Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7230 (resized).JPG
IMG_7232 (resized).JPG
IMG_7235 (resized).JPG
IMG_7239 (resized).JPG
IMG_7237 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Please advise me on proper switch setting.

As I understand this switch, it is always open, then closed when the button is depressed partially, then switched yet again - this time to the EOS portion of the switch - when the button is pressed completely.

I have a newish Stern SAM pin but I worry my switches aren't reaching "EOS" and are keeping the coils in high-voltage when they should be ultra-low voltage. Why do I suspect this? Well, when I cradle the ball, I can hear the coil buzzing. If I had to describe the present orientation of the leaves of the switches, I would say it looks like three, evenly spaced fingers, each about 1.5mm away from the next.

Any suggestions would be *much* appreciated.

Thanks for reading my post!

Jason

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Please advise me on proper switch setting.
As I understand this switch, it is always open, then closed when the button is depressed partially, then switched yet again - this time to the EOS portion of the switch - when the button is pressed completely.
I have a newish Stern SAM pin but I worry my switches aren't reaching "EOS" and are keeping the coils in high-voltage when they should be ultra-low voltage. Why do I suspect this? Well, when I cradle the ball, I can hear the coil buzzing. If I had to describe the present orientation of the leaves of the switches, I would say it looks like three, evenly spaced fingers, each about 1.5mm away from the next.
Any suggestions would be *much* appreciated.
Thanks for reading my post!
Jason

Edit- I see now, walking dead. I don't have one of those to have experience.

Pictures help. What game is this? Compare to the other flipper if possible and do a switch test in the portal system. Look to see if eos is closing/opening. Check in the market to see what other people's flippers look like. Its common to post a picture of the underside of the playfield

#3 6 years ago

Check the coil stops.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Edit- I see now, walking dead. I don't have one of those to have experience.
Pictures help. What game is this? Compare to the other flipper if possible and do a switch test in the portal system. Look to see if eos is opening. Check in the market to see what other people's flippers look like. Its common to lost a picture of the underside of the playfield

I will take a picture and try the switch test - although this will be my first such test. I will find the switch test mode in the diagnostics menu.

Check the coil stop? 'tis a stiff metal bracket, with a rubber bumper to meet the moving plunger. I'm sure you mean I should glean something more than that, but I don't follow. Sorry.

J

#5 6 years ago

Modern stern flippers aren't high voltage/low voltage, they're pulsed high voltage. This pulsing makes the plunger vibrate, and if it's not making flush contact with the stop (either because the stop is crooked or worn) it'll make a buzzing sound. Remount the stop and if that doesn't help replace/swap the plunger and stop. In the end though the buzzing isn't hurting anything. You'd know if it wasn't switching to the low power pulses because you'd probably blow a fuse pretty quickly, or melt the coil. As long as it doesn't get notably hotter than the other coil you've got nothing to worry about

#6 6 years ago

Here are some pics. You'll see the flipper assembly has an always-closed EOS switch, which I assume changes the voltage when the plunger sits in the withdrawn position (as it would during a cradle).

IMG_7237 (resized).JPGIMG_7237 (resized).JPG

IMG_7239 (resized).JPGIMG_7239 (resized).JPG

IMG_7235 (resized).JPGIMG_7235 (resized).JPG

IMG_7232 (resized).JPGIMG_7232 (resized).JPG

IMG_7230 (resized).JPGIMG_7230 (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

which I assume changes the voltage when the plunger sits in the withdrawn position

Quoted from zacaj:

Modern stern flippers aren't high voltage/low voltage, they're pulsed high voltage

Also, although I don't have confirmation for SAM games specifically, every game with solidstate flippers in the 90s accounts for malfunctioning EOS switches. Even if the EOS is missing, the coils still won't blow. They have a maximum time they'll wait for the EOS before switching to hold power

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Modern stern flippers aren't high voltage/low voltage, they're pulsed high voltage. This pulsing makes the plunger vibrate, and if it's not making flush contact with the stop (either because the stop is crooked or worn) it'll make a buzzing sound. Remount the stop and if that doesn't help replace/swap the plunger and stop. In the end though the buzzing isn't hurting anything. You'd know if it wasn't switching to the low power pulses because you'd probably blow a fuse pretty quickly, or melt the coil. As long as it doesn't get notably hotter than the other coil you've got nothing to worry about

Thank you, Zach.

Your helpful post puts me more at ease. It's interesting to learn more about just how these flippers work. I had no idea about the pulsing high-voltage. Still, I don't like to hear all that buzzing each time I cradle, so I will check the stop. Significantly, this game is a low-play HUO example, so I could consider all these parts virtually new.

Thanks so much for your time!

Jason

#9 6 years ago

Thank you, Zach.
Your helpful post puts me more at ease. It's interesting to learn more about just how these flippers work. I had no idea about the pulsing high-voltage. Still, I don't like to hear all that buzzing each time I cradle, so I will check the stop. Significantly, this game is a low-play HUO example, so I could consider all these parts virtually new.
Thanks so much for your time!
Jason

The pulsed flippers suck Older DE games used high/low voltage like you supposed, worked much better. I rebuilt my PotC with brand new flipper mechs and one was buzzing within 50 plays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-eos-flipper-switches-on-sam-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.