8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by The_Gorilla
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I was wondering, do you think "serious inquiries only" is just a polite way a saying "don't effen call unless you are paying full price?" something else...? I just think it's a funny thing to say. I wouldn't contact unless I was serious. Have a nice week....

#2 8 years ago

Who knows, I just think it is "control freak" talk - people who think they can somehow influence the behavior of thousands of CL ad readers by putting specific words in their ad.

Although once I was gonna offer 1500 skittles for a pin, but I read the ad closer and I saw they were insisting on "CASH ONLY"....so I guess it does work sometimes. I didn't waste their time.

#3 8 years ago

Funny thing isn't it Gorilla, I too wonder the same thing, as you said I would not contact you unless I was serious....I also like the comment "I am in no hurry to sell this Pin so..." Ok, good for you. If you want to get $1500 for your Pin then simply state so and emphasize "sorry, price firm".
    There is a Batman Forever out here for sale the looks pretty nice and could be a good deal, but the lister is an A-hole. I don't know him but the way he worded his description is annoying. He could offer it to just me for $50 and I don't know if I would take it just for the simple fact. "Yes, it has legs with it". REALLY!!?? Then what the heck is the Pin doing sitting on the ground? Moron!

#4 8 years ago

Some people reply to ads to get pics and really have no interest in purchasing the pin. Stating "serious inquiries only" probably won't make any difference because Bozos will be Bozos. I think they are also trying to weed out the people that offer you $500 for a $2000 machine. Probably doesn't work, see previous Bozo comment.

#5 8 years ago

lol I agree, I love hearing how one thing is broken with the pin, and it's an easy fix, but I haven't had the time to get to it.

Well if it's an easy fix, you probably should have been able to take care of that problem in the amount of time it took you to type that in the ad. If I venture out to see those ads, I'm more apt to haggle lower and not budge, as opposed to someone that's nice and not full of it.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from VT8man:

Well if it's an easy fix, you probably should have been able to take care of that problem in the amount of time it took you to type that in the ad.

With you 100% on that one VT8man. I hate when I see that! Not really sure what serious inquiries only is supposed to mean I pay no attention to it.

#7 8 years ago

The problem is that you have common sense and you can't understand why someone would say cash only.

I say cash only on all my ads. I had a d-bag show up, like the game and make an offer. He was local, and he wanted to pay me with "bank draft check." You gotta ask yourself, why would someone who is local, and who has the cash, insist on paying with a check. The only reasons for this is to screw someone.

It's a common misconception that bank checks / money orders can't be canceled. All a certified check does is validate funds, they CAN be canceled.

So yah, I say cash only because it's not obvious to everyone. I would take a paypal from most people that don't give me the heebie-geebe's though...

Serious inquaries only means that you can talk them down, but usually not much. I've had some guy bug me twice now about a game I'm currently selling trying to talk me down almost 10% which I personally think is a bit much, but saying no all day long is cheap and easy. I think any offer is better than no offer.

Quoted from examiner:

Although once I was gonna offer 1500 skittles for a pin, but I read the ad closer and I saw they were insisting on "CASH ONLY"....so I guess it does work sometimes. I didn't waste their time.

#8 8 years ago

Not to scare anybody...
    Sometimes it is just an easy excuse to see what other stuff is worth stealing later when they come over to "visit" with you on what you are selling.
    I stay away from selling on CL.

Seriously.

#9 8 years ago

I try and get my pin in the garage when I go to sell it so they don't see my collection. Clist is the only option up here.

I think the serious inquiries thing is to try and stop scammers. I put "Local purchase only" which has worked so far.

And yeah, most ads just plain suck.

#10 8 years ago

I've never really understood why people use the term "OBO". I guess it's meant to indicate that they are motivated to sell, but it just seems kind of pointless to me. Unless it says "firm", the fact that you can make an offer that is lower than the asking price is pretty much implied.

#11 8 years ago

Maybe the guy had a bad experience ?
    Once a police officer came over to look at a game I had up for sale
    and the stories about Craigslist being used as a way to gain entry into ones home
    make you want to think twice

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I try and get my pin in the garage when I go to sell it so they don't see my collection.

Collection or not- garage, home, etc...
    If they are on your property and know you have a Pinball Machine SC- they know that you are not just "scraping through life."
    Plus they have a face to go with the house as well as # of cars in the DW. It is a much more focused goal than just randomly driving down one's street looking for the easy target...
    Just my two Tokens SC.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

VT8man said:
    Well if it's an easy fix, you probably should have been able to take care of that problem in the amount of time it took you to type that in the ad.

I agree with this also. I like the one that states worked great, then we moved it to another room, and now it doesn't, easy fix.

I've moved my TFTC about ten times in two months, and no problems, and not just room to room. If it breaks that easy, I don't want it, seriously.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Once a police officer came over to look at a game I had up for sale
    and the stories about Craigslist being used as a way to gain entry into ones home
    make you want to think twice ...

I haven't sold a pin yet (still in the acquiring phase), but I will probably avoid CL when I do. Between Mr. Pinball, Pynball.com, RGP, Pinside, and possibly eBay, that should certainly be enough exposure.

#15 8 years ago

I hear you. There is just no other way to sell a pin up here. There is no club or anything. When they come in my garage, they see my house alarm, gun cleaning kits, and know I am in the Army. If I am in the house when they are, someone is not walking out.

#16 8 years ago

I think C-list is good real good you just have to be sharp
    dont invite 6 people you dont know into your home that may end up doing......?
    Screen your buyers and keep your prices on the high side should keep out the rift raft
    and never take checks only cash

#17 8 years ago

I have sold a car and traded a pin on C-list. It is a great resource, but I agree caution is warranted. The car was shown and sold in a public parking lot with many people in and around. With the trade I talked to the guy before seemed very nice and luckily all went well. I have an alarm of course, once I expand the collection I will need to move it to the garage so I will likely extend my alarm coverage into the garage.

Quoted from SealClubber:

If I am in the house when they are, someone is not walking out.

I am with you on this, I don't care about lawsuits after if they hear the alarm and don't vacate the premises in the time it takes for me to find them then its on like Donkey Kong. I would protect my house and family with lethal force without any hesitation.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

o\Once I expand the collection, I will need to move it to the garage so I will likely extend my alarm coverage into the garage ...

A very wise thing to do, in my opinion.

#19 8 years ago

But the whole 'Serious Offers only'
    shouldn't punk anyone out in fact let it keep home other buyers/collectors
    while you make conversation and arranger for a meeting to take place and possibly come home with a nice table.

#20 8 years ago

Wow, just got back from a full day of supply shopping. I was sorta sleepy this AM when I wrote the original post. It's amazing how one part of a conversation will lead to the rest! I am somewhat leery of CL buyers coming over, too. However, and I don't want to sound too naive, I live in a rural setting that is rather protected and usually don't mind strangers coming over.

Being a Gorilla helps, too, of course.

Seriously!

#21 8 years ago

'Serious inquiries only' is just to try and make the tire kickers think twice before they impulsively pick up the phone, or to make lowballers think twice.

Likewise, it can communicate that the seller is ready to deal. Some sellers put their pile of crap out on CL to "price check" it, with the idea that if some nut wants to pay top dollar he'll part with it.

#22 8 years ago

This is another line that I love:

"Note- Picture below is not the actual item. However, it is the identical model and color."

They can search the web for a picture, but can't take one of their item? Gotta love it.

#23 8 years ago

Things are not always as they first appear......
    About 4 years ago a mid 70s EM was for sale on C-list
    so I inquire and I get this kind of rough response and his email handle was
    BigBadJohn or something like that- so I'm like 'some biker dude I'll show up with the money and get my ass kicked' but you know - screw it I went anyway
    turned out to be a nice couple in a retirement complex and everything was smooth came home with a pin.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

so I inquire and I get this kind of rough response and his email handle was
    BigBadJohn or

so the big bad John was actually a reference to the bathroom???

#25 8 years ago

No I think it was in reference to an old song about a coal miner - by Johnny Cash

#26 8 years ago

ahhhhh... I see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 279.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Dystopian Mods Italia
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside