Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a question about nudging/tilting.

I have a MMR, with the front and rear levellers all the way in, not extended out at all, and the machine sits firm on the laminate floor with rubber feet.

My other pin is a TZ, and in order to get 6.5 degrees, the rear levellers are extended almost all the way up, and the front are all the way down flat.

When I nudge MMR, it seems like I really have to push hard to get it to move. When I nudge TZ, it wobbles (likely due to the rear levellers being extended so much) and although the machine rocks, I think there may be a lack of firm resistance that doesn't do much in the way of redirecting the ball.

So my question is... How do you set up a machine so that it nudges nicely. Do most of you extend the front and rear levellers a little to give the machine a slight wobble? I can't do much with TZ until I get longer legs, but I figure I could raise both the front and rear levellers on MMR, and maybe loosen it up a bit so it isn't so stubborn.

Thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

Loosening up the front legs a bit will make it easier to nudge. This works but you have to use caution or the legs can dig into the cab.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Loosening up the front legs a bit will make it easier to nudge. This works but you have to use caution or the legs can dig into the cab.

WHAT!!!
Good god no!
Why F up the cabinet to nudge you're game?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

WHAT!!!
Good god no!

This didn't sound like a good idea to me either. I've read that some loosen the nut on the bottom of the leg, and other add the plastic slide or footies under them as well. You may want to research that a bit

#5 7 years ago

yeah jesus, just put furniture sliders on the levelers

#6 7 years ago

Lots of variables here, flooring, levelers, etc. I would just make sure the incline is set to where you want, and the levelers are solid. I think the last thing you'd want to do is give the machine that is set up all weird some crazy slide save and have something very expensive happen. Watch videos and learn technique that would transfer to all kinds of set ups unless you want to only be able to move machines on sliders

#7 7 years ago

I set my tilts tight and make my drinks strong. All set up for some proper nudging.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from RVH:

WHAT!!!
Good god no!

I think what the poster meant, was that is you raise the leveller in the front (so they are not at the lowest point) it will allow the machine to shift a bit, allowing for a better nudge.

If the game is right down to the bottom and tight, would it not make it very difficult to move a bit for a nudge???

#9 7 years ago

It shouldn't nudge easily

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

It shouldn't nudge easily

Agreed. It definitely should not rock like a boat!

Having the levellers on my TZ cranked all the way up definitely make it feel like that though!

#11 7 years ago

Loosening the nuts on the bottoms of the legs (if they're tight, and you have them at all) will make it wiggle more. Try putting an inch on all four legs. Putting some leg protectors on can help too. Part of it may just come down to age though. Your TZ's cab probably isn't quite as solid as an MMR unless it's in excellent shape.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Loosening the nuts on the bottoms of the legs (if they're tight, and you have them at all) will make it wiggle more. Try putting an inch on all four legs. Putting some leg protectors on can help too. Part of it may just come down to age though. Your TZ's cab probably isn't quite as solid as an MMR unless it's in excellent shape.

If I put all 4 levellers at 1", the slant would probably be at 5 degrees.

I have the front at the neutral, and the back cranked all the way up so that the shaft it literally flush with the top of the leg hole, and I'm just hitting 6.5 degrees!

Not sure what I can do...

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

If I put all 4 levellers at 1", the slant would probably be at 5 degrees.
I have the front at the neutral, and the back cranked all the way up so that the shaft it literally flush with the top of the leg hole, and I'm just hitting 6.5 degrees!
Not sure what I can do...

I thought you wanted to make MMR nudge more? And MMR is all the way down?

When I said "at 1 inch" I was assuming they're all at 0, what I meant was add an inch to everything, I guess. Higher = more nudgeable

#14 7 years ago

Set your tilt tight and put sliders under if you want to make it move easier. That way you don't get away with sliding the machine access the floor 6 inches to save a sdtm ball(my friend does that so I had to tighten the tilt I up to keep him at bay.)Just don't forget you want to get better and play in a tournament most rules forbid slideng more than an inch.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I thought you wanted to make MMR nudge more? And MMR is all the way down?
When I said "at 1 inch" I was assuming they're all at 0, what I meant was add an inch to everything, I guess. Higher = more nudgeable

Yes, MMR is at zero all around. I'll try putting all legs up a bit to see how that feels.

Still scratching my head trying to figure out what to do with TZ though

#16 7 years ago

Remove the tilt bob and use those hips and arms.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Set your tilt tight and put sliders under if you want to make it move easier. That way you don't get away with sliding the machine access the floor 6 inches to save a sdtm ball(my friend does that so I had to tighten the tilt I up to keep him at bay.)Just don't forget you want to get better and play in a tournament most rules forbid slideng more than an inch.

I have my tilt pretty low on MMR, so I can give it a decent nudge. I have the game on rubbers foot covers now, so it doesn't slide much.

I thought sliding it on the floor wasn't good. Felt like it didn't do much for redirecting the ball.

#18 7 years ago

OP asked how to make it easy to nudge, loosening the leg bolt is an easy way to do that. Not saying I do it, but can be done without damaging the cab. My pins are on carpet, so I do have sliders under some of the front legs. That works fine for me.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

OP asked how to make it easy to nudge, loosening the leg bolt is an easy way to do that. Not saying I do it, but can be done without damaging the cab. My pins are on carpet, so I do have sliders under some of the front legs. That works fine for me.

Just a little correction... Not looking to make nudging easy, I'm just trying to make it efficient.

I just played a game of MMR with all leg levellers at zero, and a slant of 6.5 degrees, and the nudge was pretty good.

Wonder if I raise the levellers on all legs by 1 degree, and tighten up the bolts, would the nudging be different or the same?

Any thoughts before I go under this machine and give myself back pain!

#20 7 years ago

Still wondering how you are getting 6.5 on mmr without the back levelers out at least a inch? If i had any of my wpc95 pins with the levelers flat , they wld only be 5-5.5 degrees which is a float fest. How are you determining the angle and where are you measuring it at? . Also do your leg levelers on tz have a lock nut ? They are there to make the levelers tight and stable when up high.....

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Still wondering how you are getting 6.5 on mmr without the back levelers out at least a inch? If i had any of my wpc95 pins with the levelers flat , they wld only be 5-5.5 degrees which is a float fest. How are you determining the angle and where are you measuring it at? . Also do your leg levelers on tz have a lock nut ? They are there to make the levelers tight and stable when up high.....

It appears my floor slopes going towards the walls. My digital level shows a change of 1 degree around the back legs, but still, you'd think they would need to be raised a bit.

I've checked the slant with my phone app, digital level, and the bubble level in the machine.

Do you happen to know, if you had MMR on a perfectly flat surface, with all leg levellers at zero, do you think it would be at or around 6.5?

#22 7 years ago

How about putting these on your TZ back legs:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564

https://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AC-PF-OAK

By the way, I have the same 2 machine collection!

#23 7 years ago

My DM is tough to nudge because it weighs a ton. I just hit it harder than I do the Sterns.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Do you happen to know, if you had MMR on a perfectly flat surface, with all leg levellers at zero, do you think it would be at or around 6.5?

Yes, I have the levelers screwed all the way into the legs and my machine was pretty close to 6.5.

I don't think you have anything defective. You just need to MacGyver your way through your specific situation, which seems to involve a floor that is not level.

#25 7 years ago

Nudging.........hem??? I set my tilt faubs so tight the machine TILTS when you blow on it!!! haha....Creech is funny...."watch it buddy...then YOUR NO Gentleman!......

#26 7 years ago

I have the rubber feet all around. Doesn't change much for height. But it does keep the it from sliding on the laminate flooring!

By the way, you have great taste in pinball machines

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I have the rubber feet all around. Doesn't change much for height. But it does keep the it from sliding on the laminate flooring!
By the way, you have great taste in pinball machines

I meant to add these just to the back legs or wherever your floor is lower.

Heck, just throw a 2x4 under the back legs.

#28 7 years ago

Was reading a post today, and saw countless comments about using teflon sliders and other things to make it easy for the machines to move around the floor.

I guess the logic is, you're less likely to damage your cab while nudging if the machine moves a bit. But do you not want resistance to be able to nudge effectively?

Right now I have my Twilight Zone on rubber feet, and it doesn't move a great deal while I'm nudging. But when I take the rubbers off, the machine is all over the floor, especially when I'm nudging side to side.

Any thoughts on this?

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Was reading a post today, and saw countless comments about using teflon sliders and other things to make it easy for the machines to move around the floor.
I guess the logic is, you're less likely to damage your cab while nudging if the machine moves a bit. But do you not want resistance to be able to nudge effectively?
Right now I have my Twilight Zone on rubber feet, and it doesn't move a great deal while I'm nudging. But when I take the rubbers off, the machine is all over the floor, especially when I'm nudging side to side.
Any thoughts on this?

It makes it easier to nudge because there is alot less resistance. It also can be too easy to nudge if you have your tilt set loose since you can slide the machine a few inches without tilting.

For example, if the ball is going sdtm, all you need to do is slide the machine 2 inches either way and save the ball. Therefore it's a lot easy to save the ball on sliders

#30 7 years ago

I think you may have the wrong mental model about nudging. You are not nudging to push the ball. You are nudging to move the playfield underneath the ball.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I think you may have the wrong mental model about nudging. You are not nudging to push the ball. You are nudging to move the playfield underneath the ball.

Exactly. That's a good way to put it. And that's why the sliders will make it easier.

#32 7 years ago

TZ and MM definitely have a different feel when nudging.

TZ is heavier and bigger. Widebodies just nudge differently, they are more floaty in general.

#33 7 years ago

Do most of you guys keep the tilt bob in if you're planning to nudge the machine?

I took mine off, but decided to put it back on TZ yesterday, and the lowest setting, and I was getting tilt warnings like crazy.

I think I definitely am not being gentle with the game!

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Do most of you guys keep the tilt bob in if you're planning to nudge the machine?
I took mine off, but decided to put it back on TZ yesterday, and the lowest setting, and I was getting tilt warnings like crazy.

I feel that nudging, tilt, tilt warnings, etc are an essential part of the game and that removing the tilt bob is cheating.

I liked this video about it, and it has a nice, easy, reversible midification if you're getting phantom tilts: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-tilt-new-pinball-film

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Without the tilt bob you aren't nudging it, you're moving/sliding/shaking it (or will be). Which is fine but that isn't what nudging is aboot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

9,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Toronto, ON
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-your-pin-up-for-nudging?hl=insideoutlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.