3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Why is the service outlet limited to 1A (230V) or 2A (115V)?
    It seems that it is connected straight to the power cable coming from the wall, no fuse between them.
    So, why this limitation?

Game is Flintstones.

#2 3 years ago

I know in Australia we are on 230v system and most residential outlets are 10A and so on.

The game could be at peak - say in a multiball using up to 9A which would leave 1A available. If say the service outlet was consuming 2.5A and then the game hits it's peak a brief reset of the computer board may occur...

Also from what I have been told the service outlet is always on so not idea as when the machine is off the service outlet si still running / on.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Also from what I have been told the service outlet is always on so not idea as when the machine is off the service outlet si still running / on.

Service outlet is on when the game is turned off. This is for repairs.

Probably so you don't have the game turned on and plug a vacuum cleaner into the service outlet, and melt the cord between the game and wall outlet.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

melt the cord between the game and wall outlet

Is the varistor wired before the service outlet?
    If so, maybe the varistor is something that would also melt.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

Is the varistor wired before the service outlet?
    If so, maybe the varistor is something that would also melt.

Nope. In WPC games, nothing is ahead of the service outlet except for the cord connection in the back of the cabinet.

I've actually plugged in a vacuum before and even another game into the service outlet and never had a problem. Obviously the game whose outlet I was using was off.

I can't think of anything that would limit the current to 2A as the fuse rating after the service outlet is 8A.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from ravve:

no fuse between them.
    So, why this limitation?

You basically answered your own question. It's suggested to limit the current consumption on the service outlet to less than 2A, because what ever you are plugging in is X amps + the game draw max amps (if it is on) and you could melt the wiring, exactly as Lloyd stated, because there is no fuse ahead of the service outlet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/service-outlet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.