(Topic ID: 114019)

Shaker motor install in recent Stern (AC/DC)

By PinNerd

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

motor scheme 1 (resized).jpg
shaker board (resized).jpg
15857926369121792778373502951870 (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

Installing a shaker motor in AC/DC, brand new parts. I actually read and followed the instructions--I know, shocking! Powered up, checked the game settings, played a couple games, nada. Completely dead.

Traced back through the wiring, everything looks correct. Proper connectors, no misaligned wires, everything connected tight. Pulled the motor and tested it on a bench supply at 12 VDC, it turns.

Found a meter and tested the supply voltage to the shaker driver board. According to the docs, power on the 7-pin connector should be 16 VAC but I'm seeing 8.3 VAC so that seems way off. Can someone with a shaker installed in a recent Stern verify the voltage across pins 1-7 on J1 of the motor driver board (#520-6803-00).

Many thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I had a look in my ACDC and I think you bought the wrong board. The board in my machine and shown in the manual is 520-5065-00. The board you have is for the older Data East/Stern games.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6803-00

You need the newer Rev B board:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1637

#3 9 years ago

This turned out to be caused by a wiring harness error from the factory. It is a simple mistake and was easy to fix. But it should have been caught by the QC process when the harness was assembled. I will post details of the error and fix here in case it can help someone else.

There is a harness that comes with the shaker kit that has a long black/yellow wire to provide ground to the shaker motor driver board. One end of the black/yellow wire connects to the shaker motor driver PCB, the other end connects to J16 on the power/driver board in the backbox.

The backbox end of the harness is inserted in between J16 and the existing wiring playfield harness. The black/yellow wire connects to J16 on the power/driver board to provide a ground signal. The existing playfield harness then plugs into a Z-connector on the shaker harness that connects it back to J16.

When the Z-connector is installed at the wrong end of the harness, the black/yellow wire is not connected to anything so there is no ground reference for the shaker driver. The Z-connector MUST be installed at the end of the jumper cable WITHOUT the black/yellow wire.

Also, once everything was working I checked the supply voltage to the shaker driver board and it is about 10 VAC, not 16 VAC. Everything works so I have to assume that correct.

#4 9 years ago

John_I, my board says Rev B so I thought I had the right part but it is clearly a different part. I will add that board to the list of parts I need and swap it out. Thanks for the help.

1 year later
#5 8 years ago

Kudos to PinNerd! I've been on the phone for the past couple of hours with my friend trying to get this working on his acdc premium.
And... success!
Just to make it clear, there are two wiring harness/connectors involved here. They are bundled together. Stern had the z-connector attached to the wrong wire harness. They also painted wrong wire harness that they reference to in the instructions to distinguish between the two.
So, I had my friend just switch the z-connector to that other harness and we cranked it up. Success!!!
Thanks so much for the writeup, PinNerd!

Enaud

3 years later
#6 4 years ago

As someone new to fixing these machines. Can anyone offer pictures to explain what needs to happen. I have a ac dc premium and the shaker motor does not move. It has a rev a board.

Please offer some insight.

15857926369121792778373502951870 (resized).jpg15857926369121792778373502951870 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Found it. The J16 is behind the back glass at the top. The connector was reversed just as PinNerd stated. The ground wire went no where. Reverse the wiring harness and bingo, ground goes to J16 and you are in business. This works only with board Rev A, board Rev B does not have the ground wire tap.

Machine was supposed to have a working shaker, this thing never worked. Now it works just fine. The PO helped me thru figuring it out. Many thanks to pinball enthusiasts here and everywhere.
My shaker is missing the cover and screws, anyone got that ?

4 months later
#8 3 years ago

I have the same problem on my Harley Davidson 3rd edition, only 8v AC between redwhite&blue. i have 520-5065-00 rev.A - what should i check?

shaker board (resized).jpgshaker board (resized).jpg

motor scheme 1 (resized).jpgmotor scheme 1 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

16,500 (Firm)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-install-in-recent-stern-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.