Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by VacFink
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3890_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3892_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3891_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3893_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3894_(resized).jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hey, I have one of those sun windows above the wall in my living room. (See attached picture) I have an open floor plan with one pillar connecting two arch ways. I'm not sure if pillar is the word I am looking for but as you can see it blocks the room of some sunlight. (See picture) I'm getting my Williams IJ re-decaled because of a small accident in shipping.

Anyway, my question is this. Are any of my games susceptible to fading with my current setup? I do have a cover that I could put on the game on the far right when it comes if I need to. By the way, the window is facing due east when the sun comes up in the morning but by around 11 am there is virtually no more sunlight in that room. Also, I have cell blackout blinds in that room so no sunlight from the window. The first picture is probably the best barometer on how much light is really in that room and you can see how much light is on the right of IJ.

Thanks for your help. I would just hate to get 5 pins in there and have one or two fade.

IMG_3894_(resized).jpgIMG_3894_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3893_(resized).jpgIMG_3893_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3891_(resized).jpgIMG_3891_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3892_(resized).jpgIMG_3892_(resized).jpg
    IMG_3890_(resized).jpgIMG_3890_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I think the sun issues you are worried about are more about direct sun, through a window beating on a machine. Indirect light will not fade the machine as far as I have seen.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

I think the sun issues you are worried about are more about direct sun, through a window beating on a machine. Indirect light will not fade the machine as far as I have seen.

^^^ yup.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

OK great thanks. I wouldn't think so either with the exception if maybe the game sat in the same spot for 25 year or so. One thing I forgot to mention is that the window is probably about 20 feet from the machine if that helps as well.

#5 8 years ago

Looks like a great house and I would place them where you like. Life is to short to worry about a little fading. I don't think the sun you are talking about is going to harm any of them.

#6 8 years ago

I would get window film installed. Removes 97% of the UV light and also keeps your house cooler.

I did that 3 years ago, and it lowered my AC bill by over half.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Looks like a great house and I would place them where you like. Life is to short to worry about a little fading. I don't think the sun you are talking about is going to harm any of them.

Thanks Fiber, really appreciate it. I used to live in Woodbury and drove through your town for work everyday. Trekkie, great idea on the UV film. I definitely will do that as it will kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

great idea on the UV film. I definitely will do that

Be careful with putting after-market film on your double pane windows as it will void your window warranty and very likely cause seal failure in the future.

#9 8 years ago

If you have the film professionally installed, the film manufacturer usually picks up the remaining warranty on your windows, even against breakage.

If you install the film yourself, you can just peel the film off before the manufacturer's rep comes out to replace the IGU.

I've had my *arvin door-wall glass replaced twice already because it starts to get condensation between the glass after a few years. I'm sure it will happen again.

#10 8 years ago

Sweet thanks guys.

#11 8 years ago

Get it done professionally.

The way I see it, we all brush our teeth on a daily basis, yet it doesn't make us a dentist.

#12 8 years ago

The red in IJ is probably the most commonly faded color in all of pinball history. I wouldn't put a freshly decaled IJ anywhere near a window.

#13 8 years ago

it will fade even without direct sunlight, but it takes a lot longer. If the sun directly hits it, i've seen games fade a lot in 30 days. (yes it's that fast). It's still fading but a much slower rate. The UV film is the best way to go. Or a curtain.

#14 8 years ago

OK. Then when IJ comes back from getting new decals, I'll put it right next to the cell black out shade next to the window. Not a trace of sunlight is getting through there. I already have a cover so I can use it for the pinball to the very right of the room where IJ is now. Thanks.

#15 8 years ago

wait, why are you ruining that cabinet with decals? looks fine as is.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wait, why are you ruining that cabinet with decals? looks fine as is.

This would be why:

image1_(resized).JPGimage1_(resized).JPG

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

This would be why:

image1_(resized).JPG

Meh I would just live with it but that's me. I'd rather put the money towards another game or something.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from eggbert52:

This would be why:

image1_(resized).JPG

Is that just the decal or is the wood gouged also?

#19 8 years ago

Maybe consider getting the window's filmed with a UV blocker, I'd worry less about the paint and more about plastics an UV exposure.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that just the decal or is the wood gouged also?

Totally just the decal. Wood is perfect.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

The red in IJ is probably the most commonly faded color in all of pinball history. I wouldn't put a freshly decaled IJ anywhere near a window.

That's only because of how Williams/Bally had their cabinets screened back in the day and the red ink then used faded a lot.

New aftermarket decals use a different process so then won't fade like the original cabinets.

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of indirect sunlight like in the pictures.. and indeed get a film on the windows if you want complete security.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Maybe consider getting the window's filmed with a UV blocker, I'd worry less about the paint and more about plastics an UV exposure.

I had a SEGA/DE Maverick and acquired after-market plastics from mad-amusements. The machine wasn't directly exposed to sunlight and the red on the plastics totally faded within 6 months....

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from TVP:

Quoted from aeneas:

That's only because of how Williams/Bally had their cabinets screened back in the day and the red ink then used faded a lot.
    New aftermarket decals use a different process so then won't fade like the original cabinets.

What a relief....

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

The red in IJ is probably the most commonly faded color in all of pinball history.

Johnny Mnemonic???

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Meh I would just live with it but that's me. I'd rather put the money towards another game or something.

Wow, I'd also live with that....

#26 8 years ago

as for light causing fade. I have examples of games that spent their entire life in a basement bar with NO windows and games still got some fade on the side that was closer to the overhear fluorescent lights. It was minimal, but red, yellow, orange fade with even minimal light over time.

#27 8 years ago

I had a friend who bought a nice TZ. He placed it in his windowless basement, but he left his basement's flourescent lights on a lot. Within 3 years, the reddish-maroonish-purpleish color surrounding the sunrise/sunset on the one side of the cabinet exposed to the flourescent lights faded to pink.

#28 8 years ago

Pure curiosity, but has anyone seen a newer Stern machine that is faded?

#29 8 years ago

There's a Walking Dead near me where the deep red on the cab has gone slightly to pinkish hue after a year in a sunny spot

#30 8 years ago

you are going to do a complete redecal for that? I wouldn't. Sand off the ripple, and repaint that spot. Will look like new and keep your cabinet original. touched up original is worth more than redecalled any day.

#31 8 years ago

Red is the most light fast of color and will fade first, I have a LuckyAce and all of the red is faded to white. Not until I saw a picture on the web did I even know it had been red at one time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-question-about-sunlight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.