Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180402_181846 (resized).jpg
20180402_181740 (resized).jpg
20180402_180545 (resized).jpg
20180402_180518 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

So... I'm a total noob at pinball repair and I'm trying to learn and get better so please bare with me. I'm trying to troubleshoot/fix a problem with my machine; Yesterday, when I was playing my street fighter 2 pinball machine the bottom left upkicker stopped working and then shortly after that started smoking. I turned off my machine and felt the coil and metal area of the upkicker and it was extremely hot / burning to the touch. I ordered a new coil that I plan on replacing when it comes in. However, I'm not sure if there is another problem that may have caused the coil to fail. Some quick searching pointed me towards bad transistors sometimes causing this type of problem (maybe)?

In case I didn't already mention it - I'm a total noob at this . If it is a transistor problem is there an easy way to figure out which transistor I need to check or can anyone possible help me make sense of how I would figure this out on my own with the manual schematics? I've done a decent amount of solder work in the past and I have a multimeter and capacitance meter but I haven't ever tested or replaced a transistor in the past so very basic info on this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Hvy

#2 5 years ago

The coils on System 3's are all fused individually, so it's actually really hard to cause one to smoke unless the incorrect fuse was being used. So check the schematics to figure out which fuse goes with the burnt coil and replace it before you replace the coil.

It's not uncommon for transistors to blow though and lock the coils on. You can check the transistor using "diode" mode on your meter, using the neighboring transistors as a reference for what "good" is (again, the schematics will tell you which transistor to look at). Although based on what you've said, chances are the transistor (FET) needs to be replaced.

#3 5 years ago

Roger - thanks for the info and for the tip about the fuse. I'll take a peak tonight and see if I can figure it out.

#4 5 years ago

Your manual should have a list of solenoids and their associated driver transistor.

One reason to avoid Gottlieb machines is the documentation isn't available for free so when you need help it's not as easy to get it.

#5 5 years ago

Hi Guys - So I read through the manual and I think if I am reading it correctly it shows the bottom left upkicker is solenod 3 (Q4) - A-26450 on the driver board. I went to the driver board and from what I can tell this looks to be in the bottom left of the driver board. I opened the lightboard section and took a few pictures of this section (along with the relevant manual pages). Can someone spot check me and let me know if I am on the right track here by chance (pictures attached)? I really appreciate all the help thus far. From the pictures to me at least it looks like Q4's soldering is a bit discolored (Maybe evidence of burning)? Also it looks to me like R64 has some burn marks. So Being a total noob with my multimeter I'm a bit unsure how to measure these two things and compare to the others. Do I need to remove the full board first and measure from the back side or can I just measure from the front? Do I have to desolder to measure properly? In terms of measurement itself any more specific instructions would help me immensely.

20180402_180518 (resized).jpg20180402_180518 (resized).jpg

20180402_180545 (resized).jpg20180402_180545 (resized).jpg

20180402_181740 (resized).jpg20180402_181740 (resized).jpg

20180402_181846 (resized).jpg20180402_181846 (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

4, 12, and 13 look to have been replaced? Or just dust-free?! But if replaced, maybe check the solder job.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sf2-pinball-white-smoke-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.