Shadow DMD Display Scrambles Then Shuts Down

By Stoonfer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

This just started about a week ago. At first, the DMD would scramble after being on for about an hour. Now, after about 20 minutes the DMD scrambles and ten minutes later just shuts down. For the first 20 minutes it works perfectly.

I'm assuming this is a power supply issue. I plan on buying the HV rebuild kit from GPE unless I hear differently from this group that I'm not on the right track. I searched Pinwiki but couldn't find the solution based on what I was using for search criteria. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

#2 8 years ago

I'm guessing you are going to have to rebuild the display board hv with the kit . I had a similar issue with my roadshow . I think you are on the right track

#3 8 years ago

Thanks. If rebuilding the High Voltage section fixes the DM issue, would a failing HV section also be root cause for the game to shut down?

#4 8 years ago

So the DMD shuts down or the whole game shuts down? It sounds like you may have a DMD that's going bad (out-gassing, I believe is what's happening)...which can put strain on the HV section, leading to the display going out. But if it's shutting the whole game down, that could be another issue as well. I'd definitely take a close look at the HV section, may have a blown diode or transistor or something...sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Stoonfer:

Now, after about 20 minutes the DMD scrambles and ten minutes later just shuts down.>

What shuts down? the DMD or the whole machine? I think you mean the DMD.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards

Section 4.3.2 is the start of the best information for testing voltages on the driver board.
So you need to measure the voltages as it is the starting point to know where to look.

If these voltages are ok, then can move onto measuring the HV.

#7 8 years ago

Edited..removed post.

#8 8 years ago

Sorry, I should have been more clear. After 20 minutes the DMD starts to scramble, then about 10-15 after that, the entire game just shuts down. If I leave it alone for 10 minutes it will reboot back up, but the DMD will e scrambled. It needs to be left off for about an hour before all looks good again...until 20 minutes is up and then it starts all over again

#9 8 years ago

You still need to start with checking voltages on the driver board.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards

Section 4.3.2 is the start of the best information for testing voltages on the driver board.
So you need to measure the voltages as it is the starting point to know where to look.

Remove the J101 connector as well and looks to see if there is any discoloring on the white connector housing, especially where the 2 red wires go into the connector.

#10 8 years ago

unplug the DMD and let it sit blind or play a few games blind and see if game shuts down, if it does it might be driver board issues

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

Any luck?

2 weeks later
#12 8 years ago

Any luck?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-dmd-display-scrambles-then-shuts-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.