2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

newly restored/rebuilt shadow has strange issue, when the credit button is pressed the right flipper is locking on until the game is shut off

#2 2 years ago

If you mean the start button, check the opto for the right flipper.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you mean the start button, check the opto for the right flipper.

The shadow is mine. This has to be some sort of switch matrix issue. When game is powered on everything is fine. If I press the start button the right lower flipper sticks in the up position. Only the lower flipper, not the upper right flipper. I was getting an error to check switch number 11, the gun trigger. If I pull the gun trigger a few times, the lower right flipper will stick up. If I go into menu buttons on the coin door, and hit the enter button, The right lower flipper sticks up. If you shut the game off, flipper returns to resting position.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from epeabs:

The shadow is mine. This has to be some sort of switch matrix issue. When game is powered on everything is fine. If I press the start button the right lower flipper sticks in the up position. Only the lower flipper, not the upper right flipper.

Flipper button opto board for the right side, check the lower opto - lower for lower flippers and upper for upper flippers, lane changes, etc.

Be sure the lower right flipper coil has both diodes, working, and soldered on good.

LTG : )

Quoted from epeabs:

This has to be some sort of switch matrix issue.

Unless something is really messed up, no. Flipper button switches are dedicated switches. Switch matrix is separate and shouldn't be involved.

#5 2 years ago

Tech chart might help you- http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_The_Shadow_Tech_Chart.pdf

I'm thinking the right flipper opto may be blocked or broken? Does the switch test show any anomalies?

Are the flipper boards the same, can you swap L & R to see if the problem moves to the other side?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Flipper button opto board for the right side, check the lower opto - lower for lower flippers and upper for upper flippers, lane changes, etc.
    Be sure the lower right flipper coil has both diodes, working, and soldered on good.

Unless something is really messed up, no. Flipper button switches are dedicated switches. Switch matrix is separate and shouldn't be involved.

Okay. I'll look closer at the bottom opto on the right board. The flipper coil is brand new. I have tested the diodes and they are good, but I will double check that the diodes are soldered in well.

Thank you for the chart. I didn't want to pull the one off of my light board.

#7 2 years ago

It was due to the right flipper opto board. I had to remove the flipper button and sand off a bit of the tip to allow the switch blades to penetrate deeper into the opto. It now works fine. Thank you.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from epeabs:

It was due to the right flipper opto board. I had to remove the flipper button and sand off a bit of the tip to allow the switch blades to penetrate deeper into the opto. It now works fine. Thank you.

There are 2 different lengths of flipper buttons. 1 1/8 and 1 3/8 long. You may have gotten the longer one by mistake as newer games use the 1 1/8 size.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-flipper-sticking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.