(Topic ID: 80434)

Serviceability evolved - Demo at TPF

By gstellenberg

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

The innovations we've designed into the P3 aren't just for gameplay; they're also for making machines easier to service and maintain (both on location and in the home).

At the Texas Pinball Festival in late March, we're scheduling a couple of serviceability demos, where we'll be showing how easy it can be to service a machine that was designed with ease-of-maintenance as a priority.

What topics would you like to see covered? What are the most annoying service items you regularly face on traditional machines? We'll craft our demos around what you would like to see.

Thanks.
    - Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

What are the most annoying service items you regularly face on traditional machines?

Rebuilding pops and replacing and re-stapling lamp socket leads. Hands down this is THE most annoying thing in pinball and the one thing I will absolutely find any excuse not to do if the bodies and wafers are intact...

#3 10 years ago

OK - we can definitely address that. Pop bumper repair is much more convenient on the P3.

What else?

- Gerry

#4 10 years ago

Flipper rebuilds are always a good service thing that people half ass or put off for some reason.

-Jim

#5 10 years ago

How if any does P3 help detect "open coils"?

IE can't tell you how many times the damn STNG vibrates a solder joint loose on the coil (wire fatigue) and I go spelunking in the dark of TPF looking for why the damn thing isn't working.

What about DETAILED lamp /switch locations with English descriptions?
    IE if P3 is capable detecting bad lamps / switches? Kinda like Pin2k did?
    If so; in addition to a PF diagram... details on where that part might be. IE SW22 is out and is under the PF next to the so-and-so lamp.

I love manuals... but; how would P3 help me eliminate the need to flip open a manual to look at the schematics?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Flipper rebuilds are always a good service thing that people half ass or put off for some reason.
    -Jim

Yeah, I hate rebuilding traditional flippers. OK... flipper repair / replacement is on the list.

Quoted from Zitt:

How if any does P3 help detect "open coils"?
    IE can't tell you how many times the damn STNG vibrates a solder joint loose on the coil (wire fatigue) and I go spelunking in the dark of TPF looking for why the damn thing isn't working.
    What about DETAILED lamp /switch locations with English descriptions?
    IE if P3 is capable detecting bad lamps / switches? Kinda like Pin2k did?
    If so; in addition to a PF diagram... details on where that part might be. IE SW22 is out and is under the PF next to the so-and-so lamp.
    I love manuals... but; how would P3 help me eliminate the need to flip open a manual to look at the schematics?

OK - we can address all of this. Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

- Gerry

#7 10 years ago

I try to avoid doing anything that involves wood screws. It is inevitable, but i put it off for as long as possible since wood screws don't go in and out without some damage -ramp flap screws are the worst I can think of right now. It would be nice if the P3 avoided the use of these when possible.

#8 10 years ago

Hi Gerry

Not sure if P3 has any specific here, but on "normal" machines I hate it when replacing rubber rings and GI lamps involves taking apart half the machine when it's in some inaccessible location....

Mark

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

I try to avoid doing anything that involves wood screws. It is inevitable, but i put it off for as long as possible since wood screws don't go in and out without some damage -ramp flap screws are the worst I can think of right now. It would be nice if the P3 avoided the use of these when possible.

We were just having a t-nut vs nut/bolt vs wood screw discussion the other day. Minimizing wood screws is definitely a design goal.

Quoted from Snux:

Hi Gerry
    Not sure if P3 has any specific here, but on "normal" machines I hate it when replacing rubber rings and GI lamps involves taking apart half the machine when it's in some inaccessible location....
    Mark

That of course depends on the individual p/f design, but yes, the process of replacing odds and ends will be significantly easier/quicker due to our modularity. We'll certainly demonstrate this at TPF.

- Gerry

#10 10 years ago

Pinball 2000's ability to detect burnt out lamps was pretty awesome.

#11 10 years ago

Hi Gerry,
    Saw you guys at TPF 2012 and Expo 2013 and I got to say
    I was impressed.I think I read you were working on a completely
    new title with Dennis Nordmans Will you have anything to show
    at TPF 2014 Thanks Rick in Indiana

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

Pinball 2000's ability to detect burnt out lamps was pretty awesome.

Capcom beat them to it. And both systems think LEDs are burned out if they don't draw enough current.

LTG : )

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Capcom beat them to it. And both systems think LEDs are burned out if they don't draw enough current.
    LTG : )

I didn't know that Capcom beat them to it. I had to pull about 10 LEDs out of my Revenge from Mars because the resulting credit dot bothered me. I don't like LEDs in the first place, so I had no problem with making the swap.

I've always found it very interesting to see how designs change over time and across different manufacturers. I just picked up a Fathom this weekend, and the early 80s Bally slingshot and flipper mechanisms aren't anything like I thought.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Hi Gerry,
    Saw you guys at TPF 2012 and Expo 2013 and I got to say
    I was impressed.I think I read you were working on a completely
    new title with Dennis Nordmans Will you have anything to show
    at TPF 2014

Hi Rick. Yep, assuming the next 6 weeks of dev go well, we'll have a LOT to show!

Instead of talking about our vision and asking for patience as we work through the platform engineering process, we expect to have a playable game at TPF! It won't be complete or ready for production, but people will finally be able to see the capabilities of the P3 in action and better understand how the execution of our vision can benefit the entire industry. Software should be around 50-75% complete, with a few modes at 100%.

We'll be bringing the Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl game, which is the Nordman theme and has a number of innovative features. The serviceability demos will further show off the evolved platform.

Don't miss it!

- Gerry

1 month later
    #15 10 years ago

We'll be presenting this demo in our seminar at TPF: Saturday @ noon. It'll be part of an in-depth demonstration of the entire P3 machine and Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl game.

Be sure to come to the seminar and see why the P3 is arguably the most easily serviceable and customer friendly pinball machine in the industry (and perhaps the most fun to play).

- Gerry

#16 10 years ago

Very cool stuff Gerry. I won't be there, but I'd love to hear/see the demos. Any plans to record them?

#17 10 years ago

We're using our camera to project the machine. Maybe somebody else can record the seminar?

- Gerry

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serviceability-evolved-demo-at-tpf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.