Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acupunk12
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi, I'm kind of on the fence about adding a shaker motor to my first pin, GZ. Kind of worried it'll bang up the hardware and if its worth adding. in theory it could be a sweet addition and add another level to the experience on the other it could be an annoyance. any feedback would be appreciated.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

Hi, I'm kind of on the fence about adding a shaker motor to my first pin, GZ. Kind of worried it'll bang up the hardware and if its worth adding. in theory it could be a sweet addition and add another level to the experience on the other it could be an annoyance. any feedback would be appreciated.

I wouldn't hesitate. Takes the game to the next level

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from acupunk12:

I have shakers on all my games and never had an issue caused by them. I'd say don't let a concern about hardware getting banged up stop you from getting one. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

#4 1 year ago

I am definitely not in the "shakers on everything" crowd. They seem silly to me in most contexts.

But I've played GZ with a shaker in it, and it was great. Really works fantastically for that machine.

I have a Rush pin, and I'd never bother putting a shaker in it. But I hope one day to have a GZ in my collection as well, and that one for sure will have a shaker.

As far as maintenance goes, sure...I guess there's a theoretical possibility it could add to the maintenance overhead. But in practice, I haven't seen any evidence that it's worse for the machine than the usual vibrations pins get subjected to. Shaker or no shaker, you have to make sure all your connections are secure, and the most critical components are in the backbox, further from the vibrations from the shaker anyway.

If anything, the fact that pins are mainly a bunch of PCBs now, tied together by CAT6/RJ45 cabling, should make them a lot less susceptible to shaker-induced issues. If they could get away with a shaker motor way back when in Earthshaker, I'm pretty sure it's fine today.

#5 1 year ago

Shake it up! Agree with the statement that it takes the game to a new level.

#6 1 year ago

Don't be worried aboot it; won't hurt anything.
    It works decently with the game.

#7 1 year ago

Must have

#8 1 year ago

Any particular shaker to buy?
    I see pinsound sells one (as do others).

#9 1 year ago

Just buy a Stern one from a distributor on line like marcos or pbl. Make sure it's for a spike if that's what you have. Older models use a different wiring harness.

Pinsound is to retro fit old machines that didn't originally have them.

Other 3rd party shakers are an acquired taste.

#12 1 year ago

Has anyone tried/compared the Pinball Life brand shaker linked above versus the Stern Authorized shaker on the site? Is there a difference?
    - https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html
    - https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-factory-authorized-shaker-motor-kit-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

I notice the Stern Authorized has been out of stock since before Expo plus $26 more. Thanks.

#13 1 year ago

I installed a pinsound one as it's easier to get in Europe.
    Designed specifically for spike 2. Plus straight in and works well.
    Can't compare to others though.

I run it at low or medium for my preference.

#14 1 year ago

I think the shakers are essentially the same except the factory authorized stern shaker keeps the warrantee valid

#15 1 year ago

I think the pinball life also has an adjustment to minimize rattling

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strohz:

Has anyone tried/compared the Pinball Life brand shaker linked above versus the Stern Authorized shaker on the site? Is there a difference?

I have had both in games I bought. I buy pinballlife only now as cheaper and work great. Btw I think Godzilla has the best shaker effects of any game I have owned. Besides wear protection only must have mod IMO

#17 1 year ago

I use the “minimal” setting on a stern shaker on Godzilla.

I find “max” setting to be ALOT of shaking. “Minimal” Feels good to me

#18 1 year ago

thanks everyone for all the help. much appreciated (:

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shaker-motor-for-godzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.