(Topic ID: 217120)

Service outlets

By gregh

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 5 years ago

???

Prongs are different sizes for a reason.
    Soldering Stations have a ground for a reason.

Why not just invest a few dollars into a short extension cord and/or power strip instead of modifying machines, eliminating safety grounds, and risking damage grinding on equipment plugs

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If a tool requires a grounded plug, there is a purpose. Cutting off grounding plugs for any reason exposes the user to electric shock, and make the person a hack. If an old EM has no built in game grounding, you add basic grounding for safety reasons of the player and maintenance protection of the technician. If a person is asking to fully modify an older game for convenience of using modern polarized electric tools with or without a grounding pin, this is not advised. The reason is straightforward, the game never supported this function, so do not do it, use an external connection for necessary tool power.
    I actually have seen people do some less than intuitive things off both the power and neutral leads.

As an added note, I honestly don't like messing with old service outlets in general. May have corrosion internally (though don't have examples of this), but mostly I just don't like taxing vintage wiring with even a 2 prong soldering pencil (though I rarely use one).
    I would not suggest removing/modifying the original service outlet in this type of machine; I see no point in stressing old wires around unnecessarily. Only exception I could think of would be if outlet/wiring was physically damaged or modified poorly in the first place.

I usually use an extension cord or occasionally use one of my trouble lights that has a 3 prong plug on the side of it (some only have 2 prong, but not hard to find a 3).

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also pulling the cord or extension cord over the side of the cabinet and having all that gravity act against you is hell.

Never had that problem. But sure, if u let connectors free hang, I suppose.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from goldenboy232:

I have an overhead retractable power cord mounted to the extra outlet in the ceiling of my garage (where the garage door opener is plugged in) so pulling the cord down and over to the game I need to work on generally avoids the gravity issue.

If I'm using a shop/trouble light even just as an extension cord inside, I frequently gently hang off something like a shooter rod or if no cash box, sometimes in there. Love the retractable lines in garage/shop space though.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If they got fried. How could they tell you ?
    LTG : )

Is that like the ambulance chaser commercials for different meds that say stuff like 'if you died, call now!'?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/service-outlets?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.