Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• The Shadow 117 votes
    60%
  • Congo 77 votes
    40%

(194 votes)

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

Which do you prefer? Why? I thought this thread already existed, but couldn't find it to save my life.

To clarify, the reason I'm comparing these is because there are some similarities in how they're regarded; both are based on mediocre movies and have become much more popular lately. They're in the same price bracket.

#2 10 years ago

I mean, they're really not related at all, aside from both being based on somewhat questionable movies.

Shadow is mode based, Congo isn't. Shadow has an upper playfield, Congo a lower. Congo is more traditional, normal plunger, pops, Shadow has neither. Congo is a relatively easy game, Shadow is pretty hard.

You really would have to play both and see what you think. I wouldn't mind owning a Congo sometime, but I've seen them for prices I could afford and passed them up. Shadow is probably the most keeper game I have. To me Shadow is far superior, but Congo is still a cool game.

Shadow is more challenging, has more intense original gameplay, has better sound, just overall a better game to me.

#3 10 years ago

SHADOW! NUFF SAID

#4 10 years ago

Hey,

The Shadow was the first DMD I owned. When I got it, it fell into the somewhat disregarded pile and people on RGP always complained about the translite. That was in June of 2011, if I recall correctly? Since that time, it's moved up in price a lot, and people have decided they like it. It is a really good game, but it is just brutally hard. I beat the wizard mode once and only once in the two and change years I had it. After that game, I shut it off, and sold it. It is a very rewarding game to beat, but I felt I'd never beat it again, and it had moved enough in price that it made sense to sell.

I'll get philosophical: The best analogy I can make is that it's like playing golf. Imagine having your best game of golf. It doesn't happen often, and it doesn't mean you've beaten the game of golf and that's it. It's more so the course has yielded to your continued effort that one particular time. You could go out the next day and play like crap.

The Shadow is the same. Me beating it wasn't me "winning" the game. It was almost like the game conceding that I had put in enough time and effort that, just this once, I was going to see it through to the end. It's not going to be for everyone, but if you're stubborn, it's such a worthwhile game.

With that said, in similar condition, I'd probably buy Congo, and here's why. The Shadow has moved up a lot in price, and to me, it didn't represent the value it once did. I personally think that in the price range, it makes more sense to buy a "value" game, or fixer-upper, than to buy a game that has run up in value to what may be its absolute peak. Where it sits now, Congo still has somewhere to move price-wise, and is likely going to be cheaper than a The Shadow anyhow.

Luke

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Which do you prefer? Why?
I thought this thread already existed, but couldn't find it to save my life.

Funny you ask this question as I sold my Congo to buy a Shadow. I really like both games. That said, I don't regret doing it, but if I had to do it all over again, I think I would rather have the Congo than the Shadow in the long term. Shadow is more challenging, but Congo is just more fun IMHO.

#6 10 years ago

I agree exactly with Les. TS is more challenging and therefore might have more staying power in your collection. But Congo is more fun. AND, Congo can be set up so that it is a challenging game. Just widen the outlanes and turn off the VERY forgiving ball saver and you've got a pretty tough game.

#7 10 years ago

Ramps on Shadow machines I have played had a klunky feel to them, but the loop shots are pretty fun. I would easily pick Congo between the two. The Volcano shot is a lot of fun. Fully shop with a good wax and both games can move pretty fast.

#8 10 years ago

TS is way deeper and more unique. congo is fun, but plays similar to a lot of machines.

#9 10 years ago

They're both about the same price...2 different style of game, one easier, the other much harder. I bet the poll would be evenly split on this.

#10 10 years ago

Congo. Shadow is crap.

#11 10 years ago

Had both and Congo is the machine i liked better. Congo is still here to stay!

#12 10 years ago

I'm actually surprised Shadow is ahead; Congo has a bunch of great shots and forces you all over the playfield. Shadow, based on the PAPA tutorial video, is best played by hitting the upper loop ad nauseum. I figured in terms of gameplay, Congo would walk all over Shadow.

#13 10 years ago

Oh, and to clarify - I'm asking this questions because both are B-list games that've shot up in popularity lately, they're both based on mediocre movies, and they've both jumped in value.

#14 10 years ago

Congo 2129 Produced
Shadow 4247 Produced
all considered congo is holding it own in this poll.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I'm actually surprised Shadow is ahead; Congo has a bunch of great shots and forces you all over the playfield. Shadow, based on the PAPA tutorial video, is best played by hitting the upper loop ad nauseum. I figured in terms of gameplay, Congo would walk all over Shadow.

I've found that only works if you're Bowen Kerins lol. Spamming that loop shot is hard! If you watch actual competition videos the stratagy is way more well rounded.

Disclaimer: I'm a proud shadow lover so anything I say is biased

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

If you can spam that Shadow loop you're a better player than most, or your name is Bowen. My Shadow loops record is 6.

And in terms of gameplay the Shadow is better than Congo IMHO (which is a fun, but frankly pretty standard game), you can't judge it by a tournament strategy video. Tournament players suck the fun out of everything.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I've found that only works if you're Bowen Kerins lol. Spamming that loop shot is hard! If you watch actual competition videos the stratagy is way more well rounded.
Disclaimer: I'm a proud Shadow lover so anything I say is biased

Yeah, I've tried to play the upper loop combo strategy many times. The problem is that eventually you miss a shot and the ball is out of control. Shadow is not a game that you want to be constantly putting the ball out of control. Frankly, you need to have a pretty lucky game to make that strategy pay out. Or, like jdoz said, your name is Bowen Kerins.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Disclaimer: I'm a proud Shadow lover so anything I say is biased

No, joke. I was lucky to get up to 4 and you have to have ridiculous timing to pull just that off.

I tried a Congo and never really got into it. I only played a few games though so I can't say that I gave it much play time. The other games at that site were Tron, Adams Family, Fishtails, and Johnny Mneumonic. I would have probably given it more of a fair shot if a the other games weren't there.

#19 10 years ago

They are both great pins. I think Congo is very fun with a great light show and the cool volcano. Shadow is very challenging great rules difficult upper playfield. The ball lock is awesome. I voted for Shadow because I own one but I think its perhaps a tie on which one I would rather own. Ironically I traded my congo for the shadow. Too bad I couldn't swap them back and forth every year.

#20 10 years ago

Congo is gaining on TS in the poll. Now 57% to 43%!

#21 10 years ago

What's a fair price on Congo. For only about 2000 made I found quite a few for sale on ebay.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyd044:

What's a fair price on Congo. For only about 2000 made I found quite a few for sale on ebay.

They're not common per se, but they aren't really "keeper" games, people tend to enjoy and then flip, so they're in circulation. In my experience it's harder to get a Shadow than a Congo, people tend to hold onto their Shadows longer.

I think Congo would make a good alt translite project some day, we'll see. It's a cool game, I just happen to love The Shadow, so that puts it above Congo for me.

Nice Congo just sold here for what? $2800?

#23 10 years ago

You are confusing looping (rather worthless and dangerous) with the 2 way combo award which gets to be insanely high. Left orbit to loop = 255 mil!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

You are confusing looping (rather worthless and dangerous) with the 2 way combo award which gets to be insanely high. Left orbit to loop = 255 mil!

The thing is everyone sees the Bowen video and thinks it's easy. Watch some tournament play and tell me how many people are doing it for the "easy" points.

#25 10 years ago

Shadow for me is tough and a challenge in a good way and for the life of me cannot do the Battlefield well. Congo is fun and I can seem to get the flow on it and most games do well. They are very different and would work well owning both. I think I would like to own both and think they would stay in my collection. I could not really pick between them as it would really be down to want I want out of my pinball session.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The thing is everyone sees the Bowen video and thinks it's easy. Watch some tournament play and tell me how many people are doing it for the "easy" points.

Ok, I'll watch some tournament play. Thanks!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Lol ya you damn newb go watch some tourney coverage!!!

#28 10 years ago

Better yet, go create some awesome tourney coverage.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Post of the year so far.

Lol

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Quoted from sk8ball:

LMAO!

#31 10 years ago

The Shadow is hard as hell.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Shadow is hard as hell.

That's the big difference in the two games, you can own a Congo but the Shadow will own you.

#33 10 years ago

I voted for Congo. I regret selling and hope to own again one day. The flow is great. The volcano ramp through the pops is a very cool and satisfying shot. Shadow rules are cool, but I just can't get over the really cheap feeling and flimsy wire form ramps. The upper playfield on TS is cooler than the lower playfield on Congo. But all in all, I love to chase down those diamonds and I normally prefer mode based games like TS.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I just can't get over the really cheap feeling and flimsy wire form ramps

What?

#35 10 years ago

For those about to Zinj, I salute you!

Congo. There's not enough to do on Shadow IMO. That may have to do with the fact that hitting the mode start shot is the hardest damn shot in all of pinball.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

For those about to Zinj, I salute you!
Congo. There's not enough to do on Shadow IMO. That may have to do with the fact that hitting the mode start shot is the hardest damn shot in all of pinball.

What?!? Modes, MB, Khan MB, inner loops, battlefield, and vengeance aren't enough for you?

#37 10 years ago

I would have kept Congo if it wasn't for the music and the Amy Gorilla voice. Nails on chalkboard.

#38 10 years ago

shadow battlefield toy > congo gorilla toy.

#39 10 years ago

Most people would probably agree that Shadow is a better design, but I'd still rather have a Congo. I just find it to be more fun.

One vote for Congo.

#40 10 years ago

Maybe I've only played beaten ones or something. But the ramps always seem bent, wobbly, and ugly/tarnished when I've played it.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you can spam that Shadow loop you're a better player than most, or your name is Bowen. My Shadow loops record is 6.
And in terms of gameplay The Shadow is better than Congo IMHO (which is a fun, but frankly pretty standard game), you can't judge it by a tournament strategy video. Tournament players suck the fun out of everything.

Maybe my name is Bowen, and I'm just here to troll.

That's a very good point, really; tournament players make shots look exploitable that no one out of the top half-dozen players would actually be able to milk.

#42 10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I guess I need to seek out some time on a Shadow; I like Congo enough that I figured it would blow Shadow out of the water, but if Shadow is that fun, I really should spend more time on one.

#43 10 years ago

Both great games. Shadow to me is pretty tough to finish so it is a little more challenging than Congo. Congo is a lot deeper than typically given credit though. Midnight Madness on Congo is a great bonus...

#44 10 years ago

I like both, they are completely different from each other, and I would own both. Shadow is higher up the list, because I like the theme better, callouts, animations and the overall feel of the game. Congo has very crappy theme, but a great layout and rules. So does shadow. I like the difficulty of shadow since it's made to make you a better player.

#45 10 years ago

I just don't get the crappy theme on Congo bit. Its like I'm reading an RGP thread from 2001. It's a dark, adventure/jungle-themed pin that in many ways is similar to Indiana Jones. The artwork on the pin is colorful and pretty much awesome as fuck and the movie was great fun (I just watched it for the tenth time last week). The whole Jungle/Volcano/ Space Tech Juxtaposition is done well, the pop bumpers are furious and the ramps are fun to hit. The third flipper actually has a purpose and the multi balls are fun. The under playfield Gray Gorilla is cool (if a bit easy to beat) and the Amy ramp is sweet (if a bit simple and underused) when it comes into play. I've owned about 10 pins in the last 2 years and Congo is the only one that has stayed in my collection pretty much the entire time. The Shadow just seems like a terrible theme to me. Pin may be deep and strategic and difficult and all that, but as for the theme, I'll take Congo any day.

#46 10 years ago

You watched Congo 10 times? You need to get cable bud.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I just don't get the crappy theme on Congo bit. Its like I'm reading an RGP thread from 2001. It's a dark, adventure/jungle-themed pin that in many ways is similar to Indiana Jones. The artwork on the pin is colorful and pretty much awesome as fuck and the movie was great fun (I just watched it for the tenth time last week). The whole Jungle/Volcano/ Space Tech Juxtaposition is done well, the pop bumpers are furious and the ramps are fun to hit. The third flipper actually has a purpose and the multi balls are fun. The under playfield Gray Gorilla is cool (if a bit easy to beat) and the Amy ramp is sweet (if a bit simple and underused) when it comes into play. I've owned about 10 pins in the last 2 years and Congo is the only one that has stayed in my collection pretty much the entire time. The Shadow just seems like a terrible theme to me. Pin may be deep and strategic and difficult and all that, but as for the theme, I'll take Congo any day.

I agree 100%. I will NEVER sell Congo. I would put the whole package of Congo up against almost any pin. The artwork and colors are killer and the whole jungle theme just rocks for me. The sound and dots kick ass also. I have owned this game for a long time now and I am still finding things I didn't know about. As far as Amy and her voice go. See the F'in movie and you will understand the story behind her and her voice. Amy's voice is not an issue in the least for me. Overall gameplay is fast and fun. And while I'm ranting here, whats with all the alternate translites for games nowadays? Its all crap imo, leave the artwork alone!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I just don't get the crappy theme on Congo bit.

Quoted from Phetishboy:

The Shadow just seems like a terrible theme to me.

And now you understand how people can say things about themes they don't understand.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And now you understand how people can say things about themes they don't understand.

I've seen the movie and it's terrible. What don't I understand?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

What?!? Modes, MB, Khan MB, inner loops, battlefield, and vengeance aren't enough for you?

You know, I DID cop to the fact that I can't make the mode start shot to save my life, right? The battlefield is fun, but ultimately, it's a gimmick toy area that takes up a whole lot of space and requires too many hits IMO to complete. I've finished it several times...it just gets old quickly. Khan Multiball I tend to start right away after getting the skill shot, and the other multiball follows shortly after most of the time I've played. As far as vengeance goes, I don't know enough about how it works to really comment on it. I haven't paid enough direct attention to it, but I don't believe there's anything overly complex to it, yeah?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-vs-congo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.