(Topic ID: 78483)

Setting Stern games up for competitive play?

By lukerp

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by phishrace
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey all,

Maybe a dumb question, but if I'm setting a Stern game up for tournament play (read: KLOV Pinball league), if I just fire everything over to free-play tournament mode, will it take care of no extra balls at points thresholds, that sort of thing? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.

Luke

#2 10 years ago

What Game(s)?
    I like to go through and set all of them individually.
    No EB, Free play, No game restart, no lost ball recovery, Hard rules, etc..
    just run through the adjustments, change what you want.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Hey all,
    Maybe a dumb question, but if I'm setting a Stern game up for tournament play (read: KLOV Pinball league), if I just fire everything over to free-play tournament mode, will it take care of no extra balls at points thresholds, that sort of thing? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
    Luke

depends on game.. but usually focuses only on removing random elements or making them consistent across players. Things like EB normally are still handled by their own setting.. not tourny.

#4 10 years ago

Hey,

It would be TSPP and LotR. Thanks for the advice so far, though!

Luke

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

It would be TSPP and LotR.

First off, you've picked about the worst two Stern titles for a tournament. Way too long of ball times. If you jack them up and remove the outlane posts to speed them up, they won't be fun. Too hard to start modes. So unless you want to watch the sun come back up, I would suggest switching one or both games. Both great games, but not for tournament play.

That said, in standard settings on most any Stern, you want to set competition mode to yes and set extra ball limit to no extra balls. Competition mode is different than the player competition mode. Do NOT enable player competition. It's for use on location (hold the left flipper, hit the start button) and will confuse/delay things at a tournament. You also want to enable coin door ball saver, also in standard setting. This will allow you to retrieve stuck balls without ending a ball. Retrieve ball, put it in the shooter land and advise the player that the ball will autoplunge when you close the coin door (be ready!). I also enable 10 character initials and generally reset high scores, but not necessary. Enabling team scoring when it's not needed can make it a little harder for scorekeepers, but encourages side bets when playing four player games.

If you do use either of those games, you need to jack them up and remove outlane posts. Shoot for ~2 1/2 minutes average game time (< 1 minute average ball time) and adjust accordingly. That may sound low, but not all your players will be epic players. I've never heard a preferred setting for the outlane posts on the right side of TSPP. If you do replace one game, I'd recommend replacing TSPP. I believe feature settings are okay on TSPP. PAPA has suggestions for LOTR feature settings.

http://papa.org/competitive/directors/game-notes/

2 weeks later
    #6 10 years ago

Hey,

Thanks for the tips on setup. The reason for setting up the games that way is actually for the KLOV pinball league, which means there aren't actually going to be a bunch of players in a tournament playing on them. I just need to make sure they're set up in a consistent fashion such that some guy three states over playing the same machine is on a fair playing level.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=218501

Luke

#7 10 years ago

Oh, and I do have a question now that I've run through a game or two. It appears that when I was supposed to get an extra ball via gameplay (as opposed to at a point threshold), with extra ball limit set to "no extra balls", I was given a point value. Any insight on this, and how to either prevent that, or to only enable extra balls given out via gameplay objectives? Thanks again.

Luke

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Any insight on this, and how to either prevent that, or to only enable extra balls given out via gameplay objectives?

The tournament setting (competition mode) does that. Different games award different amounts of points for collecting the EB. You don't want to disable it and you don't want to confuse actual EB's with virtual EB's (points). Can't really do that anyway. You may be able to turn off points for an EB, but I don't recommend that. The software designers typically value the EB points fairly, to keep it a legitimate goal. 500k seems to be a popular choice (for Stern's), although one or two give out 1M. As a tournament director (or setup guy), you may choose to put a note on the apron showing the value of an EB. Your players will appreciate it.

Knowing how much an EB is worth and how hard it is to light is something you want to think about before stepping up to play a tournament game. You'll want to weigh the risk vs reward. If possible, watch others playing first to see if they're going for the EB.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-stern-games-up-for-competitive-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.