(Topic ID: 15064)

Shadow - Underpriced for the quality of game?

By Cobray

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

Shadow seems to be a perennial sleeper, so I would agree that it is undervalued compared to other pins.

I bought mine for $1,100 probably 10-12 years ago on the endorsements of so many on RGP never having played or seen it in person. For the time it was made, the Sanctum lock was an unusual use of a playfield magnet, to propel the ball up into the lock. I like the mini playfield feature. The diverters are a bit clunky, but they give the player a lot of options as to how to set up the next shot, so for me they add to the flow of the game. You have an inner and an outer loop and two saucer shots, one off the inner loop. I think it recognizes up to either a five or seven way combo, suggesting the designers had flow in mind. It has one of the best video modes I have seen. It has six modes that mix up the shots well, and has four multiballs including the wizard mode, but I don't think that there is any stackability. Getting to the wizard mode is pretty straightforward and of moderate difficulty, and the wizard mode is very hard to accomplish, you need to shoot well and strategize your shoots to accomplish it. I think the sound and especially the animations are excellent. It has no pop bumpers, which isn't noticeable during play, another feature I think is unique. Seeing the movie helps get the game. which I really didn't until I saw the movie.

It is a challenging pin with a lot to do but not deep to the point of being a chore to play. I have both LOTR and TSPP for when I am in that mood.

It has a horrific backglass, and it is too dark to play in the dark at least for me, which is why I made a lighting kit for mine. The flippers have a different feel than other B/W games, which to this day I cannot figure out why.

It is a keeper for me, for it offers a lot. Mine is in excellent condition (9++ on both pf and cab), and if I were to sell it, I would price it around $3,500-$4,000, so IMO you are on track with pricing it. Mine is not a players pin, not restored, but for sure CQ (whatever that means anymore).

Dan

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I don't see how TS can be considered underpriced in today's market. A year ago it seemed like a nice model was going for $1800-$2000.

Dewey:

I have been back into pinball only for 5 months after a haitus of about 7 years, so I am not up to date on everything, but is Shadow going for more than the range you mention now? I had the impression that what your range is pretty current. Not so?

Dan

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is because the game is difficult and the theme is bad. Lots of people don't want to play a difficult game. Fish Tales, for instance, is easy and straightforward and a theme that most can relate to in fishing. If a casual pinball player could pick between Fish Tales and Shadow at the same price, they are going to pick Fish Tales. The more hardcore players are going to pick Shadow for the opposite reason. Problem is, there are a lot more casual players than hardcore players. I just picked up a beautiful Shadow for $1,750 and I couldn't be happier. I love a deep challenging game and you just don't see those nowadays, even at triple the price. A fully working, excellent condition Shadow is well above a $2,000 game for the right people

Great post! The comparison with FT is spot on IMO. Congrats on the good price on a great pin.

Quoted from Dewey68:

Well, after re-reading the posts, I'm an idiot (ask my wife, she'll back me up). Owners above are saying they wouldn't take less than $3k for theirs, so they are saying they think it is undervalued.

Wives aren't always right; they are just never wrong!
I think an owner saying a game is undervalued is synonymous with saying the game is a good buy.

Quoted from jk2171:

It's the backglass. If it WASN'T Alec Baldwin, and just some other dude then I don't think people would have issue with it. You find this with a lot of theme games unfortunately. Same reason WCS is priced low. Great pin, great flow and cool toys yet that darn cartoon dog just doesn't do it for most people.

I didn't mind the dog on WCS. it was good to have something light-hearted. I think it is also a sleeper. Great pin. One I regret not keeping.

Totally agree on the TS BG. I have looked at some of the alternates, but none of those did it for me either.

Dan

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Here is a video tutorial by Bowen showing the scoring difference in shooting for Battlefield vs Vengeance vs Loops.
ยป Vimeo video
Loops FTW

"Aw, go in the hole! C'mon!!"

Priceless.

Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside