Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Faces Segasa-Sonic, 1976

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20131008_211248.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi my name is Jeff. I recently purchased a 1976 Segasa Sonic Faces Pinball machine made in Madrid, Spain. There were several problems with this machine when I bought it. After purchasing the wiring schematic / Diagram, I was able to troubleshoot most of the problems. First off, the Bridge Rectifier was blown. There was no power to anything on the machine. I replaced that, and the 1uF 200V Capacitor related to the Bridge Rectifier. There are only a few components on this EM machine. I was able to verify the other Cap, resistor, and diode are all good. Second, the wiring on the transformer was shotty, and looked like there could have been some wire shorting going on. I can't be certain though. I re-wired, soldered, and shrunk wrapped all of the wires coming from the Transformer, replaced some blown fuses, and turned the toggle (Power) switch on. The Pinball machine came alive!! It started to fire all of the coils, and solenoids, actuated bumpers, and lights, solenoids were making the chimes ding, in some kind of a loop. I found out about having to set up the machine. I set the Score motor wheels to match the schematic. turned the machine on, and now It's sitting idle. Great!!! However, as soon as i put in a credit ( add a quarter, or manually push the coin contact, It goes right back into the crazy Firing solenoids, chimes just like before. I am able to actuate flippers, but the machine is going crazy running through this loop, like before I set the score motor wheels up. Is there other things to be adjusted before this will stop? The scores on all 4 players read all zeros. I did try to ad credits to the machine, but when I press the play button, nothing happens. I have to press the add credit contact ( add a coin) to get it to do anything. Any help in this would be greatly appreciated. I have spent lots of time repairing this Pinball Machine. I would love to be able to now set it up, and play it.

IMG_20131008_211248.jpgIMG_20131008_211248.jpg
#2 10 years ago

If possible, a video of the full progression from unplugged -> power on -> coin inserted -> machine going crazy would be very helpful, ideally both inside the cabinet and outside (playfield/backbox). Failing that, a clearer step by step description would maybe help. I never worked on a Sonic game and I don't know how they're set up. It sounds like the reset sequence isn't completing -- check all score reel zero-position switches, check switches on reset and/or game-over relays. There also might be some good info found in this thread, in which the problems described resemble your own.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from textrivers:

never worked on a Sonic game and I don't know how they're set up.

They are pretty much a Williams game as they use the same components,so they are not much different in operation.

Quoted from jeffconrail:

However, as soon as i put in a credit ( add a quarter, or manually push the coin contact, It goes right back into the crazy Firing solenoids, chimes just like before.

Check your coin switch contacts and make sure they are not mangled and causing your issue.

#4 10 years ago

I will get a detailed video of what is going on. Thanks!!!

#5 10 years ago

The coin contacts are in excellent shape. Everything is as far as contacts, relays, coils, parts, "electromechanical" speaking, This is in awesome shape. I just need to learn the set up proceedure. I will post a video from power up to show what is going on. Thanks!!

#6 10 years ago

Looking forward to the video. It helps a lot in this kind of situation.

The score reels dont move when all the frenzy is taking place?

Any chance you can make a nice scan of the schematic?

#7 10 years ago

Not sure why the coils would be firing. I'm guessing a short somewhere on the playfield? Try and isolate the issue by disconnecting the playfield from the cabinet. If it's still cycling then check the score reels

#8 10 years ago

Oh, and check the jones plugs to make sure all connectors are aligned properly and examine for shorts there.

#9 10 years ago

I would be remiss if I didn't ask where you found it, and request that you'll let me know if you ever decide to sell it. I love Sonic games!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Not sure why the coils would be firing. I'm guessing a short somewhere on the playfield? Try and isolate the issue by disconnecting the playfield from the cabinet. If it's still cycling then check the score reels

This is good advice. Remove the playfield and power up the game without it. Set your score reels to zero and start a game. If you get the same behavior as before, at least you can rule out the playfield.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I love Sonic games!

Same here^^
The most durable playfields of all the Em`s,but the cabinets being constructed of particleboard not so much.

#12 10 years ago

All these are excellent Sugestions!! I can't wait to get home from work, and give these a try!!

The schematic for Faces, is like 6 foot long, and one piece. Ha ha. IT's too wide and long to scan. Sorry. I had to purchase this online for $19.00 on Ebay. I'm not sure how I can scan this for you??

I will try isolating the score reels, and then the Playfield, and see If that plays a part in things.

i have to admit, I'm getting to the point where If I can't get this machine set up, I'm probably going to look to sell it.

I have soo much time invested in this Piball machine, and I know there are collectors out there that would probably

knoe exactly how to set it up. I just don't know the proceedure.

I'm good at Electronics, and relays, and such, but the whole "you got to have everything in the exact place to start

up the machine" I'm lost!!!

I will give It another shot with this advice.

Thanks to Steven P, Pin-it, Pafasa, & Barron for all the help !!

Jeff

#13 10 years ago

This weekend I will get the good video of everything that is going on.

Thanks !!

Jeff

#14 10 years ago

Scan your schematic in pieces and send the separate files. Scan at 300dpi is good enough. Black and white PDF or JPEG. I can assemble them back into one digital file as long as there is some overlap between scanned images.

Don't sell. Let us help you figure it out. PM me and I will give you an email address to send the scans to. When I have it ready, I can distribute it to the others helping here.

#15 10 years ago

OK I'll get to work scanning the schematic . I appreciate It. Yea, I'd really rather not sell it, I'm grateful for the help!! That gives me hope, that I don't have to.

Thank You !!

Jeff

#16 10 years ago

I don't mind giving out my Email to those helping. It's
[email protected]

Thanks

Jeff

#17 10 years ago

This is AWSOME!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-up-my-sonic-faces-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.