(Topic ID: 203480)

Serious Buyer or Tire Kicker? How do you tell?

By cottonm4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quadrat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mel.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 6 years ago

When I am selling, it’s first come first served. If you are the first to email about a game, you will probably be the first to see it. And then it’s just the smell test from there. Jerk me around, and the second person that responded will get a crack at it. Then I just keep going down the list.

If you are not first and you start making bullcrap offers to get to be the first to see it, I’ll remember who you are. Then when I sell another and you’re first... I’ll probably ignore you. You all know that type. “Oh, you have a deal for it... I’ll give you $100 more.” Why are you negotiating when I already agreed to sell it to someone. I hate if I’m buying and that junk screws up a deal I made. When I’m selling I hate it because you are untrustworthy.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What kind of things does a prospect do that makes you feel like you are being jerked on? Other than making bullcrap offers, what really POs you?

Honestly not that much POs me when I’m selling a game. A tire kicker doesn’t really take up that much time from the seller. Odds are I’ve already taken pictures of most things they want to see. So if they ask for higher res pics, I just send the bunch. And asking for pics doesn’t hold their spot in line. I’m just honest with everyone that I’ve got a game for sale. The ad stays up until the pin is gone. So when they are wasting everyone’s time kicking the tires, the game will probably get sold.

Lowballers don’t bug me. In fact I’m almost disappointed if I don’t get a couple of them on every game. Selling Game of Thrones was like that. I had two low ball offers on a game I had priced to move quickly. They came in almost immediately. And I replied no, that was not enough. They upped their offers, but they were still lowballing by a lot. The game sold the next day. One of them wrote back saying he would have paid me my full asking price, and the other said he would give me $100 more than my price. I found it funny because the game was priced so well. They missed out because they were screwing around.

It isn’t really jerking me around. I’ve held games for a week because the person who was first wasn’t able to get there right away. And that comes down to the person. If they sound like they are jerking me around, I won’t do that. So I guess it comes down to just listening to my senses. If I feel like I’m getting jerked around, I probably am. But if they sound honest and reasonable, they probably are.

And the easy part about selling is, I have a lowest price in my head before they get there. Offer me below that, and you won’t get the game. The only time that changes is if something goes wrong. I sold one where the display went out as we were play testing the game. So I took the cost of a display off the game and out it went. I’m sure I could have fixed it, but it was easier to just complete the transaction. He was buying two games, and seemed like a good guy.

Of course all this gets tested again soon, because I need to sell a couple more games due to space issues

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is how that works: I say I will take $3500.00. He will hem and haw and eventually leave after wasting my time.

Ok, now we are getting to the meat of this topic. You sent an email to him saying no, it costs this. And yeah, then there may be some back and forth. But why do you see that as such a waste of time? How long did it take to send the email saying the price is still $3500.00. Why do you see that as such a waste? Why is that a big deal? It seems like a pretty small effort to me. That is what I do not understand here. When you are selling a game, there is a small effort to do that. I just don't understand why you seem to think that is a massive waste of time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-buyer-or-tire-kicker-how-do-you-tell-1?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.