(Topic ID: 15064)

Shadow - Underpriced for the quality of game?

By Cobray

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is because the game is difficult and the theme is bad. Lots of people don't want to play a difficult game. Fish Tales, for instance, is easy and straightforward and a theme that most can relate to in fishing. If a casual pinball player could pick between Fish Tales and Shadow at the same price, they are going to pick Fish Tales. The more hardcore players are going to pick Shadow for the opposite reason. Problem is, there are a lot more casual players than hardcore players.

Yes.

Two things to add though -- The Shadow doesn't have pops, a HUGE turn off to casual people who are interested in pinball who think they need to be on every machine, and the ramp diverter stuff is just confusing until you have done it for a while.

I think that NBAFB is a very new player friendly game for the most part, but every time they hit the scoop and then don't know what to do as the game is going, "LOOK UP!! SHOOT THE BALL UP THERE!!" it reminds me that even simple stuff can be really confusing for people that don't play regularly. Shadow with the extra buttons is even more confusing.

The fact it commands the prices that it does is honestly a testament to the gameplay. JD, another great player in my opinion with similar issues (no pops, but I'd argue a slightly better theme) is worth a lot less...

#51 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seriously, you are basically calling the majority of pinheads shallow idiots because they can't see beyond the backglass, as though putting a "cool" backglass on the pin would make all the difference in how people feel about it. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't know if he's referring to pinheads or not, but a game needs a casual audience to love it too for it to really command the big bucks. MM and AFM are fun for everyone no matter the skill level or what, a game like the Shadow is definitely a more hardcore player.

I agree with your disagreement though Rob, even if not for the exact same reason. It definitely wouldn't be a top 5 pin. Biggest reason for me -- no pops. Again, so many people look at the pops as a big part of pinball, so having a game that is missing something that a lot of people think is the essence of the game will drive the price down.

#68 12 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

I really don't understand this obsession with pop pumpers. They're just another feature and if the game is fun to play I could care less if it has pops or not. They don't make or break a game in my book.

I think that pops can totally break a game, and honestly while I have never played Shadow enough to really get a feel for it, I have always kind of wanted one because of the lack of pops.

For me, I most like my games where when the ball drains, it is because of something that I did wrong. I especially dislike when pop hits can lead to a drain (see TZ without the post, certain games that sometimes exit SDTM, etc) because when I make that shot, I'm taking a XX% shot that it will drain no matter what I do.

I do like exposed pops like you often saw on early SS games and EM games, as you can actually aim at them to try to make the ball do certain things.

Having said all that, most people who aren't big time pinball fans think that pinball machines have three main parts -- a plunger, some flippers, and some pop bumpers. Beyond that, they light up. Why? Because that is truly what most games have. I've heard it said before that Gary Stern believes both in the plunger and always having three pops in every machine they release, and honestly if that is the case, I think that he's a genius for it -- it's what most casual people look for, and judging by my collection, while I like games without pops, I clearly have no issue with games with pops.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-underpriced-for-the-quality-of-game?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.