(Topic ID: 203480)

Serious Buyer or Tire Kicker? How do you tell?

By cottonm4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quadrat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mel.gif
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

It's so funny, the amount of judging that takes place. I have had some super deals from Pinside because of this. A new guy posts some stuff, everybody is crying scammer, guys turn out to be legit.

Somebody stated something about pricing right and the tire kickers go away, this is not true. If you price it to low then people assume it's a scam, or they offer an even lower price. You could post up a monsterbash that is 100% playable for $5k but might have some ware. Many people would be offering $4500, $4000 whatever. People are people and always want the cheapest deal they can get, and you are dealing with equipment that gets beat up over time.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Serious buyers aren't interested in small talk or picking things apart, they pay cash and leave.

I'm not necessarily going to pick you apart but I am going to look at condition and the condition needs to support the asking price. I'm going to see how stiff you are on your price.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

It's so funny, the amount of judging that takes place.

*Monster Bash (2 words, proper noun)
    *wear
    *My equipment doesn't get beat up over time

#54 6 years ago

“I’ll take it!”

-“great, send a $200 deposit to my PayPal address”

Nothing within 24 hours? Tire kicker. Virtually everybody else you never know.

#55 6 years ago

Here are some things I have learned from just being older, making good deals, making bad deals, being lied to, etc.

1) When I put a price on something and people start chiming in about how that's a great price, you won't have that one long at that price, that will sell real quick etc. They are not interested in buying and usually it is because they don't have any money. They would love to have what I'm selling but they ain't got no cash ( I just love double negatives ).

2) Next, the guy who comes in and the first words from his mouth are "Are you firm on your price?" could be a possible buyer but he is weak. OTOH, if he comes in and looks around make some minor small talk about some conditional items and then asks if I am firm on my price, I take that as a good sign I have someone who is sort of serious and he might have access to money. I can yes that yes I am firm but I now have wiggle room to say "well, maybe I can give up a little" and the dance for price discovery can begin.

If you have the only item for sale on the street you get to lead the dance. If you have competition like when it comes to selling tires you have to work harder. If it is the end of the month and your monthly nut is due you might get real price friendly just to raise some cash.

3) And then you have the guy who says you have a real POS and you are asking WAY too much and he will give this little bitty bit because it is such a piece of trash. I know he wants it bad and know nothing about how to negotiate. Take a hike, buddy. I don't like your attitude.

4) And then you have the "woudja takes. Such as, I am asking $3500.00 for this Gee-Whiz unit. And the other guy asks "Would you take $2500.00?"

Here is how that works: I say I will take $3500.00. He will hem and haw and eventually leave after wasting my time.

Or

I will get sucked in and say "yes, I will take $2500.00. And he will either say, "OK, great, let me go home and talk to my wife." or he will say, "Well, ABC car sales down the street has the same thing for sale for $2200.00 and I know for sure I am being screwed with.

OTOH, I can be asking $3500.00 and the other guy can say, "I'll give you $2500.00." Now, that's an offer. I may not like his price but I have an offer I can work with. Even if he is low balling me, it is still an offer and I can work with that. I cannot work with a "wouldja take".

Would you take $2500.00? or I'll give you $2500.00. Make me an offer and keep the "woudja take" at home.

Some people get mad at low ball offers. I don't. Low ball me and I laugh and say I appreciate the offer but I can't go that low. but here is what I can do. I mean, you can't blame a guy for trying. You never get laid if you don't ask.

5) Or this guy: He is a serious buyer. "You know, I really like your XYZ. I'd like to buy it but I only have this much money. If you can take this amount I will buy it. Now, you have to decide. Take his money or let him walk. Or maybe you offer to finance the difference if it is not too much. Some times that will work. but usually you will wind up taking what he offered. But it depends on how hot the item you are wanting to sell is.

6) Semi-related to the above: "Don't worry about it. We'll take care of you." When you stop and think about it, "We'll take care of you." is the biggest BS statement of all time. What does it mean? How are you going to take care of me? What are you going to do for me other than try to reach deeper into my pocket?

When the auto mechanic tells you he will take care of you...RUN LIKE HELL away. Ask me how I know this.

7) Closely related to "We'll take care of you." is " I have a pinball machine for sale. It has been shopped. It has been completely gone thru."

Oh, Really now. What does "completely gone thru" mean? Did you check and replace any mushroomed solenoid plungers? Did you replace all the beaten up coil stops? Or did you just lift he play field and vacuum the inside and wiggle a couple of wires? And maybe just replace the most visibly worn rubber rings and wipe on a little bit of wax?

Just what did you do to that pin when you tell me your pin for sale has been completely gone thru?

But I digress. Buyers give off signals. Time wasters give off signals.

What signals did your prospect give off that indicated that you may have a sale?

When did you pick up on that some guy is just wasting your time? What signal did he put out that you finally figured out you were being screwed with?

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Here are some things I have learned from just being older, making good deals, making bad deals, being lied to, etc. ....
    When did you pick up on that some guy is just wasting your time? What signal did he put out that you finally figured out you were being screwed with?

I read through your full text and I get your frustration. I'm beginning to think one of three things:
    #1 does this only happen on higher priced pins? (I've never experienced this on sub $2K pins I've bought and sold)
    #2 is it geographical? (a.k.a. do you have more "tire kickers" in KS than in OH?)
    #3 are your prices not really in the market range? (I've usually sold pins within about a week at fair price with zero problems with tire kickers)

I'm just not experiencing all these problems when I go to sell a pin, and I am postulating these questions as to why.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

It's so funny, the amount of judging that takes place. I have had some super deals from Pinside because of this. A new guy posts some stuff, everybody is crying scammer, guys turn out to be legit.
    Somebody stated something about pricing right and the tire kickers go away, this is not true. If you price it to low then people assume it's a scam, or they offer an even lower price. You could post up a monsterbash that is 100% playable for $5k but might have some ware. Many people would be offering $4500, $4000 whatever. People are people and always want the cheapest deal they can get, and you are dealing with equipment that gets beat up over time.

I disagree. Response is simple : my price is more than fair and someone else will agree with me. Then ignore the person. You can’t get all hurt over someone trying to low ball you. If your price is fair just say so and move on. Someone else will buy.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Here is how that works: I say I will take $3500.00. He will hem and haw and eventually leave after wasting my time.

Ok, now we are getting to the meat of this topic. You sent an email to him saying no, it costs this. And yeah, then there may be some back and forth. But why do you see that as such a waste of time? How long did it take to send the email saying the price is still $3500.00. Why do you see that as such a waste? Why is that a big deal? It seems like a pretty small effort to me. That is what I do not understand here. When you are selling a game, there is a small effort to do that. I just don't understand why you seem to think that is a massive waste of time.

#59 6 years ago

Just put "Price is Firm" in your ad.

If you don't get 10 calls in the first hour, you priced the game way too high, and will have to re-list with a realistic price.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Just put "Price is Firm" in your ad.
    If you don't get 10 calls in the first hour, you priced the game way too high, and will have to re-list with a realistic price.

A voice of reason in the wilderness speaks.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, now we are getting to the meat of this topic. You sent an email to him saying no, it costs this. And yeah, then there may be some back and forth. But why do you see that as such a waste of time? How long did it take to send the email saying the price is still $3500.00. Why do you see that as such a waste? Why is that a big deal? It seems like a pretty small effort to me. That is what I do not understand here. When you are selling a game, there is a small effort to do that. I just don't understand why you seem to think that is a massive waste of time.

Sorry for the confusion. I was going back in time to when I was working a car lot and burning shoe leather and either standing in the sun or freezing on the cold while someone wanted to jawbone. For trading emails, it is not a problem---for me anyway. But others have different ideas.

#62 6 years ago

Tom Grizzard is excellent at sniffing out dumb questions. Ask him.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Vx5VSPKlqz

There is a whole thread that shows what NOT to do:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-no-atlanta-tom-grizzard-is-back

#63 6 years ago

I like it when a low ball offer comes in and I accept it. But now the person still can't buy it why waste the time to send an offer if you can't. Everyone wants the lowest price and use a payment method that only protects them. People want a deal, I get it, but on top of it they want the option to have your pin and do a charge back if they want leaving the seller out to hang.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Tom Grizzard is excellent at sniffing out dumb questions. Ask him.
    https://vocaroo.com/i/s1Vx5VSPKlqz
    There is a whole thread that shows what NOT to do:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oh-no-atlanta-tom-grizzard-is-back

Yikes

#65 6 years ago

I have a question about whether or not a SELLER is serious. I have had three times now where a seller lists an ad, we have a deal, I am READY to come check it out and give a time and date, and the seller says “oh yeah, well I wasn’t ready to sell it to you on that day anyway...” or “my wife...” . One guy I had sent a $500 deposit and still pulled it, which I find despicable. WTF. I always have cash in hand and the truck is ready. If you are serious, sell me a game.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have a question about whether or not a SELLER is serious. I have had three times now where a seller lists an ad, we have a deal, I am READY to come check it out and give a time and date, and the seller says “oh yeah, well I wasn’t ready to sell it to you on that day anyway...” or “my wife...” . One guy I had sent a $500 deposit and still pulled it, which I find despicable. WTF. I always have cash in hand and the truck is ready. If you are serious, sell me a game.

I just love when that happens, say you’ll be right over, and you do.....but no seller. Just love standing outside somebody’s house like a goof ball. Then you never hear from them again. THAT is a waste of time.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from locksmith:

I always ask for phone calls only. That usually does the trick.

Seems like those who have always wanted to talk on the phone have been the tire kickers. Every successful deal I've done here and going back to arcade games on KLOV were all completed by just a few concise PM's. What do you need to hear on the phone that will seal the deal moreso than a straightforward PM?

#68 6 years ago

I’ve only bought and sold a few but if I show up to buy I have the money and if we work it out I buy it. When I’ve sold I don’t get the guys that show up and offer but don’t have the money. I was patient with one guy who came by and looked the game over and we agreed on a price and he said he’d come back after work to get it. Of course something came up so we agreed on the weekend. He couldn’t make it. I called him during the next week and asked when he could come by and he said he was out of town for a couple weeks and he understood if it was gone when he came back. I gave him a shot because he was first but after that I went to the next guy and sold it.
    If he would have said he needed a couple weeks to get the money or some explanation it would’ve been fine. I was in no hurry to get rid of it. But I don’t like the mind games. That’s been the worst for me but other guys say they’ll come and never show up. It’s not that hard to be honest with someone.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I like it when a low ball offer comes in and I accept it. But now the person still can't buy it why waste the time to send an offer if you can't. Everyone wants the lowest price and use a payment method that only protects them. People want a deal, I get it, but on top of it they want the option to have your pin and do a charge back if they want leaving the seller out to hang.

I find this real easy...

The price isn't finalized till the buyer sees the game. The game isn't sold until the buyer has handed over the money.. and they are hauling it away. Anything before that is simply setting up the time to see the game and pick it up.

If as a buyer can't go see a game for a week+ - you aren't really in the market right now to be buying a game.
    If as a buyer can't get the funds in 1-2 business days - you aren't in the market right now to be buying the game.

Personally I think sellers are their own worst enemies when they consider a game 'sold' with a final price when the buyer hasn't even seen the game. Then its all the drama over price changes, 'when', 'holding a game' for someone, 'not as advertised', blah blah blah. People all have different views on condition, labels, etc... so don't think someone is locked in until the game is actually leaving.

Arrange an appointment, and show up ready to haul away with cash. Anything less than that, you weren't really first in line. If the buyer can't haul the game right away, then don't sell it unless its in your interest to do so.. but now you bear some of the responsibility too.

Sellers should respect the order in which they've agreed to meet people, communicate if they can't meet the commitment, represent stuff accurately, and not play 'auction'. Buyers should be on time, communicate if something happens you can't make your appointment, have cash, and be ready to haul... with THEIR labor and tools. If you can't do that... you're a tire kicker or at least, inexperienced buyer.

Have never had a single bit of drama doing it this way... except people who get upset that you won't label the game sold because you made an appointment. If I said you can come see it, it will be available when you get here, but I'm not going to set myself up for false expectations by thinking some random is the most reliable, awesome buyer in the world.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Seems like those who have always wanted to talk on the phone have been the tire kickers. Every successful deal I've done here and going back to arcade games on KLOV were all completed by just a few concise PM's. What do you need to hear on the phone that will seal the deal moreso than a straightforward PM?

The phone is just a more efficient way to handle back and forth and followup questions. It's the same thing in business... if you see more than 4 replies back and forth drilling on the same thing... don't reply, pick up the phone and talk. It will go faster, with less confusion, and less risk of someone getting their feelings hurt over some misread.

#71 6 years ago

I just think it's weird to ask someone to sell for a lower price and when you say ok, they back out. Don't make an offer if you can't buy. Ask a million questions but won't come look at it or put a deposit down. Then finally someone serious gives an offer I accept and a couple hours later game is picked up. I personally would not ask someone to take a price then back out when meet. I buy that's why I contacted them and gave a price.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I just think it's weird to ask someone to sell for a lower price and when you say ok, they back out. Don't make an offer if you can't buy. Ask a million questions but won't come look at it or put a deposit down. Then finally someone serious gives an offer I accept and a couple hours later game is picked up. I personally would not ask someone to take a price then back out when meet. I buy that's why I contacted them and gave a price.

I Guess what we're saying is it takes some integrity on both sides. Don't open your mouth unless you're ready to sell... or buy. Open your mouth, open your wallet

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

IF I’m serious about buying a pin, i will send you a PayPal deposit. It shows I want it and for you to hold it for me. I’ve also bought and sold with no deposit, it is hard to trust people you’ve never met.

Agreed, Some people think deposits should be refundable. So it seems pointless to collect one these days. However a deposit is designed to say "I am putting money in place as a promise that I am holding up to my end of the agreement or you get money"

#74 6 years ago

Exactly!!!!! Something so simple should stay simple.

#75 6 years ago

IMO: I don't text.
    I hate calling, but I will do it only to touch base with you on setting up the pickup.
    I prefer email. I can ask more info about the pin and sometimes to get better pictures.
    I don't put money down and only pay in full on pickup.

I have a seller that has went dark on me (no email, no callback) wanted to sell the whole group and will give him a couple more days. But it's his loss as it would be yours if I was dealing with you and this happened. My money would only go to the next seller with a pin I'm interested in. Money is still warm in my pocket.

Price is never "Firm". Just give it enough time and it will come down. Have seen people relist with price is "Firm" again and I just smile on that one.

#76 6 years ago

Treat a pinball deal the same as a child kidnapping. The longer it takes to work a deal the higher the chance that its a tire kicker. Anything beyond 48 hours from the initial contact "I'm interested in your game, is it still for sale?" and next response is potentially a tire kicker. Most serious buyers WANT to contact you.

Email or txt is fine at first. Once you've established some kind of connection it would be nice to speak on the phone to narrow down the deal.

Mel.gifMel.gif

#77 6 years ago

I've never sold a pin before but I've bought 3:

1st one was a Getaway I got from eBay 15 years ago before I had a clue about the hobby and what was involved with owning a machine. Fortunately it all worked out and the game was cheap enough plus this was well before all of the HUO and crazy prices.

2nd was an EATPM from a fellow Pinsider about 3 years ago, just prior to the prices going nuts, the price was fair and the condition was good so I paid the price. Good guy, good deal, just perfect and it was started with a PM and then emails.

3rd was a PZ, this was just recently but the same deal as above, a fellow Pinsider with a fair price and the condition was fair but he described it perfectly so I knew what I was getting. I offered him slightly lower than his asking price because of the title and he simply said "no" so I paid his price. Good guy, good deal and again it was started with a PM and then emails.

In all cases I was ready with my helper son, a van, cash and all tools needed to break down the pin and load it up ourselves. If I went to look and didn't like what I saw I would have walked. None of the sellers asked for a deposit and I may have backed away if they did because I get nervous about giving someone money for something that I feel the need to inspect before I buy; especially with all the scammers in this world. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for a deposit it just makes me uncomfortable.

Conversely, I had made a deal to buy another machine but I had to back out because my son had a medical emergency so some of my funds were now to be used for medical bills. When I contacted the seller he was upset that I had to back out but I never explained why I had to pull the plug because I was focused on my son. All is well with my son but if the seller asked for a deposit it would not have changed the situation...

Bottom line is you just never know who you're dealing with and what makes them tick so I guess you have to do what makes you comfortable.

#78 6 years ago

I've only sold two pinball machines so far. I didn't have any problems at all. The last game I sold I never even talked to the buyer until he pulled in my drive. It was just PM's. I also held the game for a couple days since he had a long drive to pick it up. He also wanted to pay in paypal in advance, but I wouldn't accept it for a couple of reasons. I wanted to make sure he looked at the game before paying any money. I was just holding it for him to look at. I would not have been upset if he would have backed out. My price on that game is what I wanted for it or I'd keep it. So, no big deal either way.

In other hobbies I have bought and sold a lot of different things. It is really hard to tell a "tire kicker" from someone that is serious. Different age groups,experience, communication,ways of dealing, trying to juggle money around, etc... I've been wrong many times trying to figure that out in advance.

Some people ask a million questions and others will say "I want it" and not even negotiate price with out any real questions ahead of time.

I have bought all different ways, it just depends. The last project machine I bought I didn't have a lot of money to work with but I had to at least try to buy it with what I had. So, I was upfront with the seller..."I'm not trying to low ball you, this is really what I have to work with. If you get to the point where you would consider taking that amount, I'd be interested for sure." A day later he called back and sold it to me.

I've offered trades of all kinds to people. Sometimes, a deal is made and others the seller gets upset. I sell the same way and never get upset over questions or offers. It's just all part of the game, it's a hobby, for fun.

A "tire kicker" may end up being your buyer. Maybe they will end up with the cash before another potential buyer comes along. You just never know! I've been in the same positions when trying to juggle things around. Your the tire kicker then something sells, now you can be the buyer.

After dealing with a lot of people in other hobbies? I really don't think there is any way of predicting or knowing right away, people are all different and deal in different ways.

#79 6 years ago

I buy and sell frequently. When I buy, I don't quibble over small amounts of money and when I sell, I expect the same. I love talking to fellow pinheads on the phone. And when someone asks if I have other pins for sale, it usually means they are trying to make the most of a shipping charge by buying two.

#80 6 years ago

I purchased a Swords of Fury from a pinsider, was asking 2,400 so I go to look it over, yes it was worth my 24 hundred.
    Then the guys says: since I'm a pinsider too, he'd sell it to me for $2,200
    Classy act!

#81 6 years ago

I've lost three pins over a $25.00 difference. Circus Super Star Roller Coaster Machines had no action on anybody buying them. Circus was bought by another pinsider. Super-Star dropped of CL and never relisted. Contacted him a few other times about it and would not go down the $25.00. Rollercoaster (not working) was finally sold after I checked back on it.

I kick but I buy on what needs to be fixed and assume there is something there besides what they say.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I've lost three pins over a $25.00 difference. Circus Super Star Roller Coaster Machines had no action on anybody buying them. Circus was bought by another pinsider. Super-Star dropped of CL and never relisted. Contacted him a few other times about it and would not go down the $25.00. Rollercoaster (not working) was finally sold after I checked back on it.
    I kick but I buy on what needs to be fixed and assume there is something there besides what they say.

I don't think I could let a three pin deal go for over $25.00. I would have paid (Only $25.00).
    There's always a new deal down the line. Hope you find one soon.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-buyer-or-tire-kicker-how-do-you-tell-1/page/2?hl=joker2415 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.