Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Problem: once the ball is up on the battlefield the kicker will fire once every time you try to scroll left or right as if the opto beam has been broken. It always only fires once then keeps scrolling if you keep the flipper button down.

I've looked for shorts under the battlefield and not seeing anything. Also the opto works fine when the beam is broken by the ball and if you manually trigger it and hold your hand there it will fire repeatedly as it should until the beam is not blocked.

I'm a little baffled.. What us causing it to kick and why just once? Is this a setting that can be turned on or off?

#2 8 years ago

Odd.
Put the game in switch edge test.
Break the beam of the opto so you know which switch it is.
Now push the flipper button.
Does the opto switch change state?
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago

I'll check that tomorrow with the switches.. I think I had determined that it only happens when the battlefield mode is engaged through the flippers during play but I could be wrong. Regarding LED's... I did install them but am not positive if this was a problem prior to that or not.. could they cause something like that?

#5 8 years ago

Ok.. switch edge test shows that everything is working correctly, no overlap across any switches for the flippers or miniPF opto. MiniPF test works correctly, just slides the motor back and forth without firing the kicker. It's something with the flipper buttons and their control once the ball pops up on the battlefield and the computer starts controlling the left/right motion of the kicker via the flipper buttons. I messed around with it for a while and very rarely I WAS getting a left scroll w/out the kicker firing if I jammed the button in fast.. and I think a couple right scrolls as well. I think I will try swapping out the flipper optos with WCS and see if that changes anything... I already tried cleaning off the optos.

Any other suggestions welcome

#6 8 years ago

I don't think that will help anything but give it a go.
The MPU fires the kicker coil in response to the beam being broken (long hop opto) on the mini-PF, while the ball is on the mini-PF. It knows it's on the mini-PF because it knows that the VUK just put it there, and it will think the ball is there until a non-mini-PF switch is closed.

What this means is that the long hop opto is reporting a switch closure when the ball is served to the mini-PF.
Does the kicker fire if you never touch the flipper butons?
--

#7 8 years ago

Yeah.. it seems like that opto is reporting the switch closure upon pressing the flipper button, but here's the thing -- holding down the flipper button only fires the kicker once (right when you initially depress it) whereas if you break the beam (with your finger for example) and keep it broken the kicker will repeatedly fire until the beam is restored.

#8 8 years ago

I had a similar issue. It turns out that hitting the flippers gave the pin just enough shake to make my dry solder on opts trigger. I reflowed solder to my opto contacts at wires and that solved the issue. I will try to send a pic later tonight when I get back home.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

I had a similar issue. It turns out that hitting the flippers gave the pin just enough shake to make my dry solder on opts trigger. I reflowed solder to my opto contacts at wires and that solved the issue. I will try to send a pic later tonight when I get back home.

Sweet! I had been thinking that the motor movement was somehow triggering it via vibration but was thinking it had something to do with the beam itself, not the solder. That actually makes a lot of sense as the opto just stopped triggering via the beam being cut by the ball during play 5/6 of the time now.. although the motor was continuing to trigger the kicker. I was going to switch out the optos.. just hadn't gotten around to it. This makes me confident that it's most likely a solder problem.. easy to fix Thanks fliperz!!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

Nice - I've got a variation on this theme going on. Flippers trigger target hits on the mini-playfield sometimes. Bet it's something similar. I never bothered trying to fix mine since I was always like "Yeah! Bonus hits!"

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Flippers trigger target hits on the mini-playfield sometimes

That could be a switch adjustment issue as well -- if you have not already Checked that. Contacts on blades super close together making connections from enough vibration

#12 8 years ago

Did you get a chance to check those solder points, hope that helped bro

#13 8 years ago

I took a look at it and they actually looked strong but I'm going to resolder when I get back home.. I was headed out the door on vacation so I didn't have time. Hopefully this Sunday.

#14 8 years ago

Also the motor can draw quite a bit of juice on start up. If power is low, perhaps the opto power gets interrupted due to this which would register a switch hit. On my shadow, the lights dim sometimes when moving the motor.

#15 8 years ago

...and this is a long shot but, Shadow uses a "long hop opto board" for the mini-PF. It'll be screwed to the bottom of the large PF. It has an inductor on it that is about 1/2" high and 3/8" diameter. The vibrate themselves off the board, fracturing the legs right off. Check to see that yours is not in the process of doing this, perhaps with one leg being momentary. Long shot.
--

#16 8 years ago

Thanks guys! Here's the update:

I was getting even more erratic behavior with the kicker firing only sometimes.. so I got out the soldering iron this morning and started taking a look. I finally realized one of the wires had broken loose on the kicker so I resoldered that and reflowed the other lug but that didn't fix the problem. So here's what I did so so far without fixing the issue:

I reflowed solder to both optos.
Rechecked connections on the long-hop board, took it off then and reflowed the opto headers and cleaned up the dust on the backside. (all the connections looked good on the components)
Switched out the optos on both sides with a used spares I had.
Did switch tests trying to wiggle the hell out of the miniPF, opto connections/wiring, motor.. trying to mimick any vibration the motor would cause.

So.... I've been wondering about the voltage dropping when the motor starts as well since it triggers the opto every time, but only once.. as if the +12 voltage drops out momentarily when there's the inrush of current to the motor. This seems to make the most sense right now. But how do I get the voltage back up if that's the case? I'm going to check the +12v and see where it's at. I wonder if my motor is just starting to go out and maybe drawing too much current? Anyone found low voltage on the 12v and corrected it successfully? What should the optos measure closed and open? Can someone check there's for me?

#17 8 years ago

*my regulated +12v on the power board is at 12.14v and remains there even when the kicker fires.
*at the opto right/left side I've got around 11.7v, which does drop when the motor runs to around 10.4v or so.. hard to tell without an oscope. Is this normal behavior and if not.. any ideas to correct it?

#18 8 years ago

Yea your voltage is too low on the unregulated in my opinion. It usually hovers around 14v. It should run higher than 11 and never drop to the 10's. You may need to replace the bridge and cap on that circuit and reflow / jump the traces. Do you have a color DMD? That pulled too much for my shadow and I had to install a separate power supply.

#19 8 years ago

Hmm ok well I guess I've got more work on my hands I did install the colordmd but had the issue prior to that. May disconnect it and see how voltage changes. What happened to yours that caused you to install another supply? Was the colordmd not even powering up?

#20 8 years ago

The 12v fuse f116 would blow every so often after installing color DMD. I could have put in a 4 amp instead of a 3 amp fuse but I had power supply laying around so I hooked that up instead.

4 weeks later
#21 8 years ago

Update on this..

I swapped my highpower boards from WCS94 & Shadow to see if anything would change. Nothing. Checked the lop-hop opto board again and reflowed solder on the receiver / transmitter pins. Nothing. At some point someone installed new wires to the transmittor side, using a jacketed 3-wire (1 bare). I thought maybe there was a break and something was shorting inside, so I removed part of the jacket and pulled out the bare wire. Nothing.

I've also tried slapping and slamming the hell out of the cab during switch test to see if anything is possibly loose and making intermittent connections. Nope.. opto switch only activates in switch test by blocking the beam.

I ordered a high power rebuild yet which I will install when it gets here... but I don't have a lot of hope there. Pretty much getting stumped here. I can't make the connection between the opto triggering and the flipper buttons being pressed, other than they both have a connection back to the 12v line somewhere.

#22 8 years ago

Well, your voltage before the power board swap was around 10.4v as you said, which is too low. What is it with the WCS board? If it's still 10.4v then its still too low board swap or no.

#23 8 years ago

I took a look at that -- voltage is still fine until you activate the motor, then it has a drop to low 11's. I rebuilt the power board today -- replaced all the cap's and bridges with new. No change. Still has the same issue with voltage dropping. So I'm down to my last 2 ideas -- something is screwy on the motor board itself or the motor is going bad.

Markmon -- any chance you could measure the resistance across the terminals of your motor? I'm at 4.2ohm or so.. seems like that's ok?

I wired in a 15k uf cap to shunt the +12v that comes to the motor controller board to see if I could hold it up when the motor activates. No luck there.. still firing off the kicker. Sigh... what a pita!

#24 8 years ago

**update**

I realized I could let the machine boot up, then lift the PF and pull the cable to the motor and replace it with a 4ohm resistor (the upper PF won't work unless there's a load sensed on the wires out to the motor). Even without the motor connected it was triggering the kicker. Going to try a 10ohm resistor just to doublecheck, but it looks like there's an issue on the motor controller board.. something shorted perhaps? Hopefully I'm getting closer...

#25 8 years ago

Bump for help -- Anyone able to measure the resistance across the terminals of the DC motor that moves the kicker back and forth? Thanks

5 months later
#26 8 years ago

7 months going and no solution although I've found someone with the same issue...

I installed a brand new motor and if anything it made the issue worse I think even the divertors were triggering the paddle to fire in battlefield mode last time I played.. So odd.

#27 8 years ago

I missed that this thread was still going. Trying to think what I might do if it were me. I would probably try to isolate the problem further. I might be trying is wiring the motor power to the upper playfield motor directly to a separate 12v power supply that is not the same 12v that runs the rest of the system runs on. If this solves the problem, you know that the motor draw is the cause and you can either leave the power supply in as a "fix" or at least you know the cause of the problem. I know many motors have startup capacitors for this reason.

#28 8 years ago

Yeah Markmon, I have been actually thinking the same thing but have yet to implement.. partially as I do not have a power supply. Other thing.. it was just turned on this evening in attract and all of a sudden the display went out and then it started autoplunging balls over and over again. pretty sure the 12v fuse is blown, but what caused this? I was sitting a good 5 or 10 minutes before it happened. It makes me even more suspect of the 12v supply line.. don't know where to go from there having swapped in a good board previously with no results, and also replacing all the bridges and caps.

Man I'd love to solve this issue though! one day,... one day!

10 months later
#29 7 years ago

Wow, I see I've had this problem for over a year lol -- spent a lot of money trying to solve it. Yesterday I finally fixed it -- cannot believe it. The battlefield is so much more fun with it working correctly!

For the record -

I bought a new long hop opto made by homepin. This didn't turn out to be the issue, but helps diagnose opto issues because of the leds on it indicating a good 12v present, and the green led indicating the optos are functioning and emitting/receiving the ir beam correctly.

With that installed, I ended up changing out the whole transmitter cable between the opto and long hop board, and also the receiver opto itself. I don't know if it was a combination of two problems but it seems like it might have been. At any rate, it's functioning 100% now. Good luck to anyone with similar issues, what a pita!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shadow-battlefield-kicker-firing-once-every-time-flipper-button-press and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.