IMG_20160810_153753_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160810_153655_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160715_121129_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160715_115221_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160623_113239_(resized).jpg
FHplunger_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160728_122010_BURST005_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi there. I'm not sure if i'm posting on the right sub-forum, it's my first time here and please pardon my english, i'm not a native speaker.

With a friend, we decided to restore an old Funhouse which was sitting in a garage since 2009, so yeah..not very kind storage conditions and it apparently got repaired at some point by some drunk guy with a hammer, due to the condition of some parts..

So, my first question is related with the power driver board, I noticed that in attract mode the LED3 (Low/high voltage sensor) is flickering and 2 mins after being turned on, the machine resets.
When I went to the Lamps + Flashers Test I noticed that the LED was coming up everytime the lamps flashed.

My guess is that something is wrong with the lamp circuit? The lights seems to dim like there's a massive voltage drop and it resets only when the playfield lights are on.

Second question is related to Rudy...

Yeah, you guessed it, his eyes don't close! Apparently there's a white plastic tab that is pulled by a coil in the back of Rudy's head, but that coil doesn't seem to work, I haven't taken Rudy appart for now, but is it really the coil that's bad?

IMG_20160728_122010_BURST005_(resized).jpgIMG_20160728_122010_BURST005_(resized).jpg
Here's the infamous LED.

#2 7 years ago

Rudy might have problems with eye closing because (descending from most to less likelly):

- broken plunger (pictured below)
- loose wire to the coil which closes the eyelids
- bad coil which activates eyelids
- bad Q22 transistor on the driver board

FHplunger_(resized).jpgFHplunger_(resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Rudy might have problems with eye closing because (descending from most to less likelly):

Swap the coil and transistor. Usually the cause of a bad coil is a transistor getting locked.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

That's not typically the problem piece, the piece on the left in the link is what makes the eyes go up and down. In addition, the eyes won't work right if the centering flange is missing, also contained in the pinbits kit.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_3&products_id=401

#5 7 years ago

I'm gonna tear Rudy appart, to see if every part of it is still good.

Tested again the lamps circuit and still got problems with it. Gah. I'm banging my head to search what's happening, because the game wouldn't do this after we repaired the PDB.

#6 7 years ago

Your lamp problem and resets could be a problem in the 18v circuit. Check out all the voltages on the PDB when in attract mode then again when in lamp test (specifically the 5v, 12v, and 18v).
I just repaired a FH with the identical same problems. The problem with Rudy was a broken link/plunger and the reset was a faulty cap on the 18v circuit. The 18v was around 14 when tested and found a bulging cap which turned out to be the issue. The low voltage caused the lamps to be very dim.

Do the proper testing to find what's causing the issue before shot gunning things. The less parts you need to change the better off you will be ?

#7 7 years ago

Not ? Meant

#8 7 years ago

Also there is some very good info on pinwiki.com to address resets and how to test for them

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Forzenny:

So, my first question is related with the power driver board, I noticed that in attract mode the LED3 (Low/high voltage sensor) is flickering and 2 mins after being turned on, the machine resets.
When I went to the Lamps + Flashers Test I noticed that the LED was coming up everytime the lamps flashed.

The lamps could be the cause of the resets or the load they are creating is causing another problem to show up (like with resets when you hit both flippers at the same time). Before you spend much time on them I would remove the fuses for the lamps and see if the game still resets after a couple of minutes.

Also led 2 and 3 on at the same time indicates low line voltage. Have you checked the outlet?

#10 7 years ago

Hi, Pinwiz_pa and terryb, I'm gonna check tomorrow voltages on the +18v circuit. But I have a question about this, to measure voltages on the test points, can you use the ground strap going around the backbox and touch the TP with the multimeter? I saw that it was an easy solution, as you don't have to use the ground point on the board itself.

I looked at the caps closely and they don't seem bulged..What is the fuse for the lamps?

Actually, retested today after a good cleanup, game restarted as usual after two minutes (Exactly two minutes!) but didn't restarted after and played fine. I'm guessing the outlet is kinda...weird too.

EDIT: When LED2 is turned on but LED3 is off, that means that I don't have enough voltage from the grid, right?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Forzenny:

EDIT: When LED2 is turned on but LED3 is off, that means that I don't have enough voltage from the grid, right?

Led 2 is normally on. When led 3 is also on that indicates low line voltage. According to the following info it is normal for led 3 to flash with the lamps.

https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems-2/wpc-leds-explained/

#12 7 years ago

Okay just a quick update while i'm in front of the machine:

Quoted from terryb:

Led 2 is normally on. When led 3 is also on that indicates low line voltage. According to the following info it is normal for led 3 to flash with the lamps.
https://www.pinball.co.uk/pinball-problems-2/wpc-leds-explained/

Yep, LED3 flashes in rythm with the lamps. I noticed that the flashers of the backglass makes other lights dim when they blink (Well, when it blinks, because I only have one flasher replaced)

The line voltage was 232v, so i'm guessing that's not the problem, it's been turned on and running the attract mode for about half an hour now, and still no resets, i'm thinking about voltages drop from the grid at some hours.

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

Alright guess what! Another one of these beauties is saved!

The wire that connects to Rudy's eye-closing-coil-mechanism-thingy was just...not soldered properly. Ah.
Did the first post-repair play yesterday and everything is working just fine (Went over 41 million, the poor Rudy screamed a lot!). The resets came from EDF that had current drops. That game is almost shining like it just been unboxed..

I'd like to thank all of you for helping with the repairs, we would be still testing every component of the machine otherwise

#14 7 years ago

Congratulations! Do you have any before/after photos of the game?

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Congratulations! Do you have any before/after photos of the game?

Yes! I will take some photos of the "after" and find the "before" shots that are somewhere in my phone and upload them as soon as I get back home!

#16 7 years ago

Here they are, all of the Before/After shots of my Funhouse I could find on my phone! (Couldn't edit the last post, the edit window expired)

It is not really visible on the before shots, but the playfield was veeeery dirty, rudy's face on it was not white anymore, it was dark-grey. Almost all of the bulbs blew, the three flasher domes behind Rudy's head were all cracked, every rubber was dry as a bone and snapped if you pulled them. As for Rudy... the eyes were always closed and his jaw was always closed too, in short, you couldn't just step to it and press start, it was unplayable.

BEFORE:

IMG_20160623_113239_(resized).jpgIMG_20160623_113239_(resized).jpg

Quick shot of the playfield before the first repairs, almost every bulb you see lit there blew due to old age. Rudy had his eyes and mouth stuck closed.

IMG_20160715_115221_(resized).jpgIMG_20160715_115221_(resized).jpg

The display had a nasty burn.

IMG_20160715_121129_(resized).jpgIMG_20160715_121129_(resized).jpg

Before cleaning the playfield with Novus cleaner, most of the crud you see here was actually stuck on the playfield, we had to scrub it quite hard (But also gently to not damage it )

AFTER:

IMG_20160810_153655_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_153655_(resized).jpg

During the gameplay, that clock ticks again with those new lamps! (And they are quite bright too, it brings a nice contrast to it)

IMG_20160810_153753_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_153753_(resized).jpg

Rudy is looking at you..

IMG_20160810_154119_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_154119_(resized).jpg

New flasher domes and flashers, those flashers are really really bright, almost blinding!

IMG_20160810_154301_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_154301_(resized).jpg

New rubber bands everywhere.

IMG_20160810_154309_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_154309_(resized).jpg

Shh..he's asleep.

IMG_20160810_154104_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_154104_(resized).jpg

Another gameplay shot in the dark, it looks gorgeous when lit like a christmas tree!

IMG_20160810_153708_(resized).jpgIMG_20160810_153708_(resized).jpg

Backglass is now lit nicely and has a new display! It may not appear here, but we put extra-bright bulbs under the 'Funhouse' logo

#17 7 years ago

Enjoy, amazing game. I saved mine by fitting a MPU Board and fixing a plunger on Rudy too. Fitted new bulb connectors and LED'd the playfield, didn't LED the flashers though. Seemed strong enough. Since then I noticed the flippers were a bit weak. So a friend rebuilt them and machine is now a solid little player. What a difference the flippers made.

Forgot one other thing replaced a loose target next to the mirror

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Enjoy, amazing game. I saved mine by fitting a MPU Board and fixing a plunger on Rudy too. Fitted new bulb connectors and LED'd the playfield, didn't LED the flashers though. Seemed strong enough. Since then I noticed the flippers were a bit weak. So a friend rebuilt them and machine is now a solid little player. What a difference the flippers made.
Forgot one other thing replaced a loose target next to the mirror

Oh it's gonna be enjoyable for sure! Very nice machine! It must render nicely with LEDs!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 29.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/several-questions-about-my-funhouse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.