(Topic ID: 211114)

Shadow Battlefield breaks often. Tips on keeping its wiring on?

By Natetheviking

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by waltrr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So, we've got a Shadow and the Battlefield breaks down quite a bit more than I feel like it should. It's generally breaking one of the wires to the solenoid that runs the beater.

This is an on location game in a restaurant so it does get played probably up to ten times a day but this has been an ongoing issue. The Battlefield on this particular Shadow does feature a bit of hack work but we ran new, longer wires to the solenoid but they keep breaking off. I know that the very nature of this device is rather movement heavy with rather violent movements so I understand this is just going to happen. I figured it's happened here so much that several of you have dealt with the problem before. It's not a huge deal to solder it back into place but it would be cooler to do it less often.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Natetheviking:

but we ran new, longer wires to the solenoid but they keep breaking off.

Not all wire is the same quality. You need a wire that is the same gauge but has many more finer strands. Test leads for high quality test equipment are made like this to last forever without breaking. High quality stereo speaker wire is made like this too.

#3 1 year ago

I went with slot car guide flag wire. It's silicone coated and takes some serious abuse on our open cars. I've never had another problem after I've switched. Also, when you solder the wires, make sure no solder flows up the coating, that's where it will break. Quick, hot heat works for me. You can find the wire here on my old friend Pauls web site. Try it, you'll like it.
alphaslotracing.com/shop/20-gauge-silicon-lead-wire-10ft.html

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside