(Topic ID: 15064)

Shadow - Underpriced for the quality of game?

By Cobray

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by iceman44
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Seriously, you are basically calling the majority of pinheads shallow idiots because they can't see beyond the backglass, as though putting a "cool" backglass on the pin would make all the difference in how people feel about it. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't know if he's referring to pinheads or not, but a game needs a casual audience to love it too for it to really command the big bucks. MM and AFM are fun for everyone no matter the skill level or what, a game like the Shadow is definitely a more hardcore player.

I agree with your disagreement though Rob, even if not for the exact same reason. It definitely wouldn't be a top 5 pin. Biggest reason for me -- no pops. Again, so many people look at the pops as a big part of pinball, so having a game that is missing something that a lot of people think is the essence of the game will drive the price down.

#52 7 years ago

Lol. I never realized it doesn't have pops until you pointed it out just now. Cool.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I don't know if he's referring to pinheads or not, but a game needs a casual audience to love it too for it to really command the big bucks. MM and AFM are fun for everyone no matter the skill level or what, a game like The Shadow is definitely a more hardcore player.

I agree with your disagreement though Rob, even if not for the exact same reason. It definitely wouldn't be a top 5 pin. Biggest reason for me -- no pops. Again, so many people look at the pops as a big part of pinball, so having a game that is missing something that a lot of people think is the essence of the game will drive the price down.

Yeah, and to be honest I was talking more in terms of gameplay that I was price, which is actually my bad since that is what we are talking about....although gameplay obviously has a role in what price a pin brings too.

#54 7 years ago

I really don't understand this obsession with pop pumpers. They're just another feature and if the game is fun to play I could care less if it has pops or not. They don't make or break a game in my book.

It reminds me of my neighbor who wouldn't buy a game unless it had multiball. Now, his favorite machine is a single ball game because he enjoys the gameplay and realized fun trumps features.

#55 7 years ago

Did not mean to offend anyone. Just saying it was a Brian Eddy game with a great rule set and flow.

Thats why we love pinball becuase its Theme, Artwork and Gameplay. Having all 3 will get you top billing on the charts.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Slate:

Did not mean to offend anyone. Just saying it was a Brian Eddy game with a great rule set and flow.

Thats why we love pinball becuase its Theme, Artwork and Gameplay. Having all 3 will get you top billing on the charts.

I'm sorry if my post came across as me thinking that you offended me or anyone else because that is not the case at all. Carry on!

#57 7 years ago

Love the game. Diverters, Sanctum, Battlefield, 3 flippers, tight eject hole to start a scene, there just is no other machine like it. Nobody can say that it is a clone of another game.

People can argue all they want, but being based on a "B" movie really hurts the value.

Only "B" movie that has translated into an "A" pin is TAF- but I really don't know if that counts as it was a big enough movie to have sequels and it did pretty well profit wise. Not really a "B" movie, especially if you compare it to Congo or JM.

Theme and appeal have a huge impact on value and how collectible a pin is. Really can't think of any other pin that has so many alternate translites made.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Only "B" movie that has translated into an "A" pin is TAF- but I really don't know if that counts as it was a big enough movie to have sequels and it did pretty well profit wise.

B movie? Is that a joke? Does this look like it came from a b movie?!?

#59 7 years ago

I've had the game for a few weeks, and just love it. I love the movie and am a fan of the radio/pulp hero, so for me the cabinet art (which is lifted right from the pulps) and the pf art is just fantastic. The opening line, "The weed of crime bears bitter fruit" is right out of the Welles 1938 radio show. What isn't to love?

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/2009/01/shadow-ive-been-collectiong-shadow.html

Has to be one of the hardest games I have ever played.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Has to be one of the hardest games I have ever played.

Amen brutha!!!

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

B movie? Is that a joke? Does this look like it came from a b movie?!?

Wow, I have to say that was the first time I have ever seen that video. (My eyes are still burning)

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Wow, I have to say that was the first time I have ever seen that video. (My eyes are still burning)

Hold those eyes open with your fingers....let the 90s in man!

#63 7 years ago

Hey,

I've made my comment on the game, and I will make my comment on the video: I went and saw MC Hammer at a fair a couple of years ago. I would estimate there were four or five thousand people, that surprised me. And he sang that song. I am estimating that I was the only one who knew it. And no, that's not me bragging.

Luke

#64 7 years ago

I own the Shadow and I absolutely love it. I am a poor to mediocre pinball player and am trying to learn to be a better player. I appreciate the challenge TS provides. The key to TS is to not let yourself get frustrated. It is a challenging game and I am learning lots from it.

#65 7 years ago

A game that has surpassed the $3k threshold as Shadow has is no longer "underpriced" IMO.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from lukerp:

Hey,
I've made my comment on the game, and I will make my comment on the video: I went and saw MC Hammer at a fair a couple of years ago. I would estimate there were four or five thousand people, that surprised me. And he sang that song. I am estimating that I was the only one who knew it. And no, that's not me bragging.
Luke

You may not be bragging, but I'm still kinda jealous. I got to see Vanilla Ice perform during halftime of the Timberwolves game recently though, so things aren't so bad.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

A game that has surpassed the $3k threshold as Shadow has is no longer "underpriced" IMO.

I wouldn't pay 2k for this title. 3k is just way too high unless it is almost NIB condition.

That damn background music is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

I really don't understand this obsession with pop pumpers. They're just another feature and if the game is fun to play I could care less if it has pops or not. They don't make or break a game in my book.

I think that pops can totally break a game, and honestly while I have never played Shadow enough to really get a feel for it, I have always kind of wanted one because of the lack of pops.

For me, I most like my games where when the ball drains, it is because of something that I did wrong. I especially dislike when pop hits can lead to a drain (see TZ without the post, certain games that sometimes exit SDTM, etc) because when I make that shot, I'm taking a XX% shot that it will drain no matter what I do.

I do like exposed pops like you often saw on early SS games and EM games, as you can actually aim at them to try to make the ball do certain things.

Having said all that, most people who aren't big time pinball fans think that pinball machines have three main parts -- a plunger, some flippers, and some pop bumpers. Beyond that, they light up. Why? Because that is truly what most games have. I've heard it said before that Gary Stern believes both in the plunger and always having three pops in every machine they release, and honestly if that is the case, I think that he's a genius for it -- it's what most casual people look for, and judging by my collection, while I like games without pops, I clearly have no issue with games with pops.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Here is a video tutorial by Bowen showing the scoring difference in shooting for Battlefield vs Vengeance vs Loops.
ยป Vimeo video
Loops FTW

"Aw, go in the hole! C'mon!!"

Priceless.

Dan

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Baiter said:A game that has surpassed the $3k threshold as Shadow has is no longer "underpriced" IMO.
I wouldn't pay 2k for this title. 3k is just way too high unless it is almost NIB condition.

Background music in pinball sucks in just about every game. If the gameplay is awesome, such as in TS, you can overlook the music. I actually can't even recall what the music sounds like, and I play TS regularly.

Some of the most annoying background music is in pinball. I HATE "twilight zone" (golden earring, really?). Hasn't stopped me from loving to play pinball and TZ is what, #2 on the rankings list?

#71 7 years ago

I think TS rocks. Not fast? An entire rubber ring kit for this machine costs about $1.50. The game was designed to flow - hence the lack of rubber and pops. And of course this contributes greatly to the difficulty of the machine.

Granted, my skills can only match this design about once every 10 games, but when it happens and you keep hitting the combos, it's awesome.

In the midwest, clean with everything working and all the parts still there topside, $2k to $2.5k and rising would be my opinion. In the big picture, they didn't really make that many of them either....

#72 7 years ago

I really don't buy the argument that "not having pops" kills the flow of the game. I've never played a game and thought "man those pop bumpers kick ass!". Sure they are part of just about every single pinball, but they are just not missed in TS.

To me, the second playfield is one of the more fun second playfields, and in no way would I rather have pop bumpers there.. and I really couldn't imagine where you could put pop bumpers in this game without ruining the flow or gameplay.

#73 7 years ago

Damn accidental re-post, sorry!

#74 7 years ago

I know it is all preference, but I don't know how a game like TS can go for 2K and something like Scared Stiff gets the high price that it has lately...these two games are so much different in their challenge level.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I know it is all preference, but I don't know how a game like TS can go for 2K and something like Scared Stiff gets the high price that it has lately...these two games are so much different in their challenge level.

Exactly where are you finding TS's for $2k? It's been a $3k game for a while now.

#76 7 years ago

3k and you can have my Shadow right now...come and get it...even though I want a trade only, for 3k I'd sell it in a heartbeat..

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Exactly where are you finding TS's for $2k? It's been a $3k game for a while now

Proof or it didn't happen!

I have yet to see an avg to above avg shadow sell for 3k.

Maybe a HUO minty one...maybe.

#78 7 years ago

This title is EXTREMELY over priced.

(just kidding) I need to find one for me before supporting this type of thread.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

This title is EXTREMELY over priced.

I'll trade you mine + cash for TAF, I miss my TAF, it was my first pin

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Shoot_Again said:This title is EXTREMELY over priced.

Wow make that trade shh

Quoted from tomdotcom:Shoot_Again said:This title is EXTREMELY over priced.

Wow make that trade shoot again .

#81 7 years ago

tomdotcom

I am still willing to buy your shadow outright. I will consider that offer though.
How much cash you talking? Late 90s restore. Light wear by right flipper button. 3 mil insert has a blemish on one edge but does not affect ball travel. Have all upgrades including magnet fuse kit, stickers for thing, bear, train, phone, knight. Custom Fester and Cousin IT. Topper present in good working order with all decals.
No wear no issues 100% working.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Baiter said:Exactly where are you finding TS's for $2k? It's been a $3k game for a while now
Proof or it didn't happen!
I have yet to see an avg to above avg Shadow sell for 3k.
Maybe a HUO minty one...maybe.

Believe there are going for that on Ebay lately - although you can still get them for $2K from other collectors.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Exactly where are you finding TS's for $2k? It's been a $3k game for a while now.

No it isn't.

Not even in SoCal.

#84 7 years ago

I suppose the point of the thread is to proclaim that it should be a $3k pin, and maybe I'm off the mark for players quality... but the only one I could find on eBay went for $3995, and I know of at least one other nice example that went for a collector's price of at least $3k.

ebay.com link

It was a $1300 game 2 years ago, but that seems long gone. What would you guys sell a player's quality or routed one for these days? (better question than asking what you'd buy it for!)

#85 7 years ago

It is still an $1200 pin if you follow pinside pricing =-)

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I suppose the point of the thread is to proclaim that it should be a $3k pin, and maybe I'm off the mark for players quality... but the only one I could find on eBay went for $3995, and I know of at least one other nice example that went for a collector's price of at least $3k.
ebay.com link
It was a $1300 game 2 years ago, but that seems long gone. What would you guys sell a player's quality or routed one for these days? (better question than asking what you'd buy it for!)

If its selling for $4k them it's a $4k pin. Supply and demand. Just cause you think it should be some price doesn't mean that's what it should be.

#87 7 years ago

The only way I would ever sell mine is if I could replace it with another top 20 game. I don't see another top 20 that could be had for less than 2800. Not counting BSD wich is currently at number 20.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

ebay.com link

I got a very nice one a few months ago for $2200.00. I thought I was overpaying at the time, but went forward with the deal because of the condition.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

Mr. Pinball ad for 2K on Shadow...says in excellent condition...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 59.00
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside