• Latest reply 7 years ago by Djshakes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0726162132_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

The sanctum on my shadow randomly activates during game play. Sometimes the wall drops, sometimes it doesn't, just makes the sound of the sanctum activating. It throws a credit dot after. Plays fine and when you hit the sanctum with ball it works. Reset the game and credit dot disappears until the issue happens again. Sometimes I hear a click before it activates. Optos test fine in switch edge test. Not sure where to start.

#2 7 years ago

Has anyone had the issue of sanctum randomly activating when in game play but ball no where near the sanctum? Is there a way to view what a credit dot test message is without turning the machine on and off? Would an intermittent opto failure trigger the sanctum? For example, if the light omitting diode were to turn on and off.

I had an opto fail on my tz and I reflowed the solder to the small diode and it worked. Maybe I try that?

Totally lost and this sucks.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Is there a way to view what a credit dot test message is without turning the machine on and off?

Open coin door, hit the enter diagnostic button. Error report comes up.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Clean both the receiver and transmitter optos that are in front of the Sanctum area. Dirty optos can cause false switch hits.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

For example, if the light omitting diode were to turn on and off.

As mentioned a dirty opto can do it. Most certainly a weak transmitter opto. can as well Try the cleaning first.

#6 7 years ago

Yeah, tried cleaning multiple times. At least they are easy enough to get to. I just hope it is the optos bc the are a cheap fix. I don't think the lock switches trigger the sanctum, for example a faulty switch behind where balls are held. Do optos fail intermittently before going bad completely?

If it isn't the optos I will get nervous, like if some unrelated switch is causing it. I don't think credit dot will tell me anything. I think it is throwing the dot bc no ball is returned to lock area. I will try to replicate after kids go to bed.

#7 7 years ago

Make sure they're well secured/lined up. Make sure their connectors are firmly and completely inserted into the opto board.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Do optos fail intermittently before going bad completely?

Yes they do. The Transmitter is basically a LED which the light it puts out does get weaker over time. The receiver though, just dies when it goes. Change the transmitter and see what happens.

#9 7 years ago

Look at transmitter through camera phone. It's on. Tap it, move around, stays on. I did notice the wire on the receiver side is bare in a spot where magnet mounts to play field. Maybe this was shorting it out?

0726162132_(resized).jpg0726162132_(resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago

Well, that didn't help. Played fine for a few games. Then I could hear the magnet activating during play randomly. However, the wall wouldn't drop and the music/sounds didn't play didn't play like when you make the shot. Then a few times the wall would drop randomly and it would make the swoosh sound like a sanctum shot, but ball not near it. Basically same as before. I guess I will replace optos. If the doesn't help, I'm not sure what to do.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I guess I will replace optos

Change the transmitter and see what happens. The receiver rarely fails.

#12 7 years ago

What's strange is the Phantom magnet activating before the Phantom opto switch at certain times.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-sanctum-randomly-activating and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.