1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by newmantjn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9859 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9858 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9847 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9819 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9817 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9815 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I have a lot of broken and missing card flags on my backbox relay bank for the King of Diamonds that I am working on currently. I bought the flags and rivets from Steve, but I am stuck not knowing the procedure for installation. Has anybody done this before? What procedure did you use? Bonus points if I can do it with standard shop tools, rather than buying a $100 tool that I will only use once. The rivets are tiny, 3/32 nominal sized.

IMG_9815 (resized).jpgIMG_9815 (resized).jpgIMG_9816 (resized).jpgIMG_9816 (resized).jpgIMG_9817 (resized).jpgIMG_9817 (resized).jpgIMG_9819 (resized).jpgIMG_9819 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

I start with a center punch to start the flaring of the rivet. Then I have a nail set to flare it a little more. And then I use a flat face punch to finish it off/tighten it up.

I do have a standard rivet punch but its too fat to get in near the post.

And make sure the yellow sheath on the arm is free to spin, dont hamper it with the rivet. Helps operation of the bank.

#3 1 year ago

Well, this is what I ended up with. Not pretty, but functional.

IMG_9847 (resized).jpgIMG_9847 (resized).jpg
    #4 1 year ago

Yea, same here. as I mentioned, make sure the yellow sleeve still turns freely. Ive carved a little off the bottom by the rivet to ensure...

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Yea, same here. as I mentioned, make sure the yellow sleeve still turns freely. Ive carved a little off the bottom by the rivet to ensure...

If you look carefully, I bent up the rivet on the side closest to the yellow sleeve, based off your tip. Thank you.

#6 1 year ago

I bought a tool off Amazon for $12 to see if it would be any better. It did a better job setting the rivet, but wouldn't fit for the top rivet, due to clearance issues with the yellow sleeve. So, I made a similar tool from a Harbor Freight punch. It did a decent job. All in all, they look a little better than my original attempt.

IMG_9858 (resized).jpgIMG_9858 (resized).jpgIMG_9859 (resized).jpgIMG_9859 (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

What you just ground down the bottom punch? I need to get you to make me one of those...

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

What you just ground down the bottom punch?

It was a flat bottom Harbor Freight job from the set of 8 or something like that. I just chucked it up in my drill press and held a file on it until it was the shape I wanted. The punch is black, but it is not hardened to any degree.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-tubular-rivets-3-32-for-relays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.