Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tog (resized).jpg
    pic (resized).jpg
    outlet (resized).jpg
    B8466B10-DAAB-43D2-86F3-C414126F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    #1 8 years ago

Can I plug anything in the service outlet WHILE the game is running? Like a 12 volts led strip using an AC adapter?

Can it lead to problem and should only use it when the game is turned OFF?

#2 8 years ago

You can use it. Bear in mind anything you plug into it will be on all the time the game is plugged in, whether turned on or off.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

Echoing Lloyds comments, it is not a switched outlet. When the game is plugged into the wall, the outlet is hot and not affected by the on/off switch on the game. You would need another switch to control the led lighting. OR, you could just put the pin on a power strip with a surge protector and a switch and use that.

G

#4 8 years ago

I use the service outlet in my LOTR to power some interactive LED strips that light up a Gollum and Gandalf figure on top of the backbox. I just turn the LED strips on and off using a remote control outlet that's plugged into the service outlet. Bought the remote control at Costco. It's similar to this one from Amazon (but I haven't tried the Amazon one):
    http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Electrical-Household-Appliances-Christmas/dp/B0087EIDRS/ref=sr_1_3

#5 8 years ago

It would take you 5 minutes to wire the service outlet to the power switch, causing it to go on and off with the game.

#6 8 years ago

Don't plug anything into the service outlet that draws over 100 watts or you'll blow the machine's main line fuse. It was never intended to power anything more than a clamp light or a soldering iron.

#7 8 years ago

I've got my TZ cab LEDs in a switched service outlet with a 12V power supply. No need for surge protectors or remote controls.

#8 8 years ago

An alternative to making the service outlet switched is simply wiring the mod power supply to the bill accepter 120v

#9 8 years ago

Don't try plugging in a vacuum cleaner in either blows fuse right away. How do I know?

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Don't try plugging in a vacuum cleaner in either blows fuse right away. How do I know?

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Or an electric drill.

#12 8 years ago

Yeah I think mine had a two and a half amp fuse. I'm surprised you can plug a soldering iron in. I thought it would have been un fused outlet able to handle what the main cord could just like an extension cord. Definitely NOT the case.

#13 8 years ago

The main 8A fuse is after the service outlet. You should be able to plug in whatever the line cord amperage is.

3 years later
    #14 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

It would take you 5 minutes to wire the service outlet to the power switch, causing it to go on and off with the game.

Does anyone have detailed instructions with pics on how to do this?
    There's this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poor-mans-sub-addition but the pics aren't that clear to me.
    I want to power some LED strips off the service outlet but don't want to blow up the machine or kill myself in the process.
    I want to do it on my Johnny Mnemonic (WPC-S)

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from dluth:

I want to power some LED strips off the service outlet but don't want to blow up the machine or kill myself in the process.
    I want to do it on my Johnny Mnemonic (WPC-S)

Unplug the machine, unscrew the power box from the cabinet. Take a good pic of the inside of the power box showing the wiring. I will show you which wire to remove and where to reconnect it.

#16 5 years ago

http://www.flippers.be/power_wiring.html
    Do this at your own risk - unplug the machine from the wall !

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Unplug the machine, unscrew the power box from the cabinet. Take a good pic of the inside of the power box showing the wiring. I will show you which wire to remove and where to reconnect it.

Thanks! Does this help?

B8466B10-DAAB-43D2-86F3-C414126F37E7 (resized).jpegB8466B10-DAAB-43D2-86F3-C414126F37E7 (resized).jpeg
    #18 5 years ago

Pic is just fine. Any other questions just ask.

outlet (resized).jpgoutlet (resized).jpg
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Any other questions just ask

Could it be possible to add a switch? So it's either one setup or the other on a flip of a switch.

Best of both world. Not sure how it would look though...

#20 5 years ago

Thanks, I think that makes sense! So I don't need to do anything to the white wires as http://www.flippers.be/power_wiring.html suggests?

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from dluth:

So I don't need to do anything to the white wires as

No, it's not needed.

Quoted from Plumonium:

Could it be possible to add a switch? So it's either one setup or the other on a flip of a switch.

Yes if you use the correct switch. You need a double pole, on, on switch.

#22 5 years ago

Can you plug in another pin?

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Can you plug in another pin?

Sure if you limit it to just one.

#24 5 years ago

Thanks GRUMPY and aeneas, I’ve had success. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but was too nervous to try, but it was pretty straightforward with your help.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Could it be possible to add a switch?

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/carling-technologies/2FB53-73-TABS/432-1076-ND/483648

Lets say you drill a hole (red star) next to the fuse and mount the switch.
    Then take the black wire from the service outlet and cut it in the middle between the crimp connector and service outlet so both wire ends can reach the new switch.
    Add a pink crimp spade connector to each of the 2 black wires ends, install the black wire from the service outlet to the center terminal of the switch, install the other black wire to one of the outer switch terminals. For the last wire, take the left black wire from the fuse holder and cut it @ 2 inches from the pink connector. Take both cut ends of the black wire and put them together in a yellow crimp spade connector and install it on the last switch terminal.

pic (resized).jpgpic (resized).jpgtog (resized).jpgtog (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/service-outlet-inside-cabinet?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.