Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C1D6AF26-221C-4847-9D49-34D5CC80CA8D (resized).jpeg
IMG_0896 (resized).jpg
IMG_0895 (resized).jpg
IMG_0894 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys,

All of the sudden the mech that releases the physically locked balls in the top-right of the playfield is not working properly.

The coil fires and voltage at the coil is measuring 67V (is this high? thought it was a 50V circuit?) The coil fires and "opens" the release mech to release a ball, however, the issue is that the mech does not return to it's originally position so that the next ball in line can move up to be released. I don't see any kind of "return spring" on coil assembly so I'm at a loss for how the plunger is pulled back out of the coil after the coil powers off.

Default position (before coil fires):
IMG_0895 (resized).jpgIMG_0895 (resized).jpg

Coil fires to open up the mech to release ball but it gets "stuck" in this position and blocks the next ball in line:
IMG_0896 (resized).jpgIMG_0896 (resized).jpg

Pic of the coil assembly:
IMG_0894 (resized).jpgIMG_0894 (resized).jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Cheers, CraigIMG_0894 (resized).jpgIMG_0894 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Hey guys,
All of the sudden the mech that releases the physically locked balls in the top-right of the playfield is not working properly.
The coil fires and voltage at the coil is measuring 67V (is this high? thought it was a 50V circuit?) The coil fires and "opens" the release mech to release a ball, however, the issue is that the mech does not return to it's originally position so that the next ball in line can move up to be released. I don't see any kind of "return spring" on coil assembly so I'm at a loss for how the plunger is pulled back out of the coil after the coil powers off.
Default position (before coil fires):
[quoted image]
Coil fires to open up the mech to release ball but it gets "stuck" in this position and blocks the next ball in line:
[quoted image]
Pic of the coil assembly:
[quoted image]
Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Cheers, Craig[quoted image]

It is normal to have a slightly higher voltage at the coil and everything looks correct. It appears that a red wire may be rubbing on the mechanism preventing it to rotate freely? Also I would pull out the coil sleeve and clean it to make sure it is free from dirt.

#3 4 years ago

You may want to check and make sure its actually in the right position. The ball eject piece looks like it might be a little to far turned counter-clockwise. Looks like it needs to be clocked clockwise just a little bit.

A couple of ways to work around it not returning if you cant figure it out. First, convert it to fliptronics style. Those cone springs kind of suck. Second, add an additional spring in.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Scoot:

It is normal to have a slightly higher voltage at the coil and everything looks correct. It appears that a red wire may be rubbing on the mechanism preventing it to rotate freely? Also I would pull out the coil sleeve and clean it to make sure it is free from dirt.

Thanks! The wire was just an illusion from the photo angle. See pic below. I’ll try replacing plunger. I just don’t understand how this thing is supposed to mechanically function. The coil activates and pulls the plunger in which then opens the diverter to free the ball. How in the hell is the plunger pulled back out of the coil to move the diverter back to its original position?

C1D6AF26-221C-4847-9D49-34D5CC80CA8D (resized).jpegC1D6AF26-221C-4847-9D49-34D5CC80CA8D (resized).jpeg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

You may want to check and make sure its actually in the right position. The ball eject piece looks like it might be a little to far turned counter-clockwise. Looks like it needs to be clocked clockwise just a little bit.
A couple of ways to work around it not returning if you cant figure it out. First, convert it to fliptronics style. Those cone springs kind of suck. Second, add an additional spring in.

Thank you. What all would it entail to convert to fliptronics style? Where would the additional spring be used? I’m just not understanding how the original design was supposed to return the diverter back to its original position after the coil deactivates.

Appreciate the feedback

#6 4 years ago

Update..... replaced coil tube, bushing and the spring and all is well. I think it was a combo of weak spring, worn bushing and old dirty coil tube. Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-multiball-release-help?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.