You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10172659_10203152794317088_3781509660520850593_n.jpg
shadow_switch_mod.jpg
shadow_mod_reverse_angle.jpg

#1 9 years ago

After bending the targets forward, as suggested, I'm still getting wicked air balls, most of which hop over the outlane and into the abyss. Not good.

Someone (I think Captiveball) mentioned upgrading to the reinforced targets, item number #A-18530-6R.

Has anyone done this and had the problem eliminated? I do have the normal foam behind my posts as well.

Anyone? These damn airballs are frustrating as hell with an already hard as hell pin.

#2 9 years ago

Anyone?

#3 9 years ago

I replaced mine, and it helped a lot. Check the foam behind yours, mine was almost completely worn out. I still will get an occasional airball, but highly recommend swapping them for fresh targets.

#4 9 years ago

Mine look fresh as do the foam pieces.

#5 9 years ago

Bump. Anyone try these reinforced stand ups?

3 weeks later
#6 9 years ago

I just got my super nice shadow and targets are launching balls all over the place. I bent mine forward and still no good.. I will figure this out have you made any more progress?

#7 9 years ago

I fixed mine by adding some thicker foam behind the targets. Think I bought the stuff at lowes. Never had an airball after that. Mine was sending the ball over the flips constantly.

#8 9 years ago

cool. are you targets close to 90 degrees or are they tilted forward?

#9 9 years ago

I bent my targets forward quite a bit. And they have good foam. Still have airballs.

Someone needs to try reinforced targets.

#10 9 years ago

Maybe it's the springiness of the foam that is generating the bounce. I think I am gonna try and get some a thinner foam, leave a gap and see what happens.

#11 9 years ago

alright, I bent mine forward even more and put in new foam and things seem pretty good. I really wish the previous owners had taken care of this before the clear coat got all dented from this flying balls.. oh well.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

These damn airballs are frustrating as hell with an already hard as hell pin.

I hear ya brother! I try not to aim straight at those targets, and if I happen to hit them while trying to make the ramp, and get burned in the process, I just chalk it up as part of the game. Play better!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I hear ya brother! I try not to aim straight at those targets, and if I happen to hit them while trying to make the ramp, and get burned in the process, I just chalk it up as part of the game. Play better!

I agree!

#14 9 years ago

Nothing to do with the mongol targeted but does anyone have trouble with the left ramp right exit switch. I have had a lot of trouble getting it adjusted. Either I get it working but if the ball comes fast it actually jumps the switch blade or if slow gets trapped.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Nothing to do with the mongol targeted but does anyone have trouble with the left ramp right exit switch. I have had a lot of trouble getting it adjusted. Either I get it working but if the ball comes fast it actually jumps the switch blade or if slow gets trapped.

Pretty standard, I believe. It is a finite adjustment. My first Shadow I replaced the switch and that helped. If it gets stuck, hitting the diverter a few times can jar it loose.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Getting that switch tuned is a bitch. Mine is pretty solid after I tweaked it, but some people mount the switch down further with an acrylic extension, or use a longer switch arm.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Took me a while to tweak mine to always work. You can do it!

#18 9 years ago

There is a thread somewhere if you google it regarding that switch

#19 9 years ago

Agree on the targets, do not aim for them or pay the price.

On the ramp switch, took me a while to tweak and got it working 95% so didn't need to move it. Did save the pictures if someone needs/wants to do that I've attached (forgot original author so can't give credit where it is due).

Eric
shadow_switch_mod.jpgshadow_switch_mod.jpgshadow_mod_reverse_angle.jpgshadow_mod_reverse_angle.jpg

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Agree on the targets, do not aim for them or pay the price.
On the ramp switch, took me a while to tweak and got it working 95% so didn't need to move it. Did save the pictures if someone needs/wants to do that I've attached (forgot original author so can't give credit where it is due).
Eric

shadow_mod_reverse_angle.jpg 72 KB

shadow_switch_mod.jpg 74 KB

Oh Snap! Thanks that is awesome. I will have to do that.

I did take a piece of acrylic about 1-2mm thick and put it under the switch at it's orginal location. Now the switch is activated approximately 95% of the time with no air balls. The ball still gets stuck if the shot is extremely weak and does fly off the ramp about 5% of the time with a strong shot (switch still registers a hit).

I am going to try the extension. Thanks.

PS sorry for derailing the thread.
I did have a problem with the right target in front of the left ramp and was getting air balls. There was no foam backing though. I put a piece I had got precut from PinballLife and it fixed the problem.

#21 9 years ago

i havent messed with my mongol targets at all but i do notice i get way more airballs from one then the other. looking at them they are both bent slightly forward but the one i get less airballs from is also slightly turned at an angle..might be worth a shot to try turning the faces of the targets slightly

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

i havent messed with my mongol targets at all but i do notice i get way more airballs from one then the other. looking at them they are both bent slightly forward but the one i get less airballs from is also slightly turned at an angle..might be worth a shot to try turning the faces of the targets slightly

I did this also, I just loosened screws under playfield and turned the targets as much away from the ramp as possible.. there is almost nowhere to go but they did change angle ever so slightly.. I played a couple games just aiming for the targets and had pretty much no air balls.

#23 9 years ago

I've had both of these problems, Airballs were fixed with new foam and bending targets quite a bit forward. The switch I sorted 90% by fitting a much longer switch wire to the switch, long and straight rather than the type shown.

#24 9 years ago

once you have to start bending targets back they will just end up bending the same way again I replaced mine and its been fine since

#25 9 years ago

I haven't had to touch mine since I bent them a year ago.....

#26 9 years ago

Can anyone speak to the reinforced targets?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I haven't had to touch mine since I bent them a year ago.....

I bent mine twice befor giving up and they had been bent b4 that

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Can anyone speak to the reinforced targets?

I have spoken to the original ones, and I'm sure they are not too happy with what I had to say.

#29 9 years ago

LOL. Sorry.

Can someone speak OF the reinforced targets and if they correct this issue?

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

LOL. Sorry.
Can someone speak OF the reinforced targets and if they correct this issue?

I think the reinforced targets will only help if your current ones are bent. My game has them, and I still had a problem with air balls. I put on some new higher density foam and it solved the problem. The foam you can buy in pre-cut pieces compresses back down after a short time. I bought a roll of material from the website that sells all the pin repair items ( can't remember its name) and it worked much better.

#31 9 years ago

I have reinforced targets on TZ and they work well (slot machine scoop target). However, the ball rebounds back fast as it seems there is no give because they are reinforced. Maybe try one and see. I would probably just replace the targets with normal targets.
Have you checked the flipper coils (are they the right coils)?

#32 9 years ago

Yeah, I'm using the correct strength coils.

This seems to be a common issue amongst shadows with a lot of owners. I think it's just a designed thing.

#33 9 years ago

So I play my shadow quite a bit... and it may sound a little cheap, or ghetto but I ordered some rubber grommet stops, cut those to fit the targets, installed and it completely took away the air balls. 8k plays later and they are still perfect, no need to change them, no wear, and zero air balls.
10172659_10203152794317088_3781509660520850593_n.jpg10172659_10203152794317088_3781509660520850593_n.jpg

7 years later
#34 2 years ago

Any answer to the Airballs?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-mongol-target-air-balls-stillpart-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.