Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• The Shadow 117 votes
    61%
  • Congo 76 votes
    39%

(193 votes)

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

Shadow.

Better pin AND movie!!!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I would put the whole package of Congo up against almost any pin. The artwork and colors are killer and the whole jungle theme just rocks for me. The sound and dots kick ass also.

Unless you count the match sequence ...

#53 6 years ago

TS for me, no question. Congo is a good game too, however.

#54 6 years ago

Both are mediocre. Don't buy either one. Been there,done that.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I would have kept Congo if it wasn't for the music and the Amy Gorilla voice. Nails on chalkboard.

AMY!

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Both are mediocre. Don't buy either one. Been there,done that.

"Been there, done that. No one else do it because I'm bored of boring things, pinball is boring."

#57 6 years ago

Shadow with zero hesitation...but I tend to not like non-mode based games.

#58 6 years ago

I would prefer to own both of them.

1 at a time though. TS to me is a clear winner but congo is a very cool game.

#59 6 years ago

I own both.

Shadow is genius. Diverters are so unique, but quite honestly I don't use them too much. The flow is pretty good here, unless things are missing, i.e. ramp covers. You'll get errant balls flying around, etc. The upper pf is a good break from gameplay and I like this aspect. I also love the modes. Also, the filling up of the scarf prior to Final Battle is really neat.
There are a lot of parts that get a lot of abuse in this game, some difficult to locate if needed. The light show is terrific.

Congo is amazing. The flow here is better in my opinion. As much as I love the magnet on TS and multiball, Congo tops it with the volcano eruption multiball. Just so cool. The lower playfield here is alright and does get more difficult as the game progresses. I like the sound and music much more on Congo than on TS.
It's a more understandable game than TS, but still is hard as hell, especially trying to reach 100 diamonds. And the MAP bonuses go on for awhile.

TS is a much more difficult pin and is more suited for the advanced player, whereas Congo is more geared towards newbs, etc. But there is just something about the theme, music, and mystery of playing Congo.

Congo for the slight win in my book.

#60 6 years ago

Two different games with very different character to them:

Congo- Trudeau design means that shots are going to be unusual and getting the gorilla JP from the upper flipper is a HUGE reward on this game. I really like the skill shot options and don't know of any other game that starts out by sinking a ball into the outlane and having it kicked back onto the PF. Because the game isn't as mode based and linear as many other decks are (esp. of this vintage). The interesting thing about this deck is that the game becomes "goal oriented" due to the rules of the game. For example:

Light the G-R-E-Y and work the gorilla before you time out.
Light M-A-P and hit the saucer ASAP.
Light the AMY mode and score the JP's right quick.
Light the Multiball and go to work!

Most of these goals require qualification and quick completion. In that sense, Congo is a skills based table that if set up fast, with open outlanes, steepened and nasty, you may not think this is such an easy game.

The Shadow- Eddy's design is fast deadly and even the 2 way loop combo is no gimme. Many different Shadows have different sweet spots at speed from the upper flipper and between the secondary scoring choices of ramps/loops, modes and even the upper PF, there is lots and lots to do. If mystery programmer could cap/ time out the 2 loop combo, this game would be nearly perfect.

I usually stay away from the upper PF, but it's just too much fun to play breakout on a pinball deck. I have to remind myself that the feed out of the upper Pf from the bottom is random and dangerous during tournaments. Between long and tight shots on the right, and short and dangerous shots on the left... a surprising amount of backhand shots make the difference between controlled play and wild flailing. As you might guess, the wild flailing is a sure sign of impending pin-doom!

Oh yes, I have owned the Shadow for at least 6 years and I have never completed the 7 way combo. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend... HA!

Between the two, I like Congo and I own Shadow. I might get a Congo if it was the right deal. The Shadow is not going anywhere, ever. If you don't like the Shadow when it is playing as it should, what kind of a pinball player are you?

Game over conversation:
TS - "The Shadow knows..."
C2S- "Yo' Momma's phone number!"

#61 6 years ago

Nice write up Caucasian.

Honestly I wouldn't trade one for the other. Both will stay in my collection.

I agree that TS needs to be dialed in for the best experience. I just bent my left ramp targets down a bit to avoid ball hops. Seems to work so far.

#62 6 years ago

Balls careening over the lane guides into the outlanes are the best!

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

So I'm guessing this isn't just my TS that does this?

Pisses me off royally.

#64 6 years ago

All I know is I am enjoying my Congo and Spraynard's Shadow, having pin collecting buddies is the best. Access to twice as many games at half the price.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pisses me off royally.

My shadow has never done this. My batman forever does it all the time, but never on shadow.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pisses me off royally.

Been driving me bonkers! I just moved swapped my targets around hoping it would cure the problem....nope. Gonna try bending them down as Blackbeard mentioned.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

"Been there, done that. No one else do it because I'm bored of boring things, pinball is boring."

Some are boring. You own the shadow I restored. Is it still holding up good? Did you get the extra NOS drops & upper playfield parts? If not,I may still have them but I think they were in the folder with the manual when I sold it to the guy you got it from.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Some are boring. You own The Shadow I restored.

Well I'm glad it bored you because I love it!

Quoted from Breadfan:

Is it still holding up good? Did you get the extra NOS drops & upper playfield parts? If not,I may still have them but I think they were in the folder with the manual when I sold it to the guy you got it from.

I need to shop it, but otherwise doing great. Not sure what folder you're thinking of, the manual is in a binder, at least how I got it, no drops or parts that I know of.

#69 6 years ago

The standup bend is the simple solution. Make sure to bend the supporting post behind the standup and readjust the switch contacts as necessary.

#70 6 years ago

All I did was pull the glass and pull the supporting posts forward a bit. I didn't have to mess with the target contact, etc.

Took all of 3 secs and I think it's a bit better. I HATE losing balls over the outlanes on a jump like that. Horrible.

#71 6 years ago

Keep an eye on that adjustment. It may need some bending from the thicker post behind for the fix to stick around. Have fun!

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I'm glad it bored you because I love it!

I need to shop it, but otherwise doing great. Not sure what folder you're thinking of, the manual is in a binder, at least how I got it, no drops or parts that I know of.

Hmmm. I had some NOS parts for that pin. If I find them they're yours. Glad it went to a good home that enjoys it. I had fun restoring it,but never got into the game play like I was hoping I would. Had to sell to help fund my BIBLE.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Hmmm. I had some NOS parts for that pin. If I find them they're yours. Glad it went to a good home that enjoys it. I had fun restoring it,but never got into the game play like I was hoping I would. Had to sell to help fund my BIBLE.

Hey, if you find em let me know, thanks, but no worries. And it's easily one of my favorite games, so all teasing aside happy to have it.

#75 6 years ago

Actually, the thing that bugs me more than anything else is adusting the switch so that the ball doesn't hang up on the right diverter of the left ramp.

#76 6 years ago

I'm curious to see how BSD would fare in this poll. Top 3 under $3k DMD showdown.

#77 6 years ago

Congo, not a close race for me. I think it is one of the best games available.

#78 6 years ago

Have both , love both games. Shadow by a nose. But really really close .

#79 6 years ago

Congo! Can't beat that volcano shot. Besides, who wants Alec Baldwin's ugly freakin' mug staring at you all day?

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Imagineerie:

Besides, who wants Alec Baldwin's ugly freakin' mug staring at you all day?

That's what Aurich's custom translite is for.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Imagineerie:

Congo! Can't beat that volcano shot. Besides, who wants Alec Baldwin's ugly freakin' mug staring at you all day?

Ya, that excuse isn't valid anymore Can't wait for my shadows makeover!

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Can't wait for my shadows makeover!

You should have it next week.

#83 6 years ago

Both great games . Name any other pin that are as unique as Congo and shadow. They don't exist .totally different gameplay from your typical pin and the retro theme on shadow kills.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Both great games . Name any other pin that are as unique as Congo and Shadow. They don't exist .totally different gameplay from your typical pin and the retro theme on Shadow kills.

I can name 2 that are probably even more unique. Bally Escape from Lost world and Blackwater 100.

1 month later
#85 5 years ago

rebuilt the arm on the switch to the right on the left ramp. Extending with a 1" wire made a big difference as well for the leverage point of the ball.

#86 5 years ago

BOTH ARE GREAT IN THEIR OWN WAY.

#87 5 years ago

looking for a good example of Congo in the Pacific Northwest! I havent played this game but love the theme and will hopefully track one down to play in the near future

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I own both.
Shadow is genius. Diverters are so unique, but quite honestly I don't use them too much.

Diverters are the only way to easily score high on Shadow, start using them

#89 5 years ago

I am interested in Congo if someone is selling

#90 5 years ago

i smell a bidding war! Anybody?

#91 5 years ago

Already own congo and Shadow will be showing up soon. Friend that wants his cleaned up is "loaning" it to me in exchange for me cleaning it up.

#92 5 years ago

I would trade my Shadow for a Congo.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I'm curious to see how BSD would fare in this poll. Top 3 under $3k DMD showdown.

I actually thought seriously about including that in the original poll, as it's also a brilliant sub-$3k game. I forget why I didn't. Maybe it's time for another poll!

*edit* I remember now - I didn't include BSD because of the higher production numbers; I think production numbers tend to influence these polls, as people frankly tend to vote for what they have. I know that gets into a bit of a "what came first, chicken or egg," but regardless, it seemed like Congo and Shadow were more comparable to each other than BSD. BSD also seems to be a bit cheaper than the other two - under $2k for a player, whereas a player Congo or Shadow seems to be mid-twos.

2 years later
#94 3 years ago

I FINALLY had an opportunity to play a Congo, and now I'm a position to comment. Congo is a great game, it's fun, there's some great flow, nice ramps, and some unique action at the top of the playfield. I think the art is quite nice, reminiscent of an Indiana Jones adventure. However, I could see myself tiring of it sooner than a Shadow, so I think it works in a larger collection. It's definitely fun, the kind of game you could come back to, and is more accessible for non pinball players. I'm not a fan of the lower playfield... It seems random, but the volcano is so cool!

If I had to pick, I'd choose Shadow however. Shadow is deeper, has amazing flow, more of a challenge, clever modes, better video mode, booming sound, and offers many ways to approach the game for high scores and wizard mode. There is lots do do outside of wizard mode and will definitely last longer in a home collection. It also has some cool toys, like the Sanctum, diverters, and playfield. My pick goes to Shadow.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I FINALLY had an opportunity to play a Congo, and now I'm a position to comment. Congo is a great game, it's fun, there's some great flow, nice ramps, and some unique action at the top of the playfield. I think the art is quite nice, reminiscent of an Indiana Jones adventure. However, I could see myself tiring of it sooner than a Shadow, so I think it works in a larger collection. It's definitely fun, the kind of game you could come back to, and is more accessible for non pinball players. I'm not a fan of the lower playfield... It seems random, but the volcano is so cool!
If I had to pick, I'd choose Shadow however. Shadow is deeper, has amazing flow, more of a challenge, clever modes, better video mode, booming sound, and offers many ways to approach the game for high scores and wizard mode. There is lots do do outside of wizard mode and will definitely last longer in a home collection. It also has some cool toys, like the Sanctum, diverters, and playfield. My pick goes to Shadow.

Spot on. I had Congo for two years. Loved it to death, but it's really a shallow game and ultimately had to go so make room for something with a deeper ruleset.

#96 3 years ago

I've owned them both and Shadow is the clear winner for me.
Congo is a fun game but Shadow is in another league altogether imo.

#97 3 years ago

own both. Congo still wins.

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Spot on. I had Congo for two years. Loved it to death, but it's really a shallow game and ultimately had to go so make room for something with a deeper ruleset.

Same here, it's a good fun game but it is pretty easy to beat and gets old quickly in a small collection.
Shadow on the other hand can be brutal and is much more of a challenge to complete.

#99 3 years ago

I like fun games. Congo is probably the most pure fun--great shots, great flow. Life is enough of a challenge...I don't need another game that I'll never complete the wizard mode on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Elkhart, IN
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside