Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up three outlets in my unfinished basement for my pinball machines. The pinball machines and a 42" TV will be the only items needing power down there. I was thinking of running 3 20 amp circuits and 3 20 amp outlets. I would run my pin collection on one outlet (I have 4 pins running at once sometimes), the TV on another(TV is way on the other side of the basement), and use the third for future pins.

Is that a good plan? I am currently running everything off one outlet that is currently in the basement. I believe this to be only a 15 amp outlet since when I play pin on any of my machines, the lights will flicker on all of them when the flippers are engaged. I feel that these new outlets will fix that problem while preparing for the future.

Thanks for the help

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Well I believe your thinking may be a little off, when you hit the flippers the Pinball machine is not distributing 120v its using the voltage allowed by the power supply/cpu/etc. I would believe you have more of a contact or grounding problem and not a supply voltage problem. When it comes to voltage it is what it is. A 20 amp or 15 amp breaker is not going to change the voltage. Having "stuff" plugged in does not change that either. Your draw in amps is what's going to cause degradation with your supply. I think 3 20 amp circuits is over kill but if you are going to do that remember its also about the wire size. I recommending not putting 14 gauge wire in that 20 circuit. Use at least 12 gauge to strengthen your circuit. Hope that makes some sense and helps a little.

I just figured since on machine's flippers firing caused the lights to dim on all other games, meant I was using too many things on one outlet at the same time. No? Sorry, I am an accountant, not an electrician by any means. I forgot to mention in the OP, but I will be using 12 gauged wire too. Thanks for the help

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Your electrician will probably put 5 duplex outlets on each 20A breaker.
    Most games draw 2 maybe 2.5 amps, or less if you use LEDs for the GI.

All games are without LEDs

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It could be a few different things.
    Having dedicated circuits, with new 20A duplexes, new tight connections, solid grounding and a new breaker will be a great start.

That is all I needed to know thank you. Also, might be worth it to mention: just to see if other outlets upstairs had the same response from the games, I tried two different outlets from upstairs buy running a long extension cable downstairs, and I got the same flicker results. This could be that those are lower amped circuits too, but I don't know.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It could be a few different things.
    Having dedicated circuits, with new 20A duplexes, new tight connections, solid grounding and a new breaker will be a great start.

Also, what would ensure solid grounding? I will have an electrician friend helping me, so I am not worried about it, I would just like to try and understand this process.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Grounding gives a safety path back to the neutral buss bar in the panel.
    As you have heard 100000 times, electricity likes the path of least resistance, so the safety ground is a better path than you are, in case of a fault.
    Make sure all your games have 3 prong grounded power cords on them.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

Okay, that is what I have on everything. Just wondered if there was something about grounding I wasn't aware of.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Like your satellite box draws the same amount of current, whether it's on or off.....

Now that you say this. With the TV, there is a sound bar w/ woofer, Direct TV box, Xbox one, gamecube, a modem and router, and a VCR (I know haha). So these plus my four pins are currently running off one outlet and sometimes they are all running at once.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Disagree. I have several williams games that reset in that state but when limited to 4 per 20 will never reset. (TZ, Shadow, STTNG). I think it varies game by game so to be safe, 4 per 20 is a good rule.

That is what I was thinking. 4 per 20, and it will guarantee that my power source is not the problem.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Phew! You had me worried when you said you were an accountant and doing this yourself. Electrical work is something that I almost always farm out. Sure, I'll swap out switches for dimmers or replace ceiling fixtures, but the real stuff gets a pro. Better safe than sorry with electricity.

Oh yeah. Don't worry. I will be the "supervisor" on this project haha. I just want to make sure my friend knows all the pinball information first since he doesn't know anything about what kind of power they require especially when running multiple machines at once.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I would hire an electrician and ensure the wiring is to code.

I did. He works for beer, so that works for me.

1 year later
    #27 8 years ago

Just put in my new 20A circuit and ran two outlets off it with 12 gauge wire. I have 5 games on it with a 6th coming soon and I get no flickers anymore when the flippers are engaged! Yay. Also I guess I didn't realize all my trough kickers were weak as now all the ball feed to the shooter lane on each game like lightning. Haha. Thanks for all the comment and help!

4 weeks later
    #29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Platypus:

I work as an electrician, It sounds like your old flicker problem has to do with a loose connection in the circuit somewhere, like an under tightened screw or poor wirenut splice, or connection in the panel like Stangbat mentioned above. Such problems are not unlike old and worn out connectors on your boards. Those back wired outlets where you just push the wire in the hole are junk and notorious for such problems, under heavier loads they loose their grip and conductivity. I always use "spec" or commercial grade receptacles as they hold up longer and "grip" the prongs tighter.
    If you have six machines I would recommend four or more duplex receptacles on that one circuit. gives room for expansion and eliminates need for splitters or powerstrips.

Thanks for the heads up! We are moving in the near future so I am in a holding pattern on buying anymore games so this setup is fine for me now. At the new house I plan to have 7-8 games per 20a circuit and have an outlet for every two games. No power strips. I didn't know you could get outlets that are protected from surges.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Platypus:

Oh that's funny, from your photo I thought you were a gynecologist.

I moonlight as a gyno.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lonzo:

I am building a new house with a dedicated gameroom. I had the electrician install 6 twenty amp circuits and I am planning to run 3 machines on each circuit. I figured that was conservative but would rather over do it than come up short. Also each circuit is controlled by a switch in the closet behind the bar.

Nice! I plan to do something similar.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-up-new-outlets?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.