(Topic ID: 136780)

Shadow playfield teardown, questions on process/step order?

By jonesjb

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jonesjb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I'm going to send through my wireforms to Mike Chestnut, and figured since I'll be removing them, I may as well clean and wax the playfield. I'm new to this, and thought I'd reach out and ask what the chronoligical process should be. For example, I wouldn't want to take off the wireframes off, leaving the diverters and rings loose then not be able to lift the playfield at risk of damaging because something is just hanging by wires. All the mechanics are working (knock on wood), and here is what I'd like to do:

-Remove and rebrass the wireforms
-Rebuild the 3 flippers (I think there may be loctite on there, because the nut won't budge).
-Change all the LEDs
-Clean and wax the playfield
-Replace the plastics

A few questions I have:

-Should I remove everything (above and below playfield)? And in what order? Do I have to remove the metal guides and posts too? I'd prefer not to remove what isn't necesary.
-If so, how do I figure out what needs to be unplugged prior to removal (I want to prevent having something halfway unscrewed only to find out that I need to lift the playfield and unplug it).
-Does the battlefield need to be removed completely?I'm guessing so, I know you can unscrew it to flip it up, but does it come out easily too (completely off the playfield)
-Anything I should be aware of when cleaning/removing parts around the innersanctum? Condition is pretty good, I'll be mylaring the area.
-Is there anything else I should check/clean/replace while I have most parts removed and is there any other advice I should bear in mind?

Thanks for you help!

#2 8 years ago

The wireforms should come off with out having to remove anything else. Just unplug the rings and switches underneath that are on hem and you should be good. As for how much should you remove to clean it up, the more you take off the better, but if your not comfortable with it, then don't. Removal order is fairly straight forward, I usually just write down the order I removed stuff and reassemble in reverse.

#3 8 years ago

One of the easier wpc games to tear down.

The battlefield comes off by unplugging the connectors, removing the thumb screw, and the its 4(?) screws on the hing bracket.

As doot said the wire forms come off fairly easy. And with them and the mini pf off you can get to most of the pf to clean and wax

The only difficulty I ran into the first time I tore mine apart were the divertor set screws (2 per) were held in with lock tight. The left one especially is in tight quarters under the pf - I repositioned lots of stuff around the area to make room to get my soldering iron in and Allen wrench.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

One of the easier wpc games to tear down.
The battlefield comes off by unplugging the connectors, removing the thumb screw, and the its 4(?) screws on the hing bracket.
As doot said the wire forms come off fairly easy. And with them and the mini pf off you can get to most of the pf to clean and wax
The only difficulty I ran into the first time I tore mine apart were the divertor set screws (2 per) were held in with lock tight. The left one especially is in tight quarters under the pf - I repositioned lots of stuff around the area to make room to get my soldering iron in and Allen wrench.

good to know I got new ramps for my shadow and I was wondering about the divertors and how they came apart.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks, do you think it would be possible to clean most of the playfield and change plastics without removing the divertors? They sound like a pain, especially with loctite! And would you recommend removing the switches on the wireforms completely or just unattaching them from the wireform?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-playfield-teardown-questions-on-processstep-order and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.