Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mdclips
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04CCF260-821D-44D4-9C73-176D36701CA6 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

I owned and both, loved both, and sadly regret getting rid of them. If you could bring one back, which would you bring and why? Or would you recommend something new. Currently I have Whitwater, World Cup, Stern Spidermand, Star Wars Pro, Willy Wonka LE.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

Sell Willy Wonka and get both back.

#3 2 years ago

I have Shadow and Congo sitting right next to each other. After owning many B/W 90s games, these are the only two still around.

I love Congo, but Shadow is the winner.

#4 2 years ago

My favorite B/W machines are Congo, WH2O, Shadow and twilight zone. I’d go Congo or mix it up and add a Tron

#5 2 years ago

I do like Congo, but would give the nod to The Shadow. I owned it, loved it, and would still own it if I had more space Most seem to praise how well it shoots, which I agree with, but I absolutely love the modes. Some of the best from that era for me from a story/immersion standpoint

#6 2 years ago

Owned both and enjoyed congo much more.

Shadow is great and has the cool diverters, etc., but I found the theme a little dark and boring. And I seemed to like the shots more in congo.

#7 2 years ago

I like both but prefer Shadow because of the different modes.

#8 2 years ago

Can't go wrong with either but its a vote for Congo in my book. One of those movies I grew up watching over and over on VHS so I am definitely bias.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Aeolus7:

I absolutely love the modes. Some of the best from that era for me from a story/immersion standpoint

Definitely agree here. The modes on shadow are so much fun and all different. The rules are also just better in Shadow. Congo shoots a little a smoother but the rules get boring quick.

#10 2 years ago

I own both. Shadow > Congo for me.

#11 2 years ago

I really like both titles and even though the gorilla mini pf is a bit bland Congo is still the winner for me.

I agree with previous person, sell Wonka or Spidey and go full classic 90s games, so much fun there!

#12 2 years ago

Where is the poll?

#13 2 years ago

Owned both. Congo got a lot of play from the kids and guests. Shadow I played more. If one were to come back it would be Shadow. It's a much tougher and more challenging game.

#14 2 years ago

Have had both. Congo. It really flows

#15 2 years ago

Congo is fun but it's way too easy (but I really enjoyed playing catch with Amy!). Shadow is much more of a challenge and has a lot more staying power in a home collection.

#16 2 years ago

Big Shadow fan but I would rather Congo back.

#17 2 years ago

How about Mando vs Road Show

#18 2 years ago

CONGO is great. Can not go wrong with gorillas and jungle

#19 2 years ago

I've tried to like Shadow but I really don't like it at all. I do like Congo a lot, so I vote for that. But to each their own.

#20 2 years ago

Shadow over Congo, had them both and The Shadow remains. I do miss Congo though...

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-Geo:

Owned both. Congo got a lot of play from the kids and guests. Shadow I played more. If one were to come back it would be Shadow. It's a much tougher and more challenging game.

This is a good point. I'm amending my earlier statement by saying the Congo is better for non-pinheads - much easier to just walk up and play. The Shadow is way tougher with a lot more going on.

#22 2 years ago

Have a Congo right now, waiting for it to be collected, design flaws are numereous & its not that good im afraid, dont get me wrong its a good game but little issues in design like ball hang ups on the volcano, make a volcano shot and ball just falls of the habitrail either side of instead of coming back to the right flipper, unobtanium duel plunger diverter which is flimsy, scoops too close to a fl11629 flipper coil, the shot hardly ever stays due to the power. i dunno, just little annoying things with the design is why its not a keeper for me & my game is serviced with new coils and assemblies / sleeves etc etc everywhere. Shadow all day long

#23 2 years ago

Owned both more than once and my verdict is Shadow all day long in every department. From layout to rules to sound to music to art.

Congo is ok but it has the DUMBEST gimmick playfield in pinball history, the stupid monkey game that is impossible not to beat, and way too many dumb video modes. Every game seems the same to me, always follows the same "path" with the same awards in the same order and such, and way too much "stop and enjoy this video mode/monkey game" stuff. I get burnt out on it pretty quick.

The battlefield > monkey game
    One fun video mode > 5 dumb ones
    Sick silver Pistol > plunger with endless repeatable skill shot
    Layout = both pretty good but I favor Shadow
    Rules/ sound / music - I personally favor Shadow but like everything that's subjective.

Congo I liked at $900 12 years ago but at current prices I really think they are overrated and overpriced. I'd have no problem paying current Shadow prices if I were in the hunt, it's a better game.

#24 2 years ago

I too am a fan of both. If I could only have one it would be Shadow. As a 3rd option you could bring in an Indy 500. Awesome game on the same level as these and something new for you. My favorite sleeper B/W game of the 90's.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from ClassicHornet:

Have a Congo right now, waiting for it to be collected, design flaws are numereous & its not that good im afraid, dont get me wrong its a good game but little issues in design like ball hang ups on the volcano, make a volcano shot and ball just falls of the habitrail either side of instead of coming back to the right flipper, unobtanium duel plunger diverter which is flimsy, scoops too close to a fl11629 flipper coil, the shot hardly ever stays due to the power. i dunno, just little annoying things with the design is why its not a keeper for me & my game is serviced with new coils and assemblies / sleeves etc etc everywhere. Shadow all day long

You sir did not have your game dialed in
    I never experienced your issues .
    I have owned both and enjoyed both tough call would like to own both again some day!

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from freddy:

You sir did not have your game dialed in
    I never experienced your issues .
    I have owned both and enjoyed both tough call would like to own both again some day!

Oh, it’s dialled in mate, it’s as close to mint stock game as you’ll ever still see.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from ClassicHornet:

Oh, it’s dialled in mate, it’s as close to mint stock game as you’ll ever still see.

Then maybe you just need a good player instead of a mint stock game.

#29 2 years ago

I own both, and love both. If I had to choose one, Shadow any day, all day.

#30 2 years ago

Had a Congo and Shadow side by side in my small collection a while ago. Shadow is still here, Congo moved on long ago. Don’t miss Congo.

To be blunt, I still don’t understand the hype around Congo.

#31 2 years ago

My favorite rating on pinside.

04CCF260-821D-44D4-9C73-176D36701CA6 (resized).jpeg04CCF260-821D-44D4-9C73-176D36701CA6 (resized).jpeg

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

This is a good point. I'm amending my earlier statement by saying the Congo is better for non-pinheads - much easier to just walk up and play. The Shadow is way tougher with a lot more going on.

Definitely agree here. Just the 2 extra buttons alone on TS to control the Phurba diverters seemed to really throw non-pinheads for a loop (pun intended).

#33 2 years ago

I've owned both. I would have Shadow back but not Congo. I never really understood the love for Congo. Not saying its bad, but it didn't hold my attention. I remember not really liking the audio ion Congo.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-vs-congo-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.