Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

translite2.jpg
translite1.jpg
playfield_led_2.jpg
playfield_led_1.jpg
sanctum_lit.jpg
wireform.jpg
playfield_shine.jpg
regrain.jpg
spot_welds.jpg
sanctum_buffed.jpg
playfield2_buffed.jpg
playfield1_buffed.jpg
decal_close_up.jpg
playfield_CC_d.jpg
inner_CC_d.jpg
sanctum_CC_d.jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Here is an update to my Shadow teardown and restoration process. I was able to shoot a coat of clear, cut it, and shoot another coat. I'm hoping this will be all I need so I am stalled waiting for it to set hard for a couple of days. I'm really pleased so far! Fingers crossed that this coat sets well!
Here's the original damage:

inner_before.jpg sanctum_before.jpg shadow_playfield_crack.jpg

#2 7 years ago

Here are some resto pics:

sanctum_dolphined.jpg inner_sanded.jpg sanctum_sanded.jpg

#3 7 years ago

Paint:

sanctum_taped_airbrushed.jpg // Error: Image 61738 not found // sanctum_painted_no_text.jpg

#4 7 years ago

more paint:

inner_sanctum_fixed.jpg

#5 7 years ago

Here's where things got interesting. I tried to make a silk screen for the sanctum text with mixed results. In the end I printed onto clear label stickers and went that route. Silk screen could have worked well, it was user error. The last pic is the sticker prior to CC.

silk_screen_on_playfield.jpg silkscreen_close_up.jpg sticker_applied.jpg

#6 7 years ago

Shot the CC over the last two days. 2 full coats with 1 cut between. This is hopefully the last coat before cut and buff. We'll see.

sanctum_CC_d.jpg inner_CC_d.jpg playfield_CC_d.jpg

#7 7 years ago

Beauty

#8 7 years ago

nice

#9 7 years ago

Rave, your rails will be shipped back Monday or Tuesday

Also make sure to put a Mylar over the sanctum anyway. Even if cleared. The sanctum action is particularly abusive.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks Alex! No real rush. This machine is starting to come together. Your work on those rails should really set it off.

#11 7 years ago

Looking great!

What did you use to fill in the sanctum wear?

#12 7 years ago

I used dolphin glaze. It was very easy to work with. I'm sure there are other recommendations such as JB weld and other epoxy fillers. I can say that this stuff was easy to use, an I'm hoping it remains durable. I think it will with the CC, but I will probably mylar the area for the sake of not going through this process a second time. Here's the link:
amazon.com link »

#13 7 years ago

Psyched on the decal not lifting and almost completely invisible!

decal_close_up.jpg

#14 7 years ago

VERY NICE work on the Sanctum.

#15 7 years ago

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. You can buy a ZOW or HULKLE and have a brand new machine today.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from wendell:

Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. You can buy a ZOW or HULKLE and have a brand new machine today.

Boo!

Nice work Rave.

#17 7 years ago

Rave your rails are done

#18 7 years ago

Glad you attempted this yourself and didnt send it my way. Wasn't do bad was it

Did you print on waterside decals? What kind of printer?

#19 7 years ago

Your Shadow is going to turn out great.

#20 7 years ago

I printed with a laser printer onto clear shipping labels purchased at Staples. I was running out of ideas after the failure with the screen print. It worked out, and it has been a really fun project. It takes a lot of patience having a disassembled machine in the living room though!

#21 7 years ago

Great job - looks fanatastic. Did you clear coat the entire playfield or only your work on the sanctum?

#22 7 years ago

CC'd the whole playfield. It's nasty stuff! I'm hoping that it cuts flat so I won't have to use it again.

#23 7 years ago

What did you clear it with?

#24 7 years ago

2 part urethane automotive clear. Added some enhancer to get it to lie flatter. I can send you a link if you want the exact stuff.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

I can send you a link if you want the exact stuff.

Not necessary, but thanks. Just curious.

#26 7 years ago

Amazing work! Attention to detail really pays off. Great work!

#27 7 years ago

Update:
I was able to cut the clear flat. Sanded down to 2500 and buffed a few times. Nice and shiny even before wax!

playfield1_buffed.jpg playfield2_buffed.jpg sanctum_buffed.jpg

#28 7 years ago

Also spot welded the ramps and re-grained. Almost time for reassembly!

spot_welds.jpg regrain.jpg

#29 7 years ago

Nice looking Sanctum you've got there

#30 7 years ago

How did you cut the playfield?

Also what did you use to regrain and the links to the clear coat?

I want to do spot clear on 2 of my shooter lanes then maybe my HS2

#31 7 years ago

I cut the orange peel with a lite 800 grit wet sand. Then 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 wet sand. Then used a buffing compound to get rid of any fine scratches. To regrain I used a bit of mothers metal polish and 800 grit paper, then hit it again with a green scotch brite. Here are the links to the clear. Keep in mind that this stuff is nasty and all precautions need to be taken. In my opinion I wouldn't go through the trouble of using this unless you were going to do the whole playfield. I think there are easier ways that you can read up on here: http://www.pinrepair.com/clear/index.htm
There are a bunch of clears listed on there as well.

link to clears I used:
Part A: http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KC2020-QT
Part B: http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KH2021-HP
Enhancer: http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=KUS+KE218-HP

#32 7 years ago

You shouldn't have spot welded those ramps. If you had any clue you would have GTAW'd them. NOOB.

#33 7 years ago

Looks amazing! I am just north of Hartford and have a Shadow that I replaced the playfield on over 10 years ago....you did an amazing job blending the colors! Great work!

Chris

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from CFoote:

you did an amazing job blending the colors! Great work!

Yeah Rave,kudos all around! I too am afflicted with the same sanctum issue, how did you apply the grey and how did you match it so well?

#35 7 years ago

Thanks dudes! You can see in one of the pics that I taped off that whole section and sprayed it all the same color. I tried matching with marginal success, and ended up using Apple Barrel Country grey acrylic paint. I shot it with a small gravity fed hobby air gun. I think the gun and hose were on $15 on amazon. I can find a link if you're interested. The grey matches decent when you can do a whole block. It's noticeable if you try and blend.

#36 7 years ago

Trying to get those ramps done for you dude so I can get them out the door. I want to see them done on the machine!

#37 7 years ago

Thanks Rave, no need for the link, I was just curious what color you used. I figured you sprayed it somehow, it looked too good to be brushed on. Great job!

#38 7 years ago

It's cool Alex. I have to leave for a business trip from Monday until Sunday. Once I'm back I'll start to reassemble. If you can ship them to be here right after the 20th, that would be ideal. That will give you a bit of time as well. Thanks.

#39 7 years ago

Doing brass powder Alex? My shadow came with fresh brass played wireforms from mike chestnut and it looks so beautiful. Curious to see how this compares.

#40 7 years ago

No Brass. I want to murder this whole machine out in black, even the cabinet hardware. He's powdering them sparcoal, which you can imagine is charcoal with a metallic to it. Not sticking to original colors, sorry to all the purists out there.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

No Brass. I want to murder this whole machine out in black, even the cabinet hardware. He's powdering them sparcoal, which you can imagine is charcoal with a metallic to it. Not sticking to original colors, sorry to all the purists out there.

I look forward to seeing pics of that for sure

1 month later
#42 7 years ago

I finally got the playfield fully populated and operational. I forgot how much stuff is jammed into this machine. It went back together smoothly. The only real tweaking needed was the plunger on the mini playfield would not engage. Easy fix. The playfield is amazingly flat and fast. Almost unplayable fast! Props to Alex for the wireforms. I wish I could get a better pic. I think the sparcoal was a great color choice, and love how it looks!

playfield_shine.jpg wireform.jpg sanctum_lit.jpg

#43 7 years ago

And cointaker LEDs throughout. No issues with defective bulbs at all.

playfield_led_1.jpg playfield_led_2.jpg

#44 7 years ago

I needed to get some games in on this restored playfield. I still plan on touching up the cabinet, but that will have to wait until spring. I'll have pics of the new backglass soon. I can't wait for the CPR plastic set. THIS MACHINE NEEDS THEM!

#45 7 years ago

Looks great! Nice work

#46 7 years ago

Glad you like them Rave. That color would look great on almost any machine but the shadow is the perfect theme for them.

#47 7 years ago

Looks good, nice work.

#48 7 years ago

looks great, fantastic job

#49 7 years ago

Amazing job

#50 7 years ago

I think this will look awesome with the all black hardware once it's done. I put the alt translite on and an all black Bally speaker panel on it. Looking forward to a finished product soon.

translite1.jpg translite2.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Plymouth, MN
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Westminster, BC
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside