5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Grauwulf
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grauwulf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Well I thought I would post this after my experience setting up the Nucore setup for my RFM. I was going to post this to Nucore bulletin board, but I can't get access to it, so I will post it here.

A little background, I purchased my RFM from one a container deal and it works 100% with the factory computer, but when it was announced that Nucore was being discontinued I decided I should probably grab it up. I liked the idea of the configuration for ignoring LED's in the self test, using modern non-proprietary hardware and the jukebox function.

Fast forward to last week, I finally decided to put all the pieces together and set my system up and test everything. Set the computer up on the bench and installed Ubuntu 8.04LTS and finally managed to get my network adapter to work in Ubuntu and then discovered that 8.04LTS has reached End Of Life as of May 9,2013 and now the standard repositories no longer exist. This leaves you with a bit of a dilemma if you need to re-do your Nucore setup, or like me, you have had your Nucore sitting on a shelf waiting until you get around to setting it up.

However there is a workaround. Unfortunately I don't know how long this workaround will work, so I would highly recommend if you haven't set up your Nucore up yet, do it now.

What you will need to do is follow the instructions on the following website to update your sources.list file to include a new repository that has the files for the obsolete Ubuntu versions.

http://superuser.com/questions/339537/where-can-i-get-therepositories-for-old-ubuntu-versions

If you don't have all the files downloaded that you need, you may have to dig around, the nucore.tar.tar file is no longer available at the link posted. I thankfully already had it downloaded, but there may be a workaround. This is something that is a subject for someone smarter than I.

Hopefully this helps some people out. My recommendation is that if you haven't set your system up yet, do it as soon as possible. If you do have yours set up and working, back it up!

#5 5 years ago

They aren't selling the software any more, the problem here isn't support for Nucore itself, but support for the operating system it runs on. Versions of Ubuntu only have a finite amount of time that they are supported by the community and unfortunately Nucore only runs on 8.04LTS.

Until such time that Nucore can be made to run on later versions of Ubuntu, this is what we are stuck with. It would be nice to think that the Nucore developers are still working on Nucore and at some point we will see a release that will run on newer versions of Ubuntu, but until such time that they are able to sell Nucore again I seriously doubt we will see any more updates.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You can mod 12.04 to run Nucore without touching Nucore code easily.

Well this is certainly good to know, but for those of us who aren't programmers and are only good at following directions, if someone were to write a guide, that would be awesome.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It's more than a guide. It would be a custom build of the OS then packaged. Not really something to be done in a walk through.

Fair enough. It is good to know that there is that option if needed though, I appreciate the info.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Are the guys that sold nucore still supporting it? As a nucore owner, do you have a support venue or has the product been end-of-life'd? It would kind of stink to ditch the original hardware to move to a software solution only to be orphaned again.

As far as I'm aware, Nucore is still being supported by the devs, but is no longer being further developed or updated, presumably because of legal/licensing issues.

I'm sure if I am mistaken about this, someone will jump in and correct me.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from telmnstr:

How does it work? Is it just the original software running in an emulator or something?
The original software runs from a rom card as I recall, but that isn't that strange. Cisco PIX firewalls and other earlier appliances did the same. Is the ISA slot and IO board the only difficulty in using the original code on a different computer?

I honestly don't know the details of how it all works. I would imagine that you are probably correct in your guess of an emulator or something similar. The original Pin2K code was written for a very specific set of hardware that is well past being out of production.

#20 5 years ago

It's not the distro, it's the downloads and updates that you need, some of which will be specific to your hardware setup.

5 months later
#41 5 years ago

Sure you can drive copy it over from the larger to smaller drive provided your 80gig drive isn't more than 60gigs full. Norton Ghost works well for that. As for you reinstalling Ubuntu and Nucore, if you follow the instructions in my original post, you should be okay.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grauwulf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside