“What to do?”

• Keep your Shadow. What are you, mad?! 65 votes
    71%
  • Go for Junk Yard. It's refreshing! 16 votes
    17%
  • F*ck off with your poll. 11 votes
    12%

(92 votes)

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hi all!

I've had my Shadow for about 15 years now. It's one of my favorite machines, but it does not get the play it used to. Mainly because I know the gameplay by head. I still do love it a lot, though. And it's in great shape. I've got an option to trade it against a Junk Yard (plus or minus some $, that has yet to be worked out).

I'd like to know what you think about a trade between these 2 machines. I'm not a top tier player, but certainly an above average one. For my home, I like machines that give me a challenge and keep on doing so for a longer period of time. They don't have to be deep, but challenging is a very important thing. That's why I have games like The Shadow and Dracula in my collection. On the other hand, I like my games to be 'inviting' to new players, for which Shadow and Drac certainly don't qualify.

I'm curious what you guys think about this trade possibility, mainly from a gameplay perspective. I don't know JY that well. Does it hold your interest, and why (not)? Can you set it up to be a challenging, but honest game? How does the ruleset hold up when playing it regularly?

Thanks for your input!

#2 7 years ago

I had a JY for a little while.

It didn't keep my attention for bey long. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

A nice Shadow goes for big $$$ these days. I'd think you could find a much better trade.

#3 7 years ago

Don't do the trade keep the Shadow or 6 months down the road you'll be kicking yourself say why why why... did I do that!

#4 7 years ago

Agree if you do get rid of shadow don't do it for junk yard pursue a better title.

#5 7 years ago

Not a fair trade. Hold out for a better title. Maybe a nice Congo?

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. Seems like everybody up until now is leaning towards keeping The Shadow. Any other views?

I've added a poll, to see if this is indeed the general opinion.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I like machines that give me a challenge and keep on doing so for a longer period of time.

JY got kind of old to me... quick. I didn't like the left flipper feed all the time. I also thought it was relatively easy to beat too. I don't like pins with toilets on them anymore. JY was almost a grail for me when I got it. I had a beautiful HUO example, but it just came across as clunky. The wrecking ball didn't help.

The Shadow has more legs then JY in my opinion.

I have owned both.

#8 7 years ago

I have JY. Nice playfield. Original theme. It's pretty challenging game and I've still got nowhere near defeating Crazy Bob in space. Looks amazing fully LED'd..

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I have JY. Nice playfield. Original theme. It's pretty challenging game and I've still got nowhere near defeating Crazy Bob in space. Looks amazing fully LED'd..

Interesting! I see you've got a Shadow in your collection as well. How do the two games stand up to each other?

#10 7 years ago

Not even in the same boat gameplay wise. Shadow is much bettef player but jy is just fun to play for a few months.

#11 7 years ago

Both are valued about the same if condition is similar tho 2800-3300 usually is the going rate

#12 7 years ago

Agree with others. JY is a decent game but don't see it lasting long in a home environment. Shadow has a lot more going for it with different ways to play and better challenging gameplay. If you don't play it anymore, I would sell for cash and get a game you really want.

#13 7 years ago

I think every pin I've listed on pinside has had a "trade for JY?" response

#14 7 years ago

Shadow by a mile. You don't see JY in many top notch collections.

#15 7 years ago

If you like modding and colored LED's, Junk Yard has plenty of fun opportunities. Check out the fan club for ideas and photos.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/junk-yard-club-all-welcome

#16 7 years ago

Junkyard is just a terrible game. Maybe it's more fun to mod than it is to play.

#17 7 years ago

I vote that if you are bored with Shadow then might as well part with it.

That said, JY is a dog of a game and not one worth owning IMO.

I wuold just sell TS outright and go buy something else with your funds.

#18 7 years ago

Definitely Shadow. Is this a joke thread?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

Don't do the trade keep the Shadow or 6 months down the road you'll be kicking yourself say why why why... did I do that!

Hopefully to sell the Shadow to me.

Least one of us would come out ahead .

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Definitely Shadow. Is this a joke thread?

Why? I have passed on Shadow many times over the years. I recently bought back Junk Yard. In a good sized collection it is something different to play. I like many of the non-licensed themes.

To me Shadow has enough things I didn't like put into one package. I'm not big on the extra buttons for changing the diverters and I always called it playing trains. I don't like the mini playfield with the stick. I hated the movie. The original translight is so creepy most people agree that is has to go and is probably the most replaced translight in history.

I'm not saying it is a horrible playing game. I like the art deco look. The the dots are good. The Sanctum lock to MB is very cool. It is one of those "to each their own" things.

#21 7 years ago

For the record, I love my Junk Yard and play it every day. It's a keeper in my collection. But putting it up against Shadow is comparing apples and oranges.

Try Junk Yard out (on location, at a friends' or on Farsight's Pinball Arcade), learn the rules and decide first if it's a game you'd enjoy. But if you like Shadow, I suspect you'd prefer a faster, ramp-ier, flow-ier, points-based game like Medieval Madness, Indiana Jones or Spider-Man.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I like many of the non-licensed themes.

I agree with Taxman on this one.

I've played The Shadow and Junk Yard pretty extensively, and while I can see how TS is greatly revered, the theme and gameplay of JY is unique and satisfying. Nothing scratches an itch quite like a fun unlicensed theme.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

.... Junk Yard. In a good sized collection it is something different to play.

That is the big key. In a small collection, it is really on its own, and subsequently, changes hands quickly.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

I'm not a top tier player, but certainly an above average one. For my home, I like machines that give me a challenge and keep on doing so for a longer period of time. They don't have to be deep, but challenging is a very important thing.

Same here. I'm decent, but not great.

Junk Yard is fun, but it's far from challenging. You'll be defeating Bob in no time. I played the crap out of Junk Yard on location years and years ago and it got to where not defeating Bob was a bad game. A good game was doing it multiple times.

Fun game, but far from challenging, and I sure wouldn't trade a Shadow for one.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Why? I have passed on Shadow many times over the years. I recently bought back Junk Yard. In a good sized collection it is something different to play.

What's a "large-sized collection?" 30 games? 40?

It would have to be one big-ass collection for me to really get off on a Junkyard.

Most people have 1-10 games and there's literally hundreds of machines that would better serve that slot in a collection.

#26 7 years ago

junkyard is one of those games that is fun to play at someone elses house. Shadow has a lot more going for it.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

It is one of those "to each their own" things.

Exactly. Shadow is a blast to me, hard as hell. I love the diverters being controlled by buttons. It adds one more thing to do. The game plays fast and brutal. I also tend to really like the mini playfield. If only my game room wasn't tore apart I would play a game right now.

#28 7 years ago

I prefer shadow over junkyard all day but value wise its a fair trade. Junkyard is fun and guests really like it and its a great looking pin, better than shadow in the looks department.

#29 7 years ago

JY is fun and has a good original theme that doesn't deserve the hate it gets, but with only 4 modes and repetitive video modes it gets old. If only they would have made the modes and rules a little more robust. My mom sure liked it though.

Shadow gets old too (I guess they all do?) and a good game usually just depends on how well you're hitting the mode start that day, but more to do and a better overall package. Plus, upper flipper is rad. If you're bored with Shadow though, a new game is always better than one you're not interested in anymore.

#30 7 years ago

Looking at your collection, Shadow is the last game I would sell. JY is ok, but Shadow for me is miles better.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I prefer shadow over junkyard all day but value wise its a fair trade. Junkyard is fun and guests really like it and its a great looking pin, better than shadow in the looks department.

Oh I thought historically JY was worth more than shadow. Is this no longer the case?

#32 7 years ago

Guess I enjoy fun original themed pins. I've played the Shadow many of times, can't get into it. Junkyard fits into my collection nicely next to Fishtales and Gofers.

#33 7 years ago

JY is a fun game, does not require much thought or understanding of the rules, but accordingly has no depth, very little strategy and does not hold up well over repeated plays. Given these attributes there is definitely a place for it in a larger collection. I enjoyed it when I had it, traded it for a Centaur, EBD and a Derby Day and have no regrets on trading. I always look forward to playing it when I can, but, playing it, is a reminder of why I let it go.

I will say kids like it, since hitting the wrecking ball is something they 'get'.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Oh I thought historically JY was worth more than shadow. Is this no longer the case?

I sold both in the past, not too far apart and I think I got $2600 both times although shadow was a little nicer than junkyard. I would make the trade either way straight up if I had one I was bored with and wanted the other.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

nah, about the same. 3kish for each

#36 7 years ago

You're probably going to get an overwhelming response in favor of keeping The Shadow.

JunkYard is pretty cool but I feel like it's a one trick pony. I always feel like I'm shooting for that center shot behind the wrecking ball. Sure there are other ramp shots and such but the flow of the game and the speed really lends itself to slapping the ball right back up the middle. Multi-ball starts here as well as Jackpots and most of the rewarding shots on this game are straight up the gut shots all day long. So it does get kind of boring in that aspect. I'm sure you could break this one down and get into more of the modes and goals of the game but the whole play style and flow seems to be centralized around the wrecking ball bash toy. If you hate games with bash toys you might not care for JunkYard.

Looks like you have owned your fair share of machines and I was going to suggest BSD but it looks like you already have one. Not sure what else might fit the bill, Indy 500? I think you'd be done with JY after a few months or years maybe considering you like the more challenging games....

#37 7 years ago

Loving all the comments so far, guys! Keep 'em coming.

The number of people telling me to f*ck off with my poll is now higher than the number of people telling me to go for Junk Yard. I guess that says something. Just not sure what.

#38 7 years ago

I have not read all the comments yet but this is a no brainer for me. Keep the Shadow!!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Cdoubleu1:

Not a fair trade. Hold out for a better title. Maybe a nice Congo?

It's hilarious how the "it" pins in the hobby ebb and flow. I had a perfect Congo I took to California Extreme about 10 years ago that I was selling for $1800 with no takers because it was seen as not a great pin. Now it would go for almost triple that and is considered moderately desirable. Shadow was in the same boat for a long time. Partially because plastic parts were rare and super-expensive ($300 for just that sanctum brick one), which made it so not many people played it. Once I got the license from Gene and made the Shadow plastic supersets at a reasonable price, the value of the Shadow machines took off. Unfortunately I was between Shadows when that happened and I screwed myself! Maybe when CPR finishes my new Shadow playfield I'll jump back in. Shadow is a fantastic game for player skill.

#40 7 years ago

There's no doubt JY is a fairly popular pin or it would go for less money. I think people like the art and theme, and it's an AWESOME game for kids/guests/wives (otherwise known as people who don't like pinball). If that's important to you, snatch one up. And it's obviously important to many because this has never been a bargain game.

It's really an awful game for serious or even semi-serious players. The layout blows and that is matched by the software/ruleset. It just doesn't have much to offer.

Shadow is pretty much the opposite of this game in many respects.

#41 7 years ago

JY has a standard price of $2800....been steady for years and years.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It oddly has. One of those pins that has been immune to pinflation for the pat 5 years.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It oddly has. One of those pins that has been immune to pinflation for the pat 5 years.

Well, in that case it's worth less than Shadow and not a good trade on those terms.

Shadow has been rising, and Junkyard hasn't.

Would have been a good trade 5 years ago for a Shadow owner.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, in that case it's worth less than Shadow and not a good trade on those terms.
Shadow has been rising, and Junkyard hasn't.

Correct...although I feel like Shadow went way up, then down a bit. Of course that could have just been a monthly rash of sales at the height

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Somebody tell Steinbrink.

#46 7 years ago

I have a Junkyard at its one of the least played games. Shadow is a lot better game.. I would trade my JY for a shadow any day!!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's hilarious how the "it" pins in the hobby ebb and flow. I had a perfect Congo I took to California Extreme about 10 years ago that I was selling for $1800 with no takers because it was seen as not a great pin. Now it would go for almost triple that and is considered moderately desirable. Shadow was in the same boat for a long time.

+1M
There are pins that are "IN" that were "OUT" 10 years ago... WH20, Shadow, FT, I500, BSD, Congo, RFM, TFTC, and G&R

Out are JY, NF, RS, NBAFB, (NGG to some extent), CP (The biggest drop)

It seems the "bang for your buck DMD" pinballs these days are WPT, TSPP, LOTR (3.5-4K for players)

#48 7 years ago

Very slightly off topic. I have a MM and a AFM. I recently sold my TOM (my first pin and have had for 10 years) and bought a JY. So, I cannot directly compare Shadow which I have not owned. I am enjoying the JY over the TOM. TOM is a beautiful pin with great ball flow. But multi-ball is hit the trunk repeatedly. Wizard mode is really nothing much. I love the wizard mode on JY. It is a little simple though. Playing 5 ball, I have gotten the wizard mode 3 times in one game and won twice. I stay away from the wrecking ball though because you lose ball control. I just repeatedly go after the 2 shots on each side. I do not plan to get rid of my JY anytime soon even though I only have 4 pins. If they ever improve the TOM rule set I will be very upset that I sold my beautiful TOM.

#49 7 years ago

I love junkyard, it's a very unique theme an really fun to play, the only thing that sort of bugs me about the game is how often the video mode comes up , a friend of mine has one so I get a fix from time to time, if he didn't have it I would put it on my Wishlist , but your looking for a game to attract non pinheads to play at your house when they come around, I would at least think about it, it is a fun game...

#50 7 years ago

I love both games. Had a Shadow and now own a JY. Shadow is the harder more serious pin while JY is just fun and more of a guest pin. Would I trade my JY for a Shadow. Maybe down the road. Really having fun playing JY right now and I have had it for over a year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-or-junk-yard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.