Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C62A4609-C127-46F6-AC32-5E809373FA59 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

My Shadow has been playing flawless for months and haven't done anything to it in a long time. All of the sudden the game resets after you start a new game and push the right flipper button. Would appreciate any help you guys can provide! As always, thank you so much. -- Craig

#3 5 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. Will go through that and report back. Cheers.

1 week later
#4 5 years ago

So yesterday I finally found some time to boot up The Shadow to troubleshoot this issue and it is mysteriously gone. What the heck? I did notice a wire broke off one of the back panel flashers. Think the resets were due to a short or something?

#5 5 years ago

Check to make sure you don’t have a diode loose on the flipper coil. The making/breaking of contact will cause crazy things.

#6 5 years ago

Have you fixed that cable? Problem solved? If not try to have a look at the right flipper solenoid diodes..maybe they have a cracked solder..

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Pesmerga:

Have you fixed that cable? Problem solved? If not try to have a look at the right flipper solenoid diodes..maybe they have a cracked solder..

Yes, I soldered the flasher wire back on and haven't had any issues thus far. Thanks!

Quoted from Billc479:

Check to make sure you don’t have a diode loose on the flipper coil. The making/breaking of contact will cause crazy things.

Thank you! Going to double check the diodes.

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

Bumping this thread as something interesting has developed. I have TS, WH2O, FT and TOM all plugged into this power strip that has a remote control you can use to turn the power strip on/off which then turns all the pins on/off. So the on/off switch on the pins is left "on" all the time and power strip controls whether they have power or not.

Yesterday powered them all up using the remote control to the power switch and TS, WH2O and TOM all were reseating when you hit both flipper buttons. I think all of them were also showing a "Sound Board Interface Error" in the test error messages. However, the issue does not always persist (i.e. the "Sound Board Interface" error will go away if you power cycle the machine and the resets either go away or seem much harder to trigger.

I've read mixed reviews on using a remote controlled power switch to control multiple games. Wanted to get some feedback on this from the community on using a power strip like this.

Also, any opinions on whether or not this power strip could have caused this issue with multiple games? Seems like the likely culprit to me.

I ordered 4 of these daughterboards to see if they would provide a quick patch for my issue: http://www.kahr.us/index.html

Edit: Strangely enough, this didn't seem to effect FT at all.

Thanks
Craig

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I think all of them were also showing a "Sound Board Interface Error

this sounds very very odd usually when that happens the sound roms would need to be reseated..But on ALL games?I would leave it alone.

Quoted from Cserold:

Also, any opinions on whether or not this power strip could have caused this issue with multiple games? Seems like the likely culprit to me.

Yes this is probably 99% the problem,My money is on this

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

this sounds very very odd usually when that happens the sound roms would need to be reseated..But on ALL games?I would leave it alone.

Yes this is probably 99% the problem,My money is on this

Thanks. Is there something about TS, TOM and WH2O that would make them more susceptible to power damage and resets vs. FT?

Would also like to hear thoughts from some of you electrical guys on the risks of keeping on/off switch always set to “on” and powering up multiple games at the power strip at same time

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks. Is there something about TS, TOM and WH2O that would make them more susceptible to power damage and resets vs. FT?

no,they all use the same basic WPC system and the reset issue majority of the time turns out to be a bad BR on the driver board.But resets could be caused by a number of things and if FT keeps resetting its most likely a bridge or a bad diode on coil ect.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

no,they all use the same basic WPC system and the reset issue majority of the time turns out to be a bad BR on the driver board.But resets could be caused by a number of things and if FT keeps resetting its most likely a bridge or a bad diode on coil ect.

Thanks. FT was the only one that didn’t get hit with this issue out of the 4 of them. The two reporting sound board interface error (TOM and WH2O) have pinsound. I think I definitely fried something at exact same time when I powered on the power strip using the wireless remote. Surprised nobody had offered an opinion on whether or not powering games up like I’m doing is a bad idea.

#13 5 years ago

If all or most of your games are reporting the same/similar errors then look for what is common to them all?

In this case you have them all plugged into a power distribution strip of some sort.

Why not remove ONE machine from this strip and leave the others plugged into it.

Find a power outlet for the single machine to be on its own.

See what happens after a few power on/off cycles.

Perhaps you need an electrician to add some power points as maybe your house wiring circuit isn't up to the load for this number of machines?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Surprised nobody had offered an opinion on whether or not powering games up like I’m doing is a bad idea.

In my opinion its not a good idea to power them all on right at the same time

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Find a power outlet for the single machine to be on its own.

this would be a good idea to try

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

this would be a good idea to try

Thanks guys. This was definitely one one of the first thing I tried. Plugged one of them directly into a all outlet. Didn’t help as I think the damage was already done on a previous power up.

Question... is there any fundamental difference to the machine if you toggle the on/off switch vs. having power switch “on” then providing power by turning a power strip on or plugging directly into an outlet

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks guys. This was definitely one one of the first thing I tried. Plugged one of them directly into a all outlet. Didn’t help as I think the damage was already done on a previous power up.
Question... is there any fundamental difference to the machine if you toggle the on/off switch vs. having power switch “on” then providing power by turning a power strip on or plugging directly into an outlet

No real difference BUT if you are switching several machines on at the same time - that's a different story as you are asking the mains to supply 4 x 5 amps at the same time! Can your power board and house wiring handle that sort of current?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

i dont think so but keep in mind these games built by williams/bally were only expected to have a 5 or 7 year life span so they are getting older and our love for them is whats keeping them alive.Man,when i think about the 90's it seems like it was just yesterday but in reality your talking anywhere from 25yrs-28yrs.

let me ask you this did you have bad weather where you live?such as lightining,thunderstorms? those power surge strips are alright but sometimes they tend to slip up when surges occur.

#19 5 years ago

Clark Griswold ???

C62A4609-C127-46F6-AC32-5E809373FA59 (resized).jpegC62A4609-C127-46F6-AC32-5E809373FA59 (resized).jpeg
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Clark Griswold ???

Ha! thats really asking for trouble..real quick..lol!!!

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

No real difference BUT if you are switching several machines on at the same time - that's a different story as you are asking the mains to supply 4 x 5 amps at the same time! Can your power board and house wiring handle that sort of current?

I don’t know honestly. Here is the power strip I’m using. It’s really convenient to have all your remotes hung on the wall and use them to power up your games. Obviously not cool enough if it damages games

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V2PTKLW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Cycloneman:

let me ask you this did you have bad weather where you live?such as lightining,thunderstorms? those power surge strips are alright but sometimes they tend to slip up when surges occur.

No bad weather but the issue seemed to occur after my old man turned this row of machines on using the toggle remote switch. It’s like he did a quick double Power by toggling the button twice to the on position in quick succession. All 3 immediately started double flip resets with Tom And WH2O reporting “sound board interface error” for the first time ever

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

No bad weather but the issue seemed to occur after my old man turned this row of machines on using the toggle remote switch. It’s like he did a quick double Power by toggling the button twice to the on position in quick succession. All 3 immediately started double flip resets with Tom And WH2O reporting “sound board interface error” for the first time ever

i hear ya,it has to be that power strip because for 3 machines to act up and do the same thing all at once is highly highly unusual.

#24 5 years ago

My bet is the power strip is now bad, and not providing enough power to your machines. This causes the voltage to drop and resets are common when that happens.

When you plugged the single game in to test earlier, did you have all of your other machines off, or were there other devices on the same circuit?

Test it on a circuit with everything else turned off. If you don't know how things are wired in your house, turn off all the lights and appliances in the same room and possibly the adjacent rooms. If it still resets, then you prob need your power boards rebuilt.

If it is fine, then it is either the strip, or you have something new on the circuit you haven't thought about - fridge, a/c or big TV?

I had this issue when I moved all my machines into a room for a tournament. They all played sluggishly and shut off when I turned on a big screen TV. I ended up running extension cords from other circuits until I renovate the basement.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

My bet is the power strip is now bad, and not providing enough power to your machines

yes thats highly possible and your right.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

My bet is the power strip is now bad, and not providing enough power to your machines. This causes the voltage to drop and resets are common when that happens.
When you plugged the single game in to test earlier, did you have all of your other machines off, or were there other devices on the same circuit?
Test it on a circuit with everything else turned off. If you don't know how things are wired in your house, turn off all the lights and appliances in the same room and possibly the adjacent rooms. If it still resets, then you prob need your power boards rebuilt.
If it is fine, then it is either the strip, or you have something new on the circuit you haven't thought about - fridge, a/c or big TV?
I had this issue when I moved all my machines into a room for a tournament. They all played sluggishly and shut off when I turned on a big screen TV. I ended up running extension cords from other circuits until I renovate the basement.

Quoted from Cycloneman:

yes thats highly possible and your right.

Thanks so much guys. I will Test this out. What would quailfy as the “same circuit” as it relates to the outlets in my house? For example, are both plugs that are part of the traditional two outlet wall panel always on same circuit? What about other 2 outlet plugs in a single room? Are those typically in the same circuit or not necessarily? Does a breaker control everything on the same circuit?

And, excuse my ignorance here, but if I brought an electrician over and just said “make this right” as it relates to providing power to all my machines upstairs, would that be enough for them to run with?

#27 5 years ago

I use that same power strip, 2 of them synced to the same remote actually to turn on all my games at the same time with one switch. One one power strip I have 4 pins, on the other power strip I have 2 arcade cabinets with CRTs. No issues whatsoever caused by the power strips but of course your house's wiring and other items on the circuit are another variable to consider.

#28 5 years ago

Yes, same circuit is controlled by a circuit breaker, so best way to figure out what's on it is to shut it off. Normally it's the lights and outlets in 1 or more rooms.

You would need to tell the electrician what you want. There are many threads about electric here, it's all about the amperage i guess If you have several on the same circuit, I think people go with 20 amps

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-amps-on-breakers-fried-breaker-playing-pinball

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/60-amps-how-many-pins

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-tips-for-outlets-for-pins-wattageamps

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 37.50
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-resets-when-right-flipper-button-pushed?hl=cycloneman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.