Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by dpkzone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210622_230001[2].jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi, just got a Stern Spike pin. A manual didn't come with the game, and the one I downloaded from Stern pretty much sucks. Is there a way to set game pricing at : .50 = 1 credit / .75 = 2 credits / $1.00 = 3 credits? The default game pricing is set at 'USA 11'. Is there a 'USA X' setting for the pricing I want to set up for the machine? Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

For that setup you may need to install custom pricing, and set the values/credits manually.
    Rather generous pricing...

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

For that setup you may need to install custom pricing, and set the values/credits manually.
    Rather generous pricing...

Thanks! So basically in the menu system. Ya, I guess so. I figure I may make more money this way.....

#4 1 year ago

I don't think you need custom pricing for this.

There should be a USA preset for that exact configuration. On my AS Pro it's USA 2 as shown; yours probably has it as the same number (or something very close to it).

The custom pricing's a PITA on Stern pins anyway.

20210622_230001[2].jpg
    #5 1 year ago

Thanks! I'll check it out....

#6 1 year ago

75 cents 3 for $2 on all games unless they are worth like $4000 and under.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Thanks! So basically in the menu system. Ya, I guess so. I figure I may make more money this way.....

Why give away so much margin? You could always price your game at market levels and reduce the price per game if you aren't seeing enough play. OTOH, it is a lot harder to just raise the price after starting out with 50 cents up to 3/$1.00 bonus play. Even if you own the location and don't have a split or are in a high traffic casual player location, I think you are making this harder on yourself than it needs to be.

#8 1 year ago

I have my stern pros at .50 cents a game. Very easy to just set. Ive found players are happy with that price as they get a good deal. I have dollar bill acceptors on all my pins too, I recommend that

#9 1 year ago

IMO .50 per play is a fair amount for a Stern Pro; unless the game was played to death and has non working features 3 plays for a buck is pretty generous for anything made in the last 10 years.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

IMO .50 per play is a fair amount for a Stern Pro; unless the game was played to death and has non working features 3 plays for a buck is pretty generous for anything made in the last 10 years.

As a certified cheap-o, I can honestly say this about charging $.50 per play for any modern (last 30 years or so) pinball machine: "Not anymore."

While I might like it at $.50 per play, that's just not realistic for money-making purposes in this day and age. Pinball with a DMD (or later) should be $1 per play, and should allow for EBs and free games. DBAs on the coin doors are most helpful in instituting this, but it's definitely time for pinball to be $1 per paid play. Now, it categorically should not be *more* than that right now, but in order to make money, pay for the value of the thing, for parts, etc., pins need to be priced at $1 per play.

I *hate* that I have had to say that, but I have. As cheap as I might be, other people are allowed to make money, too.

#11 1 year ago

I guess it really depends on the business model and clientele ... if your pinball machine has to make you money then I do understand it as these are not cheap machines. On the flip side if your machines are there to attract an older crowd that grew up with pinball machines and will normally drop $150+ a night on their bar tab and redemption machines then you can realistically put the pinball machines on free play and make money instead of them going to Joes Tavern on the other side of town that only charges $0.25 a game

10 months later
    #12 3 months ago

I am totally stumped. I have been through pricing adjustment (18) menu and the custom pricing menu in utilities for my stern spike 2 games and I simply cannot figure out how to adjust game pricing the way I want. I want:
    1 play = $1.50
    5 plays = $5.00
    Anyone know how to unlock the secret sauce here for me? Thank you in advance!

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from dpkzone:

Anyone know how to unlock the secret sauce here for me?

I don't have one to check.

Have you contacted Stern's Tech Support to see if it's possible ?

LTG : )

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from dpkzone:

I am totally stumped. I have been through pricing adjustment (18) menu and the custom pricing menu in utilities for my stern spike 2 games and I simply cannot figure out how to adjust game pricing the way I want. I want:
    1 play = $1.50
    5 plays = $5.00
    Anyone know how to unlock the secret sauce here for me? Thank you in advance!

Can I assume you have two 25 cent coin mechs on your machines? If there is a dollar bill acceptor I am not sure how that factors in but I would imagine the bill acceptor just generates a set amount of "units" which is Stern's terminology which we can think of as pennies.

Check you Coin Door Settings
    ---------------------------------
    Ensure your machine is setup to payout 25 units per pulse, so that each coin is worth 25 cents. This may be default.

My machine is setup for Canada where we use $1 and $2 coins mostly for pinball. As such my Coin Door was set to register 100 units per pulse, ie 100 pennies per $1 coin. And the $2 coin slot is set to register 2 pulses per coin, ie 200 pennies per $2 coin. Long story short the Units per Pulse is the smallest denomination you can adjust your prices to.

Setup Custom Pricing
    ------------------------
    This is not intuitive at all. I found this portion of the Spiderman manual online and the principles are the same.
    https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/7445122/download-stern-pinball

Clear any preset custom pricing which should bring you back to Custom Pricing with 0 Credits At: $0.25

First and foremost, do not adjust the credits yet, first set your price to $1.50.
    * Select NEXT until "At:" is flashing
    * Select EDIT
    * press + until you raise the price to $1.50
    * Select to lock this in
    * Select BACK until "Credits" is flashing
    * Select EDIT
    * + once to set 1 Credit At: $1.50
    * Select to lock this in

Repeat the steps above for $3.00 and $4.50

Now lets set the $5 for 5 games
    * Select NEXT until "At:" is flashing
    * Select EDIT
    * press + until you raise the price to $5.00
    * Select to lock this in
    * Select BACK until "Credits" is flashing
    * Select EDIT
    * + 2 times to set 2 Credits At: $5.00
    * Select to lock this in

You should now have 1/1.50 2/3.00 3/4.50 5/5.00

Now I would certainly test this as I am just fooling around with the settings but everything looks right. I performed the above on a Deadpool Pro which is a Spike 2 machine. I did a couple of test simulating a $1 coin as 25 cents and this seems to be working.

The TL;DR version:
    * set 1 credit at: 1.50
    * set 1 credit at: 3.00
    * set 1 credit at: 4.50
    * set 2 credits at: 5.00

#15 3 months ago

This is awesome help. I will test tomorrow and then go to Stern support if this doesn’t solve it. Thanks vey much.

#16 3 months ago

This 100% worked exactly as you described. Thank you so much for taking the time to spell this all out! I really appreciate all of the people who jump in and solve problems in this hobby. Cheers!

#17 3 months ago
    Quoted from dpkzone:

This 100% worked exactly as you described. Thank you so much for taking the time to spell this all out! I really appreciate all of the people who jump in and solve problems in this hobby. Cheers!

You are so welcome, I am glad to hear it worked! I do not operate machines but I am fascinated by all of the menu adjustments to support operators so it was a fun challenge. I learned a lot myself

#18 3 months ago

You ever come to CT, you can play my game for free anytime!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!