You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPError (resized).jpg
SolenoidTable (resized).jpg
ShadowWallMech (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hello, guys I'm restoring my shadow pinball and in the final test before assembling the wall mechanism is acting weird. If I go to test coils and test "wall target up" the wall goes down while testing "wall target down" the wall goes up. Is it normal??? I'm unable right now to see if during play it works correctly, I wanted to correct this error before assembly!

#2 6 years ago

Pesmerga As you suspect... confirmed on LA-4 roms.

To be specific under the Solenoid Test
* Wall target up --> fires the solenoid to put the wall target up
* Wall target down --> fires the other (smaller) solenoid to drop the wall target.

Any chance you switched the wiring to the solenoids? Here's what mine looks like.
ShadowWallMech (resized).pngShadowWallMech (resized).png

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

pesmerga As you suspect... confirmed on LA-4 roms.
To be specific under the Solenoid Test
* Wall target up --> fires the solenoid to put the wall target up
* Wall target down --> fires the other (smaller) solenoid to drop the wall target.
Any chance you switched the wiring to the solenoids? Here's what mine looks like.

Thank you for the answer. Definitely there is a problem.

Even during play the wall works uncorrectly being unable to go up or down (it tries to go "more up" or "more down")

Maybe, as you suggest, the wires are soldered wrong.

Can you tell me which color of wire goes where? Unfortunately I can't recognize the colors in this picture ^^

#4 6 years ago

Based upon the above picture and the solenoid table in the manual:

Little coil: Brown/Grey + solid red
Big coil: Violet/Grey + Red with dark rings

SolenoidTable (resized).jpgSolenoidTable (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Thank you very much! My cables were all soldered wrong. I have soldered them as indicated and the problem is solved! the wall mechanism is now working during play but it doesn't works in test mode. Also now the coils seems all weak (ball launcher needs 2-3 try) and i was wondering, may I expect some damage from the previous wrong soldering?

I'm also having an error with mini playfield: ER. MINI PFD. BAD CHK. SWITCHES/MTR (not related to the soldering works because it was already there) should I open another post for this error? I have checked solderings on kicker's coil here but they don't seems loose!

Thank you again!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Thank you very much! My cables were all soldered wrong. I have soldered them as indicated and the problem is solved! the wall mechanism is now working during play but it doesn't works in test mode.

If you are testing while the door is open you'll need to make sure to hold in the door switches so the high power is enabled... Otherwise I'm not sure what could cause that.

Quoted from Pesmerga:

Also now the coils seems all weak (ball launcher needs 2-3 try) and i was wondering, may I expect some damage from the previous wrong soldering?

I don't know. I recommend putting that in another thread and perhaps someone else will be able to advise.

Quoted from Pesmerga:

I'm also having an error with mini playfield: ER. MINI PFD. BAD CHK. SWITCHES/MTR (not related to the soldering works because it was already there) should I open another post for this error? I have checked solderings on kicker's coil here but they don't seems loose!

Here's what the manual states:
MPError (resized).jpgMPError (resized).jpg

I'd start out easy... If the motor can move left/right then that should be fine... and it could be the opto's to detect when it is all the way left or right... or the fuse... if none of those then dig into the more difficult things (driver and cpu boards, etc.) Again not an area I'm an expert at so perhaps a new thread or searching on old threads would work.

Good luck!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

If you are testing while the door is open you'll need to make sure to hold in the door switches so the high power is enabled... Otherwise I'm not sure what could cause that.

I don't know. I recommend putting that in another thread and perhaps someone else will be able to advise.

Here's what the manual states:

I'd start out easy... If the motor can move left/right then that should be fine... and it could be the opto's to detect when it is all the way left or right... or the fuse... if none of those then dig into the more difficult things (driver and cpu boards, etc.) Again not an area I'm an expert at so perhaps a new thread or searching on old threads would work.
Good luck!

Thank you very much for your help! I have opened a new topic for the miniplayfield problem! See you there if you have ideas!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Boards
Slap Save Creations

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-up-down-weird-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.