(Topic ID: 203479)

Serious Buyer or Tire Kicker? How do you tell.

By cottonm4

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

#1 6 years ago

Sometimes, trying to sell something can be a lot of hard work, a lot of ass kissing, or is just a general PIA.

When you are selling a pin how do you tell if you have a serious buyer or a tire kicker on the other side?

How can you tell whether you are dealing with a blithering idiot before you waste too much time answering questions?

What is your opinion on defining the difference between an intelligent question and a Dumb F'ing Question (DFQ?)?

How do you decide if the prospect actually has the money to buy or if he/she is jerking your chain?

#2 6 years ago

You can tell because they pay you and buy the game.

I’ve had plenty of “I’ll take it!!!”s disappear like a fart in the wind, and I’ve had plenty of the most obnoxious tire kickers surprise me and buy the game. You really never know.

If you can’t deal with it probably not the hobby for you.

Probably the best way to weed out the “I will take it!!!!” Guys is to immediately request a deposit. If they don’t pay up within a day they are probably flakes.

#3 6 years ago

You should always be helpful, if possible.
    Answer the questions and then ask for a non-refundable deposit of a few hundred bucks. Then if they don’t send it you’ll know. Now, when I sell a game, I never ask for a deposit, but I also don’t get my underwear in a wod if the buyer backs outs. Life goes on and I just realist it and sometimes keep it. If a seller gets that bent out of shape, they have their priorities all in the wrong places.
    Your going to get tire kickers in everything you sell, not just pins. Just my opinion.

#4 6 years ago

Mods: Somehow this turned into a double post. Can you delete or in someway correct this issue? Thanks.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Sometimes, trying to sell something can be a lot of hard work, a lot of ass kissing, or is just a general PIA.
    When you are selling a pin how do you tell if you have a serious buyer or a tire kicker on the other side?
    How can you tell whether you are dealing with a blithering idiot before you waste too much time answering questions?
    What is your opinion on defining the difference between an intelligent question and a Dumb F'ing Question (DFQ?)?
    How do you decide if the prospect actually has the money to buy or if he/she is jerking your chain?

The serious buyer puts down a non refundable deposit

#6 6 years ago

I and another pinhead would get this guy who would stop by and for 20 to 30 minutes play the game but not buy it. Second time different game listed same deal. Basically told him were not running an arcade. Never heard back again thankfully.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

The serious buyer puts down a non refundable deposit

Two situations:

1) You have a hot hard-to-find pin, place an ad, get an excited caller who says, "I'll take it. I'll send a deposit". No guess work on your part. Your price is his price. Condition is not an issue for this hot pin. SOLD!!

2) The pin is not the hottest. There are condition problems like may be a "little bit of wear here and there". Your prospect is the shy type. How do you filter the wheat from the chaff?

#8 6 years ago

Set a deposit price and a time frame to pickup. If they don't show, the money is yours for the potential missed sales from waiting.
    Figure a $1000 game = $100 deposit and 1 week
    Adjust price for your needs.
    Remember; no agreed timeframe = unlimited time to some buyers...

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Mods: Somehow this turned into a double post. Can you delete or in someway correct this issue? Thanks.

Folks, feel free to continue the discussion over here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-buyer-or-tire-kicker-how-do-you-tell-1

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-buyer-or-tire-kicker-how-do-you-tell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.