Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-732.jpeg
015.JPG
235535.jpg
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So I go on a trip for a day and this thread is suddenly jumping again. That being said anyone with a players condition White Water out there let me know I can put them side by side and decide for myself.

They do look very nice together that's for sure. I picked up the Wh20 last week-end, a 15 hour road trip.
015.JPG015.JPG

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

They do look very nice together that's for sure. I picked up the Wh20 last week-end after a 15 hour road trip.

NICE! Now take those gawd awfull blue Gi lights out and get that looking sharp!

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

NICE! Now take those gawd awfull blue Gi lights out and get that looking sharp!

LOL, the machine came that way and I like the blue gi for some reason.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Shadow is a brilliant game but the Farley Claymore mode lets it down for mine.

I'd pay money to get someone to replace that awful dialog.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah me too mate.
It is the big sticking point on the game for mine and will ultimately determine if I keep it or not.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

when I visit a collector with the stock translite it's kinda fun, but I know where I stand on Baldwin.

th-732.jpegth-732.jpeg

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

It is the big sticking point on the game for mine and will ultimately determine if I keep it or not.

The game has Farley speaking in a gay lisp, yet in the movie Tim Currie plays it totally straight.

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-shadow/farley-traps-the-shadow/

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The game has Farley speaking in a gay lisp, yet in the movie Tim Currie plays it totally straight.
http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-shadow/farley-traps-the-shadow/

That's exactly right, plus the music in the Farley mode is totally out of sync with the rest of the game. It just leaves me scratching my head every time I hear it.
Such a shame.

#59 9 years ago

Farley is one of the reasons I let my first Shadow go. But now that he's back, it doesn't really bother me that much. I just make sure I get a few good punches in during the Claymore mode.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just make sure I get a few good punches in during the Claymore mode.

I try to only start that mode with Battlefield lit and take him up there to throw him through some glass.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I try to only start that mode with Battlefield lit and take him up there to throw him through some glass.

Does the battlefield stack with Farley mode? This would be awesome.

#62 9 years ago

Wh2o is great with a fun theme but The Shadow has a lot to offer for $2,500.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I just looked up on the rulesheet. I'm totally going to try this tonight.

#64 9 years ago

I think the Shadow is cool but it doesn't have the same all-around draw that White Water has and feels a little sterile in comparison. The theme, art, progressive music, and ramp madness of White Water all intergrate well. That being said, it's hard to beat Shadow when you look at the value. I kind of think Shadow is the better long-term buy, even though White Water would be easier to sell if you don't tend to hold on to games.

Also, if you find White Water "easy" then you've got it set up wrong. First, ball save? Seriously? Why not set it on 15 balls? Why not take the glass off and use your finger to hit the microswitches? Psshhhh. What's next, ball save on Taxi? The home ROM is great but fuck the ball save. Second, open up that right outlane and see what happens to your scores. Third, if your lost mine has been castrated to hand the ball to you on a silver platter then no wonder the game is so "easy." Lastly, the old school arcade sounds on games from that era are bad-ass.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Second, open up that right outlane and see what happens to your scores.

Seriously. If your ball is going into the boulder garden now and you're just relaxing waiting for it to come out instead of shaking the machine in fear, then you've got it set up easy.

#66 9 years ago

I always found pop bumpers -> right outlane similar to TZ pop bumpers -> left outlane -- High Risk!

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

If course, almost everything stacks in the shadow.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Troutfarm:

If course, almost everything stacks in The Shadow.

I realized that, but I didn't know that the battlefield would count for hits on Farley.

#69 9 years ago

it does
although the scoring is terrible when you use the battlefield.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

yes it does. It's the easiest way to finish Farley mode.

#71 9 years ago

I went on the battlefield during Farley last night. If I didn't know I was getting hits I'd have no idea since it is playing all the battlefield sounds during the mode. I let the ball fall off the battlefield though to confirm the hit meter was going down.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I went on the battlefield during Farley last night. If I didn't know I was getting hits I'd have no idea since it is playing all the battlefield sounds during the mode. I let the ball fall off the battlefield though to confirm the hit meter was going down.

Should have just kept bashing targets, you'd know you were getting hits when you heard Farley, you're drooling or whatever he says and then the scream that I love so much.

#73 9 years ago

You don't actually have to "beat" the scene to light it towards Final Battle, correct? Just play it?

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

You don't actually have to "beat" the scene to light it towards Final Battle, correct? Just play it?

Correct

#75 9 years ago

And thank f-ing goodness too! There's no Tron style flashing/solid, you just start it and it stays lit. Light all of them and you're golden, you'll see the insert on the scarf light up.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And thank f-ing goodness too! There's no Tron style flashing/solid, you just start it and it stays lit. Light all of them and you're golden, you'll see the insert on the scarf light up.

I've finished all of them except Hotel Monolith - is there an ending? I've entered the hotel and killed a bunch of mongels, but alwasys drain a ball before any sort of finish

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

I've finished all of them except Hotel Monolith - is there an ending? I've entered the hotel and killed a bunch of mongels, but alwasys drain a ball before any sort of finish

I think it just keeps going, I can't remember anything happening, but maybe it takes more shots than I've managed.

#78 9 years ago

:DHave wh20 and love it after reading this thread bought a shadow today can't wait hope it's good never played one

#79 9 years ago

Someone get me a wh2o

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

:DHave wh20 and love it after reading this thread bought a Shadow today can't wait hope it's good never played one

You made a good call, don't worry about it, absolute Bally/Williams classic. Which from your current collection I can see you appreciate.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I try to start the vengeance mode when Farley is on. Vengeance music overrides other modes.

#82 9 years ago

You know my feelings about Shadow - one of the best pins ever....Whitewater is good - but that Shadow is something!

5 years later
#83 4 years ago

Not Shadow but...

I have a chance to change my DE Star Wars for White Water. Now for me it is a tricky question.
If you were me which pin would you prefer and why?

Love both, play and fun are great on both.
What should I do?

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The home ROM, Version LH-6 is the bomb for WH2O. It fixes a lot of bugs and completes the software nicely. A lot of game were never updated to this. They all should be. Even if you turn off the ball saver.
=======
Home Version LH-6:
NOTE:
The LH-6 ROM is "free play only". It will not take money to do pay-for-play.
This is the "home version" of the latest commercial release L-5, and includes MANY changes, features, and upgrades. A listing of these is below.
Because of the extra software and features added in this version, the LH-6 ROM revision comes on a larger 8mb ROM chip. It will directly replace the smaller 4mb ROM chip used for previous versions- no circuit board modifications are required.
Changes since commercial version L-5:
New "Ball Save" feature added. This returns the ball to play if it is lost within the first few seconds of play (something not featured in earlier releases of software for this game). This feature can be adjusted from "Off", to anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds time. 3 seconds is the default value.
The timed "5X Playfield" (or "Five Times the Fun") mode now no longer counts down during the animation at the start of multiball. What this means is that if you are stacking (saving) multiball for the "5X Playfield" mode, you won't run down the timer of 5X while waiting for the multiball to start. More fun, more play, bigger points
Score display now shows correct 5X scores for making two, three, four, and five-way combos during "5X" mode.
Bonus Hold feature now works! After collecting Bonus Hold, there will be an extra "held bonus" countdown sequence in the normal bonus countdown at the end of the next ball. If you're on your last ball of the game, you'll get the regular bonus and the held bonus at the same time. Held bonus is added after counting the hazards, boulders, and rafts, but before the bonus is multiplied. So stacking the held bonus with higher multipliers (river classes) gives you bigger points. And River classes (2X, 3X, etc) will now not reset if bonus is held.
New playfield lighting effects added during bonus countdown sequence.
New playfield lighting effects added during start of "Man Overboard"
mode.
Bigfoot now occasionally "sympathizes" with you if you lose your last ball after having a good ball and scoring/playing well.
"Fade out" music added after game over/match sequence. The music plays for a little bit and then "fades out" like later model games do.
Occasional Bigfoot "scream" at game start, or addition of second, third, player, etc.
Occasional Bigfoot "scream" when the last ball drains through one of the outlanes.
High score initials will no longer reset if left/abandoned, and the mode times-out.
Vacation Planner status is no longer displayed during multiball modes.
Delay of about 1 second added to kickout from Lost Mine after No Way Out.
Playfield 10 point switches won't score points before the ball scores a main target or switch.
Bigfoot Hotfoot mode now correctly ends when game is tilted during mode.
Jet bumper values have now been corrected for multi-player games.
Bonus Hold value is now corrected for multi-player games.
Display effects added during bonus count mode.
Bonus Hold award added on successive ramp shots (6, 35, 65, 95).
River Class (bonus X) now no longer resets if bonus is held.
Camera Craze award is now awarded on loop shots.
Boomerang Bend right orbit shot is awarded if a slow ball exits through the Secret Passage. (Boomerang Bend hazard is awarded before Secret Passage is).
Total bonus display is now correctly shown in Status Report.
Bounce Back is correctly lit again at the start of multiball mode, even if Bounce Back is in the process of timing out.
Whirlpool Challenge display effects now show correct state when mode is started a second time during the same ball.
Ball kickback (Bounce Back) is now fired during the standard ball search mode.
Time remaining in modes (including 5X) are now paused while the ball is out of play, and during multiball start display/sound effects.
Grace period added for main multiball. Scoring a Jackpot during re-match will not cancel out the re-match.
Waterfall lights (on top of backbox) will now start again after a tilt occurs.
Game over lighting effects and music (fade-out) added at end of game.

So, if you are a potential buyer for a whitewater, The best way to check for it having an improved rom, is if it has a ballsave?

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

So, if you are a potential buyer for a whitewater, The best way to check for it having an improved rom, is if it has a ballsave?

This question dedicated for me?

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

Not Shadow but...
I have a chance to change my DE Star Wars for White Water. Now for me it is a tricky question.
What should I do?

Trade. Now.

#87 4 years ago

Like both, owned both, sold both, bought another shadow. Shadow wins.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Like both, owned both, sold both, bought another shadow. Shadow wins.

Currently own Whitewater. Can’t get enough of it. I’ve owned Shadow. Miss it and I know I will have another someday.
Wait until you get that I500 you are looking for....makes them both seem like EMs! Haha!

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Currently own Whitewater. Can’t get enough of it. I’ve owned Shadow. Miss it and I know I will have another someday.
Wait until you get that I500 you are looking for....makes them both seem like EMs! Haha!

I will have one soon! Waiting for the right deal, will probably end up with another white water one day.

#90 4 years ago

WW gameplay is difficult in this tutorial Bowen couldn't reach the final episode.
I miss also the video mode but the 5x mode is great at all even at the multiball.

2 weeks later
#91 4 years ago

Shadow. While I love Whitewater, especially the layout (it’s even in my top ten of pins). The reliance on the 5x multiplier to dominate scores, and the chopping wood to get to the river class level 6 for Vacation Jackpot make it weaker.

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

Not Shadow but...
What should I do?

Seriously. Do this trade immediately.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Seriously. Do this trade immediately.

Agree. DE Star Wars for WhiteWater? No brainer

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Shadow. While I love Whitewater, especially the layout (it’s even in my top ten of pins). The reliance on the 5x multiplier to dominate scores, and the chopping wood to get to the river class level 6 for Vacation Jackpot make it weaker.

Getting all the modes started on Shadow can feel like chopping wood with that tight shot at times. The key with Whitewater is to go in with the mindset of getting to Vacation Jackpot as fast as possible, then the game really shines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 12.95
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-vs-white-water/page/2?hl=onlydjz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.