. Fun for a couple of games, then meh. More for impressing friends and neighbors at home.

#31 7 years ago

I think they are good for some games (like Ironman) but i wouldn't want them in every game

#32 7 years ago

I like shakers and think they add to the overall enjoyment of the game especially when integrated well.

For the games I have shakers in I would rank them in order of best integration:

1. SM - Can't imagine playing my SM without one. Integrates so smooothly with sandman and video clips. It makes such good use of the shaker and is not overdone.

2. LOTR - Subtle but effective use. I think they also did a very good job with implementation and does not feel forced. Used well throughout game.

3. STTNG - Maybe it's my shaker but the thing is not as smooth as the stern shakers. (or maybe its the age of the game and the cabinet) but there's more rattling than I like. That being said it's great with the modes and I love feeling the feedback when battling the borg and other effects. No it's not tied into code but they did an excelelnt job of tying it into the flahers and effects.

4. XMLE - I like it but it I suppose it's the least effective of the four shakers I have. I have the FF full kit and sometimes I can't tell if it's the shaker going off or the sub pumpiung it out ( i.e. Sentinel mode!)

In short love the shaker and think its a must mod if imnplemented well with the game and theme.

#33 7 years ago

Great addition on certain games like MM, AFM or LOTR. But completely pointless on most games.

#34 7 years ago

IMO shakers are a must for the right themed pins. I have a RS, when I purchased it, the owner didn't know anything about it, or about pin repairs. He was amazed that I took off the glass to look under the pf. The bar was stuck on the glass from spilled drinks. Over all the pin was in great shape. When I got home, I hooked the wires up and wammo, shaky, shaky! The shaker give the feel of being on a bulldozer. It's a must for this pin. As for most pins that came with shakers, I feel it's a must to have too. Also, I love to a newbie play it for the first time, I get weird looks and comments that they think the pin is broken.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Wait. I can improve my performance just by using a shaker and special glass? Will it last for more than 4 hours?
    Neither will improve scores. Didn't we just have this discussion?

Actually, the special glass can improve scores depending. The game becomes ultra clear and it's easier to follow the ball and see what's happening in the back of the machine. Unlikely your scores will skyrocket but it could have at least some impact depending on ambient lighting.

#36 7 years ago

One of the greatest additions to video game consoles was the force feedback controller. The original Playstation 1 Dualshock with motors inside each handle of the controller that shake when prompted to by the game. Your character knocks on a door and the controller shakes. You fire a gun and the controller rattles like crazy. Added a new level of immersion for games. I remember playing a demonstration unit of Metal Gear Solid with a rumbling controller and being sold immediately.

I hope that more companies, especially JJP and Stern, start building shaker motors into their games as stock items. And designing certain shots and modes around the motor and not just having them programmed to go off with certain triggers or given a cursory function. If you don't like it you can always turn it off.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Actually you don't need a shaker in STTNG if you upgrade the speaker system and put a really nice subwoofer in. The the shaking is more integrated into sound and gameplay.
    I think generally-speaking, unless shaking fits in with the theme (like Earthshaker or Road Show - in the case of Road Show the shaker motor is programmed to behave differently depending upon whether there's an explosion or an idling bulldozer), but in games as a "mod" that isn't directly related to the theme, I think it's gimmicky.

Actually, I added the FF kit as well and it does add to the experience quite nicely. This is why a good amount of us all our own machines, mod how we want and share our experiences. I experienced playing a sttng with a shaker as well as a FF kit on someone else's machine and i had to have them! When it comes to mods, to each their own.
    As far as gimmicky, I'm not sure what that means, aren't most machines gimmicky to a degree?

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

loved it on BBH, ok on acdc and marginal on wolverine

Get to Brotherhood Multiball...defeat Toad, Blob, and Pyro...then you get to Avalanche - his power is creating earthquakes. So....yeah, that's the most shaking I've ever seen a shaker shake!!!

#39 7 years ago

I've heard negatives, but I really think a shaker would wake up TOM. But we would need better eddy boards.

#40 7 years ago

I get why people like them, but I do not.

My only reason... They have HIGH, or off. I just feel in some situations the vibrations is just completely over the top. My only big issue with any shakers.

I think vibration in controllers was incredibly gimmicky too. It didn't add much for me and was often set to off. Honestly if it wanted to vibrate properly and feel like it truly immerses me in the situation it should do more then just vibrate on explosions and what not. Give me a small light vibrate on foot steps etc.

#41 7 years ago

Just got an AC/DC Premium. Played it several days and then added a Shaker! Loved it!!! Also added an amp and upgraded the the backbox speakers. Like the shaker upgrade much better than the other.

#42 7 years ago

Added a shaker to Tron - loved it, but now that I'm used to it, I don't really notice it's there. I think the FF sub is a better mod.

IM integrates the shaker really well.

#43 7 years ago

I added a shaker to my AFM and I love it. It makes it feel like your really destroying the mother ship. But I would not want one on my other games. It has to fit into the game to add value.

#44 7 years ago

Seemed right for Earthshaker.

I wonder if these cause vibration damage to the components of the game. Has anyone with these experienced any vibration damage?

#45 7 years ago

It's like vibrating console game controllers. Seemed like a cute gimmick a few times, got old fast, and before long I found myself turning it off entirely. I bought one for my Tron because people said it had amazing integration with the game. I find it's something that I rarely notice, and when I do it's usually because it's annoying.

I think it's sort of cool for the themed games (though I unplugged the motor on my Road Show after 2 days), but total overkill for most games.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Added a shaker to Tron - loved it, but now that I'm used to it, I don't really notice it's there.

You would notice it gone!

#47 7 years ago

I had a wwf and loved the shaker motor and I have a road show and the shaker motor is incredible. Love them on those 2 games

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

I wonder if these cause vibration damage to the components of the game. Has anyone with these experienced any vibration damage?

Never. The game probably got shaken in a more potentially damaging way when being shipped from Chicago or transported from location-to-warehouse-to-auction-to-house-to-house than it ever would from a shaker motor.

#49 7 years ago

Must have for AC/DC (prem). Playing War Machine and hitting the spinner is the best shot in the game due to the sound and vibrations.

#50 7 years ago

My IM is an expirience with the speaker upgrade and shaker...awsome!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.25
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 8.99
    Electronics
    Dr. Dave's Pinball Parts
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 289.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 30.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    £ 50.00
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside