(Topic ID: 187273)

Shadow sanctum repair 2017

By SPARKY70

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).png
    image (resized).jpeg
    20170424_073651 (resized).jpg
    20160416_112738 (resized).jpg
    20160416_112917 (resized).jpg
    20160416_112738 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky70.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone, ive had a shadow for a little while now, and finally have gotten around to stripping and cleaning it all.
    It has the usual sanctum wear, and i am ready to fix it right...

i have spent a few hours searching on the net, and here.

through my research, i have found that either bondo body filler, or JB kwikweld are the 2 top choices.

the posts i have read, are a few years old, and im curious if these are still the top 2 options.

If so, which one is considered the best?

After repairing and sanding smooth, i will be painting the grey, possibly with the apple barrel country grey.

my lettering area "TO THE SANCTUM", has some damage to the bottom of the NCT of sanctum, so i had thought about purchasing the sticker to cover this area, but i hear that the grey was not a good match. has this been corrected to match better?

I also read about a water slide decal with the lettering. where would i be able to get one of those?

any help is appreciated, id like to get started asap...but will wait for some experienced advice...thanks.....sparky

#3 7 years ago

hi Jeremy, thanks for the input. how long ago did you do yours, and how is it holding up? thanks

#8 7 years ago

Cavalier, i will try to grab a pic when i get home.

PoMC, thanks for the pdf.

Where do you get the waterslide paper?
    I only have an inkjet printer, but heard it must be laser printed or it will run.

Also, i noticed that you both left the magnet and optos in place. Is that for support from underneath while the repair is being made?
    I removed mine to give me some extra room while working on it....thanks

#11 7 years ago

Thanks PoMC, and forceflow for the quick replies.
    PoMC, what did you use to fill?
    Thanks. Sparky

#14 7 years ago

Thanks. For the tip, i saw that posted here, and thought it was definately thinking outside the box, which is what i often do.

Was that your post?
    My game is already all apart though.

#15 7 years ago

Is quikweld a two part material that has to be mixed?

#22 7 years ago

Here is a shot before, and after filled and smoothed. I decided to go with the bondo since i am more familiar with it, and understand the the kwikweld is more like a putty, and possibly less sticky. I will probably go over it with the finishing glaze. But first some testing.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
    image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#24 7 years ago

Since ive had my shadow, the magnet vibrates when activated either with or without a ball (by hand). Is the vibration normal?

#25 6 years ago

A little bit of white primer.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#26 6 years ago

Some apple barrel country grey. This IS very close in color. I probably couldnt match it any better. Surrounded by some clear tape.

#27 6 years ago

Paint sanded down smooth, ready for some finishing coats.

1 week later
    #30 6 years ago

Been very busy the past two weeks. Not finished yet.
    There is clear tape (with air bubbles) temporarily under the lettering so i can freehand the letters with black paint using a toothpick and magnafying glass. Sparky

#33 6 years ago

Thats roughly what i meant by freehand, but how can i screenprint or create a mask? Thanks. Sparky

4 months later
    #36 6 years ago

Ok, after a long summer, and installing a new pool, i finally had time to work on my sanctum again.

The paint color matched great, i ended up touching up the letters, then put a nice piece of mylar over it all.

Im happy with the results, and it is practically unnoticeable, especially when i look right at it. The line on the right side of the word "THE" is a shadow from the clear plastic above it.
    Thanks for everybodys input!! Sparky

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky70.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-sanctum-repair-2017?tu=sparky70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.